DIY Rust Repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemc2008

Car
BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
I'm going to attempt mine! I have more than enough to sort out.

Front drivers side wing - behind indicator.
Drivers door - along the bottom at the front.
Rear wheel arches both - light rust on inside lip only
Boot - Around lock and around where spoiler attaches
Slam panel
Front passenger side wing - Connecting to side skirt.

I've done quite a bit of painting, and damage repairs.. but never done rust.. Any there any How To threads or Tips? I know I need to take it back to solid metal.. fortunately, the rust isnt too bad.. and no holes!

Also.. considering completely removing the spoiler.. filling the holes back in on the boot, I will want a third brake light, where is this located bottom or top inside the car?

Cheers

Lee

Also.. considering completely removing the spoiler.. filling the holes back in on the boot, I will want a third brake light, where is this located bottom or top inside the car?

The high level brake light sits on top of the parcel shelf against the rear windscreen, there should be guide holes that are covered but need to be cut out to fit it. I've already done this on mine. However, you could get a new brake light (I think from an SLK R170), cut a strip along the middle of your boot lid (bodyshop job obviously) and have this fitted giving your car a new look.

However, you could get a new brake light (I think from an SLK R170), cut a strip along the middle of your boot lid (bodyshop job obviously) and have this fitted giving your car a new look.

Now thats an interesting idea and could work well if done well, the high level brake light from a W203 could work aswell I guess.

Alternatively there is the OEM option:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.coxon2/ledbrakelight.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom