Do bushes always give play when screwed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carsnstuff

Car
bubble car
Do bushes always give play when ****ed? Got a rumbling noise when I go over bumps in my w203 comming from the rear right that sounds like the speaker shelf could be loose. There is no play from 6-9 or 12-6 or any clunking or knocking when the wheel is lifted with a bar and it has just passed mot... i want to get in the back or boot with somone driving to hold down the shelf first and listen closely but could it be the bushes? i thought bushes gave play when they are screwed?

When my 2006 S203 had what sounded like bearings 'grinding' in the rear axle it was these (or one of them) It's the one in the hub -and a swine to get out/in - load one at a time up with a can of spray lube directly into the bushing , if the noise goes away for a short while you will know. Note : no amount of levering and 'wiggling' stuff around could get me to replicate the sound , it was only when going over (certain) humps in the road and/or turning the car slowly in a tight circle.

1651161497267.png

no its not grinding, its knocking bumping... just checked the ARB bushes and its not them its driving me nuts. there isnt any play anywhere

no its not grinding, its knocking bumping... just checked the ARB bushes and its not them its driving me nuts.
Have you checked the exhaust system mountings?

will give em a try. wouldnt the MOT have picked em up?? just had it done
Would have thought so but at the same time might depend a bit on the tester and perhaps they can just go without warning… they are, in my opinion, one of the weakest components on the w203s perhaps particularly more so on the ‘sportier’ model designations.

No, MOT won’t pick it up and (in my case) neither will MB dealers when you specifically ask them to check over the suspension multiple times.

If they don’t see obvious tears/weeps, it’s ‘fine’

A good indie with a crowbar will though

But also use common sense based on mileage/age and last time the bushes/arms were changed (if ever)

Remove the shockers and swap them over, I did this with my W203 and it was cured, the top mount bushes had obviously become compressed, better handling too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom