DMS Automotive - C230K Chipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Just thought I would share some details I gained today.

I am no expert on tuning, but have made a bit of a hobby out of investigating tuning prodcuts for the w202 C230 Kompressor.

Today I spoke to DMS Automove "Discrete engine upgrades for European Cars" who you may have noticed seem to be appearing in more and more motoring magazine features.

For the most part I am very happy with what I heard, to the extent I believe their claims.

They claim to be able to re-map my '99 C230K.

I reconfirmed w202 shape, old shape c-class, 1999 and the guy was confident say they had done them before. This part I am not sure - but can only trust them that a serial program of some sort is possible.

The part that inspired confidence was that the guy new the Kompressor physically engaged at ~2000rpm and knew that boost could not be incresed via the chip. However, contrary to what I previously believed, he went on to say a remap could reliably increase power by about 25BHP and I forget the torque figures.

Apparently even thought the Kompressor is on a clutch, once it is engaged the engine is mapped so that the power delivery is very very gradual and this is where the remap affects most. Although they keep power delivery smooth, they dramatically increase the low down power by remapping and peak power also increases. Boost remains the same, the engine just mapped less conservativly.

So, I am sold basically.

The only odd part was the guy had wierd views on Dyno's. They have one, but for "development" not customers cars. He went off at a tangent about intake temperatures and cutomers cars should not be exposed to the temperatures repeated dyno runs could produce. I asked if at least an "after" dyno plot could be provided and he agreed.

The other downside is that they are booking 4-5 weeks in advance and with my work commitments I am looking at January 2005.
They also would not take a booking for January, until mid December ,so wait I shall and mid December I will be booking in, worth a go at least.

I wanted a little something for the German trip and this sounds just it!

The cost is £595+vat which if I get a 25BHP increase I am happy with.

A call to my insurers has revealed the premium increase to be very very reasonable.

Just need to wait! :bannana:

Sounds very interesting, their website looks spookily familiar! So if they cannot alter boost pressure, they can only alter the fueling to get the gain?

jimmy said:
Sounds very interesting, their website looks spookily familiar! So if they cannot alter boost pressure, they can only alter the fueling to get the gain?

Yeah. Which I would have previously discredited. It was the way the guy spoke about the 230K in familiar terms and at least was able to tell me correctly how it behaives at the moment and did not try to bluff me that boost was increased.

He emphasised that the boost that was produced wasn't utilised by Mercedes' convervative mapping, especially at the lower revs in order to produce a very very smooth delivery, although power was increased throughout the range.

Results will have to be proven, but I am happy so far and will most likely follow through with this - the pultry insurance increase alone is inviting me to.

Who does the website remind you of?

The company has had their tuned cars featured in many magazines.

Well good luck with it, I know you have been searching/yearning for more power for some time now.

The site is very similar to Superchips, I was waiting for the groovy noise as I moved the mouse around! You have reminded me, I was going to get mine superchipped instead of the tuning box, have heard good stuff about what they can do to the C250TD. I think the tuning box gives too much power or rather too much fuel.

I met Rob, the MD from DMS a couple of weeks ago.

Nice guy, two superbly prepared 996s (a GT2 and a Turbo) that have featured in a couple of magazines. I spoke with him about upgrading the power on my wife's Boxster S.

He knew his spuds, thats for sure.

Graham, if you want more info, please PM me.

Sounds good :D Not that your car really needs much more extra power !!

(Every little helps though ;) :D)

S.

Graham, Rob fitted the Alpin box on my CDi, there a company that don't bullsh*t and the goods they sell do deliver.

I'd go back a second time.

R

Richard W said:
Graham, Rob fitted the Alpin box on my CDi, there a company that don't bullsh*t and the goods they sell do deliver.

I'd go back a second time.

R

:D

Greg - you have another reply!

DMS are one of the best and most trusted tuners in the business. If they tell you they can do it, then they can.

How much percentage are you talking about on your insurance, and who with?

Dieselman said:
DMS are one of the best and most trusted tuners in the business. If they tell you they can do it, then they can.

How much percentage are you talking about on your insurance, and who with?

I have 4 months remaining on my policy. To chip-tune with a BHP increase of up to 10% they want to charge me £13.34. Elephant charge £10 for calling them and making any change, so a £3 increase is not bad!

The next scale is a 11-25% BHP increase, which was £75 for the 4 months.

GrahamC230K said:
I have 4 months remaining on my policy. To chip-tune with a BHP increase of up to 10% they want to charge me £13.34. Elephant charge £10 for calling them and making any change, so a £3 increase is not bad!

The next scale is a 11-25% BHP increase, which was £75 for the 4 months.

This is the problem with diesel tuning. You're looking at 30-40% premium uplift, if they will insure you at all.

Graham, I was impressed with their knowledge and imformation I'd seen on them - and Richard W's original recomendation when I was looking to do something on my 211 E200K. They seem to be one of the only companies offering a serial upgrade for the W211.

Only thing putting me off was that they wanted the best part of a grand to do the E - too rich for me when I'll probably only have the car for another year or so, at Superchips money I'd have done it.

Let us know how you get on!

Brian WH said:
Are but he is trying to tune his C230 k so he can keep up with a DIESEL. :D :D

Grahams a smart guy, he knows he wont get that good an upgrade. :)

Phoned them the other day and they want £1350+vat to do a full de-limit and max the power.
Am thinking about it :devil:

Graham
Let us know how this goes if you go ahead as I would be very interested in this too.
Regards
Les

I am having the "DMS Treatment" on Friday (10th).

I am promised 28BHP minimum increase and another ~15 ft/lb torque minimum.

In his words "if I am less than 110% satisfied you don't pay a penny".

Fingers crossed.

GrahamC230K said:
I am promised 28BHP minimum increase and another ~15 ft/lb torque minimum.
Are they tuning it to the specifics of your car or are they using a generic c230k profile?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom