Djokovic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know some angle being portrayed by Serbia is that this is racially motivated, but I don't really have too much sympathy here.

Nov: "I couldn't have a covid jab, because I had covid 12 weeks ago"
Aus: Is that when you were photo'ed in close indoor contact with loads of people and therefore didn't care about giving others covid?
Nov: "er...."

Aus: What about the 6 months prior to that? Could you not have had a jab then?
Nov: "er...."

His arrogance and stupidity has brought this about, if there is an appeal then please let the Judge apply sound reasoning and overturn it

Djokovic had a Covid test for what reason?aI Was he suspected of having Covid?

If so why do you travel and meet people before you receive the result?
His excuse of not wanting to let down a Journalist is just not credible.

Did he take a test knowing he wasn't infected but claiming he was and therfore was trying to avoid the vaccination requirements to enter Australia?

Whatever the truth is he clearly has either flouted Covid restrictions or has tried to deliberately avoid rules he doesn't agree.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, the Australian authorities have managed to make a thorough mess of all this.

Does anyone honestly think that Djokovic would have just pitched up in Australia on spec?

No, he didn't. For whatever reason, he had been given assurances by the State authorities that he would be allowed entry to the country.

Then public outrage was whipped up (understandable, bearing in mind the privations that Australian citizens have been made to suffer by their government(s) over the last two years).

Then the Federal government decides to take an interest and overrules the State authorities, but c0cks it up by failing to follow their own proper procedure.

Then the Federal government sits on its hands for a week, before rescinding his visa just before the weekend so as to "own" the media news cycle and create maximum disruption.

So is it a matter of health protection, or political points scoring?

He may have problems at home too for his "error of judgement" (known as arrogance elsewhere):

I have to say I like the way Australia deals with situations like this. There certainly seems to be a more common sense approach across the entire country.
I lived there for 8 years (left in 2015). They can be very “self righteous”, do enjoy cutting down “tall poppies”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wishing to be drawn on the vaccine issue, but just to say that Australia does have tough immigration laws in general, and they are rigouresly enforced.

And, they make no discounts to celebs, as Johnny Depp found-out when he smuggled his dogs into the country.

Some over here will say that the UK is a soft touch when it comes to immigration, and that we should look-up to Australia's Christmas Island detention centre model, but this is all getting very political.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, the Australian authorities have managed to make a thorough mess of all this.

Does anyone honestly think that Djokovic would have just pitched up in Australia on spec?

No, he didn't. For whatever reason, he had been given assurances by the State authorities that he would be allowed entry to the country.

Then public outrage was whipped up (understandable, bearing in mind the privations that Australian citizens have been made to suffer by their government(s) over the last two years).

Then the Federal government decides to take an interest and overrules the State authorities, but c0cks it up by failing to follow their own proper procedure.

Then the Federal government sits on its hands for a week, before rescinding his visa just before the weekend so as to "own" the media news cycle and create maximum disruption.

So is it a matter of health protection, or political points scoring?
Tennis Australia, and the Victoria government would be keen to have him there - huge revenue draw and world wide attention on Melbourne. The states in Oz are very independent and resent central government interference (especially if politics are opposite).

They can be a very “self righteous” and do enjoy cutting down “tall poppies”.
Some people like to cite that much of Australia's people are descended from criminals, while failing to mention that there are also many who are descended from the jailers ;)

Some people like to cite that much of Australia's people are descended from criminals, while failing to mention that there are also many who are descended from the jailers ;)
Most Aussies that are descended from criminals are quite proud of the fact as their families would be descended the “original settlers”. They will happily bring it up in a conversation.

We also have to bear in mind that the UK government at the time has a shameful history & was pretty brutal in the way it shipped people (women & children included) off to the colonies for the most petty of crimes. A lot of this happened during the industrial revolution which put people out of jobs and who were starving as a result and stealing to stay alive.

A lot of this happened during the industrial revolution which put people out of jobs and who were starving as a result and stealing to stay alive.
That’s a good one. The first time I’ve ever heard anyone yearn to put the working class back in the fields.

But then I am the son of an Engineer, not a Shepherd.

The states in Oz are very independent and resent central government interference (especially if politics are opposite).

I wanted to reply, but we're not allowed to mention NS in this thread.... 🤐

Then there is this guy. Don’t watch if bad language offends you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s a good one. The first time I’ve ever heard anyone yearn to put the working class back in the fields.

But then I am the son of an Engineer, not a Shepherd.
That is one of the most disingenuous comments I’ve ever read. Pulling one sentence out and quoting it completely out of context. You should join a newspaper.;) Or perhaps you are a little ashamed of some of the less “nice” aspects of your history........:)

Last edited by a moderator:
This has nothing to do with who he is, the media have blown it up as they always do. He applied for a Visa and it was granted. If there was any doubt over medical exemptions then it should have been done at the Visa stage. He was allowed to fly and then gets told he has to leave. A complete balls up by their Border Force and Government. The Judge ruled that he can stay. Now they are digging around for more stories.

If he has broken rules, fine him or apply the appropriate punishment, same as they would do with anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom