DIY Wheel refurb gone bad with WURTH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cw-kid

Car
W202 C-Class C230K
Hello

After reading many positive reviews online about the Wurth German Silver Alloy Wheel paint products I ordered some. However I am finding the paint to be terrible.

The paint doesn't cover evenly at all and there is filament like strands of stringy bits coming out of the can. The result is patchy and coarse and uneven. If you spray it on at 20-25 CM distance as per the instructions on the can, I end up with a greyish looking colour not silver, coarse finish with bits in it, like bad over-spray, which is not the same Wurth quality I have read about. If I spray it on much closer 2-3 inches say, then the finish is more silver in colour and smoother as you'd expect, but you can't spray paint on properly at that close range.

It just doesn't seem to cover evenly and smooth no matter what I do with the stuff and is always patchy. I have contacted Wurth directly and so far they have not been any help only saying "We have no issues with this article" meaning the codes on the can I gave them.

I have contacted the seller and hope I can get a full refund.

I've just had a new email pop in now from Wurth

"I understand your frustration but we have had no issues ref this article and goods were not purchased from Wurth Uk

In this instance it would only be your supplier that can replace your goods if faulty or out of date, pls see below ref Sale of Goods Act"

I have taken some photos:

Photo1: Primer base coat

DSCN1631_zpsd31ce6e1.jpg

Wurth Silver top coat: (Looks more greyish not silver)

DSCN1636_zps9b5cef16.jpg

DSCN1637_zpsde43749b.jpg

DSCN1638_zps7cb7a9cf.jpg

DSCN1639_zps58ca1ee3.jpg

If I gently and lightly wet sand the alloy after the top coat of silver this does remove some of the greyish bitty overspray and the wheel then looks more silver but its still patchy as hell.

Anyone else had issues with this Wurth Paint?

Any other manufacturers of Alloy Wheel paint you would recommend?

Many thanks.

Its just dry paint, it needs clear over that to give a shine
Wet flat with P800 and when dry paint again, just 1x then when it's flashed of give it 3x clear.

Wet flat with P800 and when dry paint again

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have done that already like 3 times. Its still very patchy looking, I've had to use nearly a can and a half on this small 15" rim to cover it and get it any where near like what it should be. One can is meant to be able to do two rims which I can't see that being possible.

Some new photos.

Last coat of silver must be number 4 or 5.

DSCN1640_zps73e1fdfc.jpg

DSCN1641_zps3d0acd12.jpg

Then after a light sand again with wet paper

DSCN1643_zpsb24abe9b.jpg

DSCN1642_zps872d3f13.jpg

I don't think you can really see the patchy uneven coverage that this Wurth paint gives by looking at the photos. I've not put any clear lacquer on yet but if it looks patchy now its still gonna look patchy with the clear on.

I dunno I am very disappointed in this paint and how poorly it seems to cover.

Can anyone recommend a better product? Think I have to cut my losses with this Wurth stuff.

Thanks.

I can see the patchiness in at least two of your pics. It looks crap to be frank.

My advice is to source an alternative product as you will never be happy with that finish and why would you?

Ask on Detailing World as people on there will know what works and what doesn't.

I can see the patchiness in at least two of your pics. It looks crap to be frank.

My advice is to source an alternative product as you will never be happy with that finish and why would you?

Ask on Detailing World as people on there will know what works and what doesn't.

Hi

I have to agree with you I think.

You can click the links in the yellow banners above the photos to make them go full size!

I would just spend £50 a wheel and get it done professionally.

Hi

The wheels are not worth that much to justify spending that much on them. Plus I need to buy two new tyres anyway's as well so needed to keep the costs down.

For 50 quid in materials I should have been able to do a fairly decent refurb job myself, the Wurth silver paint quality has just let me down badly I think.

Cheers

I recon you'd spend close on £100 rattle cans and and other materials to get a half decent job assuming you get it right first time. (for 4 wheels)

Since you're having to do it twice however...

I've started a return on eBay, free return postage label and hopefully I'll get a full refund under their buyer protection scheme. Now I need to sand that bloody wheel down again and find some decent paint!

This is something I was thinking of tackling on my W210 at some point when I am bored....I did a search for the correct paint to use and the 744 silver (same as my car) seemed the one to use.

At least I know what not to use!

This is something I was thinking of tackling on my W210 at some point when I am bored....I did a search for the correct paint to use and the 744 silver (same as my car) seemed the one to use.

At least I know what not to use!

Hi

Was that rattle can stuff? Did you find out where to buy it from?

Yeah I wouldn't recommend the Wurth paint I don't think.

I've heard this stuff mentioned a few times on the forums:

1Z Einszett Silver Spray Wheel Paint

But seems to be an American product couldn't find any UK sites with it.

I purchased the two can pack of Wurth paint, to clarify I mean it contained 1 can of paint & 1 can of lacquer, & like you found it to be C**P.
unfortunately I have to say it was the worst paint I've ever used

Dave

Any silver paint will work on wheels, Halfords or paints4U spring to mind as suppliers. Don't forget you need etch primer for aluminium.

The paint in the pictures definitely looks poor. Did you shake it well before application?

Last edited:
well i did the same ages ago.. spent alot of money on wurth paint and it was crap..!!! went on in different layers and the finish was not good.

in the end i bought a standard can of silver from halfords and finished it off with 2k clear wet look lacquer.. much much better finish..

the wet look lacquer is the best thing ive ever found, its not cheap but once applied it leave a lovely deep wet look finish.. made by Nu-agane paints :)

What I normally do with spray cans especially silver or gold metallics, is first heat the cans in warm/hot water and then wrap up in some cloth and spin in the washing machine for 15 mins or so. Worth/WURTH ;) too, cleaning the spray nozzle every so often with thinners.

Sp!ke said:
I would just spend £50 a wheel and get it done professionally.

I wanted to say that

Their is a technique to spraying have a look on U Tube I was crap at it, but after watching and being shown I sprayed a boot spoiler and even impressed myself. But if you want perfection then it is of to the refurb shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom