Dlink Wireless network sent out on its ear!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterchurch

refers to a Dlink DI-624 and DSL 300g modem ....

I write this on my new Linksys WAG54G wireless network :bannana: I finally gave up on the my Dlink router for good :( having spent weeks trying to diagnose the cause of random network hangs, I decided to bit the bullet and upgrade the firmware (Should not have needed doing as nothing on my network has been changed) :devil: This should be an easy process of uploading a file then uploading the config .... 5 mins maximum ...
What followed was 5 hours of hell. I cannot begin to believe the quality of the product :( At best they can be concidered as flaky and unreliable. Configuration files regularly failed to save the clock would not remain set adding a simple piece of equipment would take an hour (on a good day). and the manuals pay no resemblance to what you have to do to configure it :devil: :devil:

Anyway I have binned it and now have installed a WAG54G took 10 mins :) worked 1st time and was easy enough to install without RTFM

5 stars Linksys :bannana:

Flyer said:
Have to agree Peter, great bit of kit. Have you upgraded the firmware to 1.02.5?

Cheers
Andrew

Not yet :) I looked at the notes and the bug fixes don't seem to be for anything I was planning on using. Do you think that its worth it anyway ?

peterchurch said:
Not yet :) I looked at the notes and the bug fixes don't seem to be for anything I was planning on using. Do you think that its worth it anyway ?

Yep, I do. My admin page was really slow to come up, but now it's up in an instant. I'm sure there's other things in there as well that they don't list. The only downside is that you must* do a hard reset ... and lose all your settings.

* well, you don't have to, but it is highly recommended. Some minor problems I was having went away after a reset.

damn! I knew you were gonna say that :) But given that I am going to put a server on the internet behind this thing, I suppose that it pays to be upto date...

The lack of config backup has got to be the only thing wrong with this bit of kit.

refreshing :)

peterchurch said:
damn! I knew you were gonna say that :) But given that I am going to put a server on the internet behind this thing, I suppose that it pays to be upto date...

The lack of config backup has got to be the only thing wrong with this bit of kit.

refreshing :)

Oops, slightly misleading there, sorry:

Wireless-G ADSL Gateway WAG54G
Administration
Management
Reporting
Diagnostics
Factory Defaults
Firmware Upgrade
Backup & Restore

Another reason to get the lastest firmware :D

upgraded to the latest version 1.02.09 took me 2 minutes :cool: did not lose my configs and all working fine. Did not get an option for backup and restore though ... not too worried as it only takes 10 minutes to get it working from scratch :)

peterchurch said:
upgraded to the latest version 1.02.09 took me 2 minutes :cool: did not lose my configs and all working fine. Did not get an option for backup and restore though ... not too worried as it only takes 10 minutes to get it working from scratch :)

1.02.09? The release version on Linksys' site is 1.02.1. I've got 1.02.5, which is apparently in Beta; works fine though! The 1.02.5 release gives you the backup/restore option.

Did you do the hard reset though?

Press reset button for 5 seconds
Keeping reset pressed, power off
Wait 30 seconds then with the reset button STILL pressed power on and wait a further 5 seconds before releasing it

This is a good forum for WAG54G problems.

What the hell just hit me :confused: The router was working great then suddenly, 5 oclock all goes tits up and I have only just got back on the network :( and the only reason I managed that is through a ethernet cable :( don't think the upgrade was such a great idea :( (although looking at the link you posted this is a known issue :( ) I guess this router will be back with PC world tomorrow :( onto the next make :mad: any suggestions for an all in one ADSL box ?

peterchurch said:
What the hell just hit me :confused: The router was working great then suddenly, 5 oclock all goes tits up and I have only just got back on the network :( and the only reason I managed that is through a ethernet cable :( don't think the upgrade was such a great idea :( (although looking at the link you posted this is a known issue :( ) I guess this router will be back with PC world tomorrow :( onto the next make :mad: any suggestions for an all in one ADSL box ?
I highly recommend Buffalo kit, my network has been up for just under a week now and it's a breeze to set up and perfect to use so far.

Follow the link to see exactly what kit I bought, I have cable but it's compatible with ADSL too. I guess the only downer is that it does not include an ADSL modem.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=83977#post83977

Steve_Perry said:
Well this afternoon I went out and bought myself a Buffalo.

I got the WBR2-G54S Wireless Cable/DSL Router and a WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB2.0 Adapter

Looks like really good kit, I'll let you know how I get on after the 6th Nov

For those interested, here's an independent review of the Buffalo WBR2-G54. Note it's not the 'S' version but close enough.

S.

S.

Last edited:
This is well odd :( I am now back running on my wireless network as if nothing had ever happened :( Might have to consider buffalo but that will mean yet more cards :(

The clock problem with the d-link is a known fault and has been fixed in the latest firmwares by linking the time to the atomic clock services. To get the d-links to work properly after updates you have to power everything off, then turn on in the order : modem/router/pc.

hope this helps,

Messa

Hi Messa,
I don't suppose you have the techinal knowhow document that describes getting the modem and the router working together do you?

cheers :)

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having :( . Before swapping kit, try the 1.02.5 firmware, followed by a hard reset. Mine's been rock solid since upgrading (apart from some problems with my ISP, Eclipse).

Hi
Thanks for helping with this messa :) the guilde was not released as the documentsation, but it actually explained the process for marrying the router and the modem together. (somthing they decided to leave out of the user guide) It used to be on their techincal site but they have removed it :(

Don't worry fuzzer its not your fault :) the router had dropped a few times before I upgraded it so it might be a duff one :( but I am now on 1.02.5 I believe that the build version is 9 It started off very promising last night, and I actually got back to a normal service :( for about 10 mins this morning ... but now back to DHCP stability and a yo-yo ing network ...

I love computers :)

peterchurch said:
Don't worry fuzzer its not your fault :) the router had dropped a few times before I upgraded it so it might be a duff one :( but I am now on 1.02.5 I believe that the build version is 9 It started off very promising last night, and I actually got back to a normal service :( for about 10 mins this morning ... but now back to DHCP stability and a yo-yo ing network ...

I love computers :)

this is exactly what happened to my linksys box , i sent it back with a stoppy letter and nothing more was said.

I can't believe that your D link box let you down .. mine has been perfect since i bought it about a month ago. It been perfect and the signal from its one aerial is tones better than the linksys. one. Im not againsed linksys as i use their switches elsewhere in my network but the wireless stuff which im coming to believe from all manufacturors leaves a lot to be desired in quality :S

Keep us updated , what were here for :)

Hi,

My Dlink box was very stable apart from a few very big issues that wasted too much time, and I’m afraid that the Linksys box might follow it out the door!

1) When I bought it I got shafted as it was billed as an adsl router when it was actually an ethernet firewall that could be used with an ADSL modem :devil:

2) The configuration manuals where sh1t and nowhere in them did it explain how the product should be configured to work with the modem (this info was provided in a tech release, and now they have removed it from their web site)

3) It worked fine as long as you did not touch the config :( if you did it could take days to get it to settle down ...

4) It did not always backup the config correctly :( (this was what caused my troubles in the first place)

5) Recently It started to hang the network at random intervals :(

6) I had 5 dlink cards replaced in the time that I have been using 1 Linksys :(

7) not enough loging info was available but I am fussy like that :)

other than that it was ok.

I have to say that the Linksys interface is miles better than Dlink one and I would love to get it working to a stable state :( I am going to take it back and replace it. a few times as I refuse to believe that a released product from Cisco could be this bad ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom