Do all diesels have NOx sensors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mancstar

Car
W212 E350 CDI
Just curious to know specifically if my car has NOx sensors.
Its a 2009 E350 BlueEfficiency.

I was under the impression only cars with exhaust after treatment like AdBlue would have NOx sensors?

nox sensor also known as oxegen or lambda sensor i own a c320 w204 2009 defo got oxygen sensor. yours being blueEfficiency might probs have 2 one followed by another

NOx sensors are very similar to lambda sensors- in effect they are twin lambda sensors arranged in series as a single unit They are mounted upstream and downstream of any Selective Catalytic Reduction System [SCR] where urea is added to reduce NOx levels in the exhaust gases. Without these exhaust components they are not necessary. Mercedes calls this Bluetec which is often confused with their earlier BlueEfficiency moniker. Unlike lambda sensors which are now pretty robust- they have been with us since the early 90's after all , the relatively new NOx sensors are easily damaged by water vapour and an integral part of the SCR system is an exhaust temperature sensor to make sure the NOx sensors are not switched on till the exhaust is heated up.

They are mounted upstream and downstream of any Selective Catalytic Reduction System [SCR] where urea is added to reduce NOx levels in the exhaust gases. Without these exhaust components they are not necessary. Mercedes calls this Bluetec which is often confused with their earlier BlueEfficiency moniker.

I don't have Bluetec, so I definitely don't have the Nox sensors?

Main reason I purchased the BlueEfficency model was to avoid the problems with the AdBlue system and possible £1000 repair bill to replace sensors which is quite common occurrence on Bluetecs.
A friend of mine is adamant my car has Nox sensors which I'm sure it doesn't. Might be a reason for me to get rid whilst I can!

If you don't have an SCR and a urea additive reservoir why would you need NOx sensors? Your friend is possibly mixing this up with the DPF differential pressure sensor which will also light up the engine management light if the DPF gets blocked? You will have one or more of those. Posssibly one per cylinder bank [ 2 dpf's?] with a V6 Diesel not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom