DMS upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alxce

Car
E320 CDI 2008
First post in a few years and looking for some advice/guidance from the collective experience on here.

I have been looking at getting into a C63 for a couple of months now. I have a certain spec in mind in terms of age, colour etc., and today I have stumbled across one which fits the bill almost perfectly apart from one thing, it has a DMS remap.

I know there will be many on here that will see it as good thing but I was happy to take one on with the more than ample standard bhp. I have two concerns, the first being that it will up my insurance considerably and the second is a lack of LSD.

I know the insurance is going to be a problem because I have been through a similar scenario previously with an AM V8 Vantage upgrade. Fortunately in that instance the upgrade being less than 50 bhp the underwriters let it go. The DMS additional bhp is above that limit and so I am facing an adjustment of some kind, assuming they will take it on.

In regard to the additional bhp I am surprised to find the car is missing LSD, surely it is almost mandatory when trying to lay 535 bhp down on the tarmac? I guess it is something I could add if necessary.

Lastly, is there much difference in the fuel consumption figures with the remap under normal driving conditions? Not something I am really worried about given the figures I am expecting if I am to enjoy the car but just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
How would the insurance company ever find out it had a remap. Well how would of they knew before you asked this question on a public forum. If it's the car you want with the spec and colour then just get the map removed if that's what your worried about. You didn't say what year it was.

It's a 2013 car and yes, I guess removal is the obvious solution if the insurers choose to give me grief.

It's a 2013 car and yes, I guess removal is the obvious solution if the insurers choose to give me grief.
I'm with you on the lsd thing by the way. Can't believe it don't come as standard. It took me ages to find one with lsd among the many that was advertised as having it because the car was a pp or PPP but not the case.

I would have a ring round and ask about what difference the remap will make. Let's face it!! You can do just as much damage with 450bhp than you can with 530 lol.

Hello

An lsd can be retrofitted and a good number of owners on here have done that. Have a search here for quaife or contact forum sponsor Acid at MSL performance.

535 BHP sounds like a lot from a map, the remap of choice for the C seems to be the Eurocharged and cars with that are running approx 500-510 which equates to a 50bhp increase at the top end of that scale.

I thought that DMS did the DR520s? So I think 520 might closer.

LSD is not required and IMHO if your are getting wheel spin with 500bhp+ on the road you are probably driving too harshly for PUBLIC ROAD conditions.

Lift on on the right foot a bit.

On the track is a different matter.

Depends on the Dyno, the operator etc for figures. Mine did 534bhp with a Eurocharged re-map originally.
Don't worry about the LSD as previously mentioned you could have a quaife or wavetrac LSD fitted which are superior to the OEM one.
As for insurance I doubt it will change that much for the performance increase.

Thanks for all the responses, I will let you know if the purchase comes off.

I notified Adrain Flux of all my mods including the DMS remap it added £100 to the annual premium .£450 pa for a 550 bhp car is more acceptable to me .Just had to provide photos etc.
I now have full peace of mind knowing the car has an agreed valuation if I had a bad accident,mine or another parties fault.
Not sure what the outcome would be with the insurance company if I did have to make a total claim on the policy but you can only do what you think is best.
Good luck with the car finding my favourite pastime next to golf! :)

I thought that DMS did the DR520s? So I think 520 might closer.

LSD is not required and IMHO if your are getting wheel spin with 500bhp+ on the road you are probably driving too harshly for PUBLIC ROAD conditions.

Lift on on the right foot a bit.

On the track is a different matter.

Disagree mate. The LSD transforms the car especially when you have a remap and are pushing North of 500bhp :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom