DIY scuff repair help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JOB-BLACK-RAT

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 5 series 'ahem'
Hello folks!

Well I'm after your advice again, though good news, its not my car for a change!!

As cash is tight I have decided to repair the scuff my other half has added to the bumper of our 2001 model VW Golf :wallbash:

I successfully refurbished the alloys last week so have primer, correct wet and dry paper and now the body matched paint is on order for the weekend, (thats when I intend to have a go)

The problem lies in how to do it, despite a good old search I haven't be able to find an idiots guide on 'YouTube' as I did with the wheels.

Does anybody have a file, link or anything that can offer the advice on how to archive the best results from a tin of spray paint?

I hope this fantastic site comes through for me again!

Simon

Hi simon, have you a picture of the scuff mark? sometimes you can get lucky, and it will disappear with rubbing compound.

Make sure you get the touch up spray from VW. Only about £10 IRRC and comes with lacquer aswell and it's a perfect match.

Get a pic up of how bad it is..

You will need proper plastics primer and if it needs filling use plastics filler as well.

You wouldn't like to practise by repainting all the tubs on my patio Simon? They are all a little scuffed and would give you plenty of opportunity to improve your painting skills. :)

How big and deep is the scuff can you post a pic?
If smaller may be better to brush in and then wet sand down.
If bigger then spray it but try to keep it as small as poss.
First rub the edges of the scuff smooth with 400 grade W&D.Then use a small amount of filler if you need to build it up - rub this down with 400 / 600 W&D - use a sanding block to keep it level. Try to keep the sanded area as small as poss. Then mask up and spray primer - dont build up the primer up to the edge of the masking tape or you will have a horrid ridge of paint to get rid of. Rub the primer down with 1200 grade and make sure the edges are feathered into the surrounding paint. Then mask up again but this time wider area so that you can blend the paint into the surrounding paint. Let the paint go hard for 24 hours and then flat it back with 1500 grade used with soapy water. Polish with rubbing compound like Farecla G3 or G10.
It is easier on dark colours - silver is a PITA - and easier to hide your work on lower surfaces.
Good luck it will take longer than you think! But dont worry you can always rub it down again if it does not work first time. :)

Hello folks!

Well I'm after your advice again, though good news, its not my car for a change!!

As cash is tight I have decided to repair the scuff my other half has added to the bumper of our 2001 model VW Golf :wallbash:

I successfully refurbished the alloys last week so have primer, correct wet and dry paper and now the body matched paint is on order for the weekend, (thats when I intend to have a go)

The problem lies in how to do it, despite a good old search I haven't be able to find an idiots guide on 'YouTube' as I did with the wheels.

Does anybody have a file, link or anything that can offer the advice on how to archive the best results from a tin of spray paint?

I hope this fantastic site comes through for me again!

Simon

HI Simon,
if you can take a pic of the said scuff and post it here or email it to me
I can then give you detailed instructions on how to obtain a perfect job.

Regards
Clive

Thank you one and all, posted the thread then popped off to work and just got home to find all these!:D

Had a pants day at the office and this has put my faith in the race again!

Scuff has gone down to the black plastic, picked up the vw paint and top coat today, post a pic tomorrow.

Thank you again

Here is the pic of the scuff:

006.jpg

Seem to have a issue with getting the image size right, any ideas??

It does not look like you will need any filler - just rub down and paint. IS it just the centre piece where the black is showing or are the other marks on top part of the same damage? Either way I would leave those until you are happy with the result of the repair of the main damage in that centre section. Try very light sanding with 1500 used very wet on the top part and then use rubbing compound (like Farecla G3) to bring the shine back - dont rub the paint through though!
If you can keep all your spray work to that middle section it will not stand out so much.

Well the morning was lovely and sunny and I set to it!

The wingmirror looks fanstatic 'if I say so myself', the bumper on the other hand....hmmmmm:eek:

ended up witha 'patch' look, so had another go, then it rained :doh:

Going to have a go with a cutting compound, then t-cut then a good buffing and see what the result is, the post an after pic LOL :eek:

Well the morning was lovely and sunny and I set to it!

The wingmirror looks fanstatic 'if I say so myself', the bumper on the other hand....hmmmmm:eek:

ended up witha 'patch' look, so had another go, then it rained :doh:

Going to have a go with a cutting compound, then t-cut then a good buffing and see what the result is, the post an after pic LOL :eek:

sorry didnt get back to you but have been a little busy, take a pic to show me what your spray repair is like and we can go from there ok

Clive

try farecla g3 and or g10 - use the g3 wet - it is more abrasive than the g10.
Have you got an even paint finish and does it match colour wise?
If it is just a bit matt then leave it 24 hours to harden and flat it back (carefully - esp on edges) with 1500 wet and dry (used wet) then use the rubbing compound as above.

No probs clive, can you recomend a cutting compound??

Either G3 or 3M fast cut then finish with 3m Finnese it cream very fine none abrasive polishing will take out very fine scratches and put a high gloss shine on the finish

Clive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom