DMS 535d 0-60 test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully over the brunette and not the cockster ;)

glojo said:
I used to be very 'anti' diesels and once owned a Volvo 940 diesel. (It sounded like a tractor) I swore then that I would NEVER buy another oil burner.

On start-up you will definitely know the difference between the 320 and 320CDI, the CDI is and always will be a very high compression engine, but it is so much quieter than say a 1.6ltr Puegeot.

I have actually managed to stand by the roadside and listen to the two vehicles drive by. These vehicles went by at approximately 35mph and there is no way a normal person could differentiate.

My very strong advice would be to NOT listen to me, nor the 'knockers' ;)

Test drive both and draw your own conclusion. Our vehicle is driven into our garage (and reversed out). When we had a 350ML demonstrator (petrol) it stunk the garage out with fumes. The CDI is a complete saint in comparison. We you do smell the exhaust it has a scented smell (comparable to a Far Eastern Brothel :eek: :eek: definitely not as bad as South American one's though :D ) but this aroma is not powerful enough to fill the garage (unlike the petrol) This observation might only apply to our large double garage, but it is a genuine remark and one I stand by.

I will not prattle on about how quiet both versions are when being driven, because I stand by the "try it and see" recommendation.

If your considering the more powerful BMW then I would suggest you carry out a lot of research on the twin turbo reliability. Far, far far more problems than the much maligned SBC brake issue, and I accept there have only been a very few problems with the excellent BMW engine.

John

Thanks John - it's all sensible advice :)

Tested the BMW 535d (the SE, not the M Sport version, sadly) this afternoon and took it over some local Pennine A-roads to check out the ride and handling, as well the refinement and er.........the iDrive :confused: . Damn, it's a fine car........I was way more impressed than I expected to be; the performance was staggering and ride/handling compromise was superb. The M version will ride a little more firmly, but I'm driving it on Tuesday just to see how much different it is.

To be honest, this has helped me to rule out the A8 (rides far too harshly for a big car) and probably the Merc CLS, which I've sat in but not yet driven - the design of the interior is a bit..........garish :eek:

Looks like it'll be the Beemer :)

SportsCoupeRich said:
bottom line is to go with whatever car makes you happy. For me it would be the 911 (though prob the cayman at the mo :drool: )

as they say about the 911.....if you can, you must!

It's gonna be the 535d M Sport :p

If I still want a 997 in a year to 18 months' time, I'll get one. In the meantime, I've got to get the car that meets more than just one of my criteria :)

BearFace said:
........I was way more impressed than I expected to be; the performance was staggering and ride/handling compromise was superb.
Thats exactly what happened to me, I drove the car (I managed to get one for a weekend) and I HAD to have one. If you think its fast now wait till you get it remapped :D

BearFace said:
Looks like it'll be the Beemer :)
If this exodus continues for much longer the forum will have to be renamed :devil: ;)

Last edited:
Mambo said:
Thats exactly what happened to me, I drove the car (I managed to get one for a weekend) and I HAD to have one. If you think its fast now wait till you get it remapped :D

If this exodus continues for much longer the forum will have to be renamed :devil: ;)

Yeah...........I mean, I initially joined because I bought a C230K, but then almost immediately I sold it and leased the Golf.............and now I'm planning on leasing the BMW. At least we've stayed with a German marque....

Still, although this is essentially a Merc forum, it doesn't have that hostile, elitist atmosphere that certain others reek of - in fact the folk here are less uppity than many of those found in Ford, Vauxhall and other "mass-production" forums. Must be the old-money quality of this membership..... :p

glojo said:
I don't want to appear pedantic, but if you are sat in one car and you get into a race with a diesel, then unless you are in a convertible, with the roof down and remain very close to the exhaust pipes of the car in front, then you will not hear the opposing cars engine.
glojo said:
Many, many months ago I posted the decibel ratings for both the 320 petrol and 320CDI. In real world motoring there was practically no difference, the diesel figures are the estate, compared to the petrol saloon.

The figures are obtained from Mercedes-Benz so there is no favouritism in trying to prove one is quieter than the other:

320 CDI (S211)

Standing 49 Decibel
Passing by 72 Decibel
Inside at 50kmh 56 Decibel
Inside at 100 kmh 63 Decibel
Inside at 130 kmh 67 Decibel

E320 (W211)

Standing 43 Decibel
Passing by 69 Decibel
Inside at 50kmh 53 Decibel
Inside at 100 kmh 63 Decibel
Inside at 130 kmh 67 Decibel

Regards,
John

its not the noise that gives it away its the plume of black soot that hits there winscreen as you woop em ;) :bannana:

mark.t said:

its not the noise that gives it away its the plume of black soot that hits there winscreen as you woop em ;) :bannana:

Not in mine, it has a particulate filter so no black soon when you boot it :rock:

Also means I get a proper exhaust and not the usual down turned diesel exhausts :D:D

I like my plume of black smoke just to remind the folks that a diesel is disappearing into the distance :)

mark.t said:

BLACK SMOKE!!!!! Shock, horror, mouth drooping in disgust!!!! Black smoke you say.

I suppose if the car has been spoilt and you suddenly decide to floor the throttle there might be some type of exhaust, but we are not talking about that noisey, 5 cylinder diesel rattling 270CDI :rolleyes: :eek: (many, many apologies for offending our 270CDI owners)

The 320CDI goes like stink, but perhaps does not stink, (it is fair to say that it is not quite as fast as the smaller 3ltr 535BMW flying machine)

John the non smoker

glojo said:
I used to be very 'anti' diesels and once owned a Volvo 940 diesel. (It sounded like a tractor)

Yup a mate of mine was given one as a company car, even from new it sounded like the big end had gone! The dealer told him they were all like that, he wasn't very popular with his neighbours when he had to leave early in the morning.

glojo said:
BLACK SMOKE!!!!! Shock, horror, mouth drooping in disgust!!!! Black smoke you say.

I suppose if the car has been spoilt and you suddenly decide to floor the throttle there might be some type of exhaust, but we are not talking about that noisey, 5 cylinder diesel rattling 270CDI :rolleyes: :eek: (many, many apologies for offending our 270CDI owners)

The 320CDI goes like stink, but perhaps does not stink, (it is fair to say that it is not quite as fast as the smaller 3ltr 535BMW flying machine)

John the non smoker

I hate to tell you , but there aint much in performance terms between the noisey perfect balance between smoothness and economy 5 cyl and the gas guzzling 6cyl , having driven both!

fuzzer said:
I hate to tell you , but there aint much in performance terms between the noisey perfect balance between smoothness and economy 5 cyl and the gas guzzling 6cyl , having driven both!

We had a 270 as a demonstrator, and could not in all honesty fault its performance, wife states the interior noise was negligible and it was a joy to drive. Solely at tickover it is slightly noisier than its in-line six cylinder bigger brother. My remarks were very much tongue in-cheek for our gas guzzling petrol heads :)

I don't suppose there will be ANY difference between the 280 and 320 V6 CDI :)

John the fuss pot.

glojo said:

John the non smoker

i like to empty my tubes once in a while ;) John you must blast the car down the A30 to rid the carbon deposits that are building up in your engine or will your car come under the spoilt dept. anyway back to the beamer Ignore that 535 designation; theres no 3.5-litre lump under the bonnet of this Five. Instead theres a three-litre engine that features two turbochargers of significantly different size. The smaller of the two blowers doesnt take a lot of energy to spool up and comes on stream from idle through to 1,500rpm, whereupon the engines exhaust gases can overcome the inertia of the bigger of the two units. nice car

Last edited:
mark.t said:
i anyway back to the beamer Ignore that 535 designation; theres no 3.5-litre lump under the bonnet of this Five.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the update and in my defence I did say the BMW was a 3ltr engine. :eek:

It now looks like Mercedes-Benz are doing the same thing with their latest CDI. (320CDI = 3ltr)

Is the BMW diesel a straight six like the spanking new 3ltr petrol or have they also sold out to the V6 brigade?

John

glojo said:
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the update and in my defence I did say the BMW was a 3ltr engine. :eek:

It now looks like Mercedes-Benz are doing the same thing with their latest CDI. (320CDI = 3ltr)

Is the BMW diesel a straight six like the spanking new 3ltr petrol or have they also sold out to the V6 brigade?

John

BMW 530d and 535d are both using the streight 6 3.0 single and twin turbo config.

BearFace said:
....snip....Still, although this is essentially a Merc forum, it doesn't have that hostile, elitist atmosphere that certain others reek of - in fact the folk here are less uppity than many of those found in Ford, Vauxhall and other "mass-production" forums. Must be the old-money quality of this membership..... :p

Hear Hear!

Welcome to the dark side..... :D

BearFace said:
Must be the old-money quality of this membership..... :p
I agree and if anyone has any old money thay dont want I have the perfect place for it, my pocket :D :D :D

Ian B Walker said:
I agree and if anyone has any old money thay dont want I have the perfect place for it, my pocket :D :D :D
Join the queue !

PS Ian, is it true you're old enough to remember olde money, ie farthings, florins and groats ? :D :D Merry Christmas

PPS Hope the wife's car is running well.

PJH said:
Join the queue !

PS Ian, is it true you're old enough to remember olde money, ie farthings, florins and groats ? :D :D Merry Christmas

PPS Hope the wife's car is running well.
Can still remember Pounds Shillings and Pence. Guinees too (spelt wrong I know). As for the supposedly wifes car? Running fine. just fine. Not like a 280E we know eh? :D :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom