DIY Servicing W202/M104

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Leemc2008, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Hi all

Need to service my 1994 C280, manual gearbox. I dont have a workshop manual, so clueless with oil grade and amount, and procedure. Haynes manual only covers 4 cylinder versions..

So, what oil grade? Specific make? Amount? Also any special procedure or tips? I read somewhere that MB suck oil out with a pump as opposed to letting it drain the old fashioned way?! Tool for removing the oil filter?

Is it safe to use engine flush chemicals? Should I be disconnecting the coilpack and turning the engine over just after re-filling.. (this was the procedure on Duratec V6's).. or just start it up straight away.

Guide on changing the differential and gearbox oil would also be handy! For now, engine oil most important.

Cheers

Lee

2. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Hi Lee,

Engine oil and filter is easy. Don't suck the oil out, just remove the sump plug in the usual way.

New washer for the sump plug and a new oil filter, you'll need a tool to remove the cover for the oil filter though (available from MB or a decent motorfactors)

Does it need a flush? Noisy hydraulic lifters or very badly contaminated oil etc? Otherwise you might as well leave it, IMHO. Especially considering the number of M104 engines with oil leaks.

For the differential you'll need a 14 or 17mm allen key, but one on a chunky socket or a drain plug tool. They're normally very tight - could need something like a 2ft breaker bar for leverage if it's not been out for a while. Make sure you loosen the filler plug before removing the drain one though... ;)

Not sure what type of gearbox plug you have - maybe have a look underneath or someone else will know - should be the same procedure as the 4-cylinder models though I would've thought.

Fluid types should be in the owner's manual - but I guess EP80/90 for the diff and at least a decent semi-synth, maybe fully synth oil for the engine, depending on how frequently you plan on changing it.

Will

3. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    I've only had the car a few weeks, I have no service history or owners manuals.. so no idea what oil to put it.. I'm an expirenced DIY mechanic just unfamiliar with the Mercedes at the moment..

I do very little mileage.. so I change the oil usually every 5000 miles which is about 12 months. Going to change everything now though, so its a starting point for me..

Cheers

Lee

4. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Can someone give me price for the MB oil filter?

Just had Merc. Indy quote for Engine oil and filter service of £70, Dif. Oil £20 and Gearbox Oil and Filter at £120.

Cheers

Lee

5. bolide

bolide Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    Sounds like a good plan!

Nick Froome
    www.w124.co.uk

6. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    HENGST oil filter (OEM to merc ) £5-70 plus vat from EUROCARPARTS.

7. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    I changed the gearbox oil when i was under the car recently. You can go to mercedes and buy the oil, the engineer/technician guy told me to take 2 litres as i'll need 1.5ltr's for the gearbox. When i get home i can post up the number/type of oil they gave me. Cost me £11.50 a litre.

8. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Yes please. That'd be good!

9. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Are you guys that do your own oil service using genuine MB filters? Are there any differences between the genuine MB filters and say a filter from GSF Car Parts?

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The MB oil filters are made by HENGST or Knecht as you will discover when you break the expensive MB anti-counterfiet seal on the box. Personally I would use a genuine MB filter for the auto gearbox since its going to last 36,000 miles plus and there are lots of types depending on chassis no/gearbox type.

11. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Ok, I have a manual gearbox.. but should have been more clear..

Talking now about the engine oil filter.

Cheers

Lee