DIY Rust bubble repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ms500

Banned
I have a few small areas of bubbling paint on my car, like the one pictured :

http://i37.tinypic.com/s0wpd4.jpg

I would like to try and sort this myself; should I just sand down the area, apply primer, then paint? I don't have any experience with this kind of thing but I'd like to do it properly

I know the MB paint code for my car (199), would I have to go to the dealer to get a can of it?

Thanks.

Sand it back, treat with rust converter, prime with anti rust primenr then topcoat and lacquer.
Halfords sprays seem to be pretty closely matched, alternatively try Paints4 u.

Sand it back, treat with rust converter, prime with anti rust primenr then topcoat and lacquer.
Halfords sprays seem to be pretty closely matched, alternatively try Paints4 u.

do you think much of those halford scrath kits which have the primer and paint together or is it not suitable for this?

I have a few small areas of bubbling paint on my car, like the one pictured :

http://i37.tinypic.com/s0wpd4.jpg

I would like to try and sort this myself; should I just sand down the area, apply primer, then paint? I don't have any experience with this kind of thing but I'd like to do it properly

I know the MB paint code for my car (199), would I have to go to the dealer to get a can of it?

Thanks.

I repaired a section of rust on my 99 W202.
Have a look at post 43 for a really good guide for DIY rust repair. I followed it vividly and got very good results.

My car is brilliant silver in colour and the Helfrauds spray cans for this colour are actully very good. Not sure about your colour though. But bare in mind that even a spray can from the Stealership wont be a perfect match as the paintwork on the rest of your car will have faded due to sun and rain etc. (actually, just rain in the UK :rolleyes: )

The key to how good it will look is how well you prep it. Get the area nice and smooth and remove all signs of rust. Then put anti rust stuff on like Kurust, then primer (flat the primer with 600 or 1000 grade wet and dry) and then top coat. If they are small - up to about an inch or so - then you are better off using one of the touch in brushes. The spray goes too far! If you look in the yellow pages and find a local vehicle refinsher supplier - they supply the paint to the local body shops then they may have a facility to mix a spray can for you - these are usually very high quality. The best brush in paints come from MB dealer in my experience.
Whilst you are at the vehicle refinishers get some 2000 grade wet and dry - use this (wet with a bit of soap) to flat the top coat after allowing it to harden for a day then polish out with a mild cutting compound. You should be able to blend the new paint into the old like this - takes time though and patience.

the site paints4u looks good - they have some good quality stuff on there - I may try them for a spray can or two
thanks dieselman

I wish you luck with your repair and there has been an excellent link posted, but remember... You MUST remove ALL the rust and on that picture you posted it looks like there may be a significant amount??

If you get the oppurtunity, could you possibly photograph the different steps of the repair please?

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom