Do all AMG wheels have AMG stamped on front?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Just looking at a R129 SL500 today - 1997

It has AMG split rims, staggered size. I saw the original purchase invoice with the car and it had these rims as a £4000 extra. I have also checked the VIN site and it has the following: AMG-WHEE.8,5X18 SQUE.-IN DEPTH 25 245/40 SEV.PARTS

The thing is that didn't have any AMG mark stamped on the front and I didn't get a chance to take the wheels off and look at code etc on the back.

Did all split rims have markings stamped on the front?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they did. I can't recall ever seeing a set of AMG wheels unmarked.

Chances are the originals have been sold and replaced by replicas.

I may well be corrected though.

Umm..confusing. I wish I had taken one off.

They are staggered 275 at rear and 245 at front....I would imagine replicas would be the same?

Maybe I should ask the seller to take one off and give me the part number?

They certainly have AMG code inside.
The VIN code (MB Code on the wartungsheft) may return only one wheel, best to look at the spec in the handbook.
Are the rims both 8.5J?
I have staggered 8J/9J set they take 235/40R18 and 265/35R18 (S210)
Point is the 9J takes a 265, probably take a 275, but the max on the 8J is around 245 (won't fit inside a S210). So I'm not sure an 8.5J will take a 275

these wheels are for a 90s SL im sure

if they are the real deal worth a lit of money as split rims

but a lot of copys around

Maybe I will get the seller to remove them and take a look....frustrating as I could have asked today.

Any other thoughts from you AMG experts!

They`re replicas,all the real deal ones had AMG on the front

Reps......

I still don't see how you get a 275 on an 8.5J without a shoehorn.
Does it bulge way over the rim?

If that tyre is correctly fitted on a correct wheel then imo it is not the OEM AMG wheel but an after-market replacement (could still be AMG but they do normally have the exterior logo).

This should not be a deal breaker unless the seller is trying to pass them off as the OEM £4,000 extras.

The car is being advertised with the original 18inch AMG rims. I'm not sure if the owner knows otherwise. The original sales receipt from Mercedes is with the car and it says it has these, so it would be easy to assume they are the originals, if they are not.

I've emailed the seller to see if he can take one off and give me any stamped code.

What should I be looking for with regards to a stamped code?

Also, how do I know if the wheels are 8.5J or 9J? Is this on the tyres? Sorry, I'm no tyre and wheel expert...although slowly becoming an AMG one by the looks of it!

Thanks

Ian

Ian:Maybe the car had the originals when new but they've been re-placed at some point as these are deffo not.The wheels even though replicas they cost a fair bit but only half of the originals price
Check the cars condition and if you're happy,you can source the wheels at a later stage

Also, how do I know if the wheels are 8.5J or 9J? Is this on the tyres? Sorry, I'm no tyre and wheel expert...although slowly becoming an AMG one by the looks of it!

Part number, size, width and offset are all stamped on the inside of the wheel.

Just to confirm, those wheels are definitely replicas ... and will almost certainly be 1-piece too (i.e. the 'bolts' are purely cosmetic).

As mentioned AMG split-rims are big money and someone has made a nice sum by selling the originals and replacing with reps.

Real one:

amg01.jpg

Congratulations, hope you got a bit knocked off for the wheels!

yes...did some hard negotiating...wheels, cracked roof windows and missing wind deflector! A few jobs to get done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom