DMF V Solid Fywheel Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Watch: REPXPERTs show the difference between DMF and solid conversion clutches

Just a short video explaining why you should not convert a DMF to a solid flywheel. It is rather in the interests of the manufacturer of the replacements to warn you off of a conversion.

Steve.
The manufacturers employ highly qualified engineers, they invest millions in R&D activities that include driveability, noise vibration & harshness, fuel economy, reliability and durability of the drivetrain, and decide to fit a DMF to the car.

Joe Muggins, at Under the Arches Ltd. says that the OEMs are having a laugh and there is no need to have an expensive DMF, it's all just a rip off. Just buy my solid flywheel replacement kit and everything will be hunky dory and well cheaper mate!

I think the OEMs are right to warn people away from solid flywheel conversions. Uncontrolled torsional vibrations can be very destructive.

Well many of these DMF's are changed when it is end play in the gearbox shaft,£300/400 spent having the play taken out the box plus a couple of bearings can make a very big difference to how a DMF works,changing this for a solid flywheel although possible,means that the reason the engineers put in the DMF in the first place is negated mainly to eliminate vibration.

The manufacturers employ highly qualified engineers, they invest millions in R&D activities that include driveability, noise vibration & harshness, fuel economy, reliability and durability of the drivetrain, and decide to fit a DMF to the car.

Joe Muggins, at Under the Arches Ltd. says that the OEMs are having a laugh and there is no need to have an expensive DMF, it's all just a rip off. Just buy my solid flywheel replacement kit and everything will be hunky dory and well cheaper mate!

I think the OEMs are right to warn people away from solid flywheel conversions. Uncontrolled torsional vibrations can be very destructive.

couldn't agree more, I also have this argument about aftermarket air filter conversions too

The problem is that - unless the vibrations are at a catastrophic level - the average punter won’t notice any difference, or at best a bit of harshness at particular engine speeds. They therefore think all is ok.

The crank and other drivetrain components suffering the torsional vibration will notice though, and will fail prematurely at some point in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£600 for a home mechanic to install his new DMF and clutch plate is a bit extreme. Also a big investment for some garages these days. Makes a mockery of using dowelling and masking tape. Although I still have a good selection of first motion shafts that I used to use, although long time ago now.

Steve.

£600 for a home mechanic to install his new DMF and clutch plate is a bit extreme. Also a big investment for some garages these days. Makes a mockery of using dowelling and masking tape. Although I still have a good selection of first motion shafts that I used to use, although long time ago now.

Steve.

There a lot more to it that that buddy

LuK Self-Adjusting Clutch | REPXPERT Site GB

I had a smf conversion on my transit with absolutely no problems whatsoever...........

Right up until both engine mounts snapped at the same time and the engine fell on the floor!!! That had the aa man scratching his head :)

Right up until both engine mounts snapped at the same time and the engine fell on the floor!!! That had the aa man scratching his head :)
I am sorry, but I found that quite amusing, obviously not for you at the time.
As amusing as when my n/s rear wheel came off my Reliant van.....
Perhaps the extra 3 1/2 Kilos of flywheel weight might have added to that. ?

There a lot more to it that that buddy

LuK Self-Adjusting Clutch | REPXPERT Site GB

I watched the link about the self adjusting clutch and it is a complex piece of engineering. No wonder they cost as much as they do.
The last clutch I ever fitted was on the o/h's Punto some long time ago when it chewed the centre out of the clutch plate. I am half glad I do not do these ( any ) sort of jobs anymore, explaining to the punter how much a new DMF will cost would never be easy. They just think you is having a laugh.!

Steve.

Yes, but the annoying thing is Steve, even the "Stealers" can't fit a DMF properly.. I had two fitted to my Passat 1.9TDi many moons ago.. the first was paid for by me the second under warranty on the same flywheel. As you lifted the clutch to the biting point the car would vibrate (Oooeer) like buggery then clear when released fully. It never did this on the old clutch and it had burnt out! and my continued complaints resulted on me being banned from the dealers. So, I reported them to VAG who agreed and sent me out to Morrisons of Stirling at the time who looked at it and agreed it needed a new Kit. Once fitted and.... EXACTLY THE SAME!! Vibrates when on the biting point... again their diagnosis "I'm imagining things..." so I drove around like that then sold the car...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom