DIY service history - counterfeit Dealer stamps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst I'm not keen on the digital service record without a stamped book, you can see why digital records are necessary.

I find it amazing that dealers and traders bin receipts - presumably for data protection or some other daft reason - but without receipts then you can't help but be more cautious as a buyer.

These seem to pop up all the time on ebay. I really can't understand why ebay allow them to be sold. ( have reported others in the past with no action taken)
How many cars out there have forged history?

Surely, the dealers being replicated should be able to action. Its their property that is being forged.

A merc with a fully stamped service book will sell for at least £25 more than one without.

This started long before eBay.

The people who work at the dealer all have friends and relatives... but while most are honest people unfortunately some are scruples enough to use the firm's stamp as 'favour' to a friend or relative - or worse, take a small payment for it. Sadly, not unheard off...

It's easy to spot these fake histories - just check the ink bleed-thrugh on the back of the page. If it's the same on all of them they were all done at the same time. Same hand writing on every page? Fake. Same colour pen? Fake

Nick Froome

They need to come down hard on people. They can be spotted, but you can bet some are using different pens, different handwriting etc.
Its just wrong.

Reported to ebay (for all the good it will do)

Its not the sellers of these stamps that are the issue, its the users.

Luckily they are fairly easy to spot normally... Like has been said, they normally use the same pen, same handwriting etc and more often than not the stamps just look micky mouse.

You can walk into any stationery shop, order any stamp to any design in any colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom