Do cabriolets really depreciate much during the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
Hi all, my search for my CLK is becoming more earnest as I plan to buy sometime between January to March (maybe earlier if a bargin appears). I've narrowed my choice to a 320 CDI or a 200k Cabriolet. To be honest would prefer the cab but trying not to restrict my choice too much so its easier to find a car.

The accepted wisdom says that cab prices come down during the winter months and then rise again towards springtime when demand increases. So far I'm not seeing that on advertised prices, although maybe there is more room for negotiation on those sticker prices.

I'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are, maybe we have some trade people on here who could comment? Or has anybody been through this and found a particularly good buy during the winter?

I was in a similar position last year, as I was deliberating between CLK 320cdi, CLK cab, or SLK. I kept a regular check on prices and saw absolutely no drop in convertible prices over the winter period. Went for a 320cdi in the end.

But having done that, I find I am still hankering after a convertible:(, and probably won't stop until I have owned one, which I will probably be disappointed with but at least I will have got it out of my system:)

You need to work out if you want a cab or a coupe.
The two are a different experience and the cab has a positive advantage if you want to have open top motoring but if that's not your bag get a coupe.
The two are not a direct comparison irrespective of price.
Having both a CLK cab and an SL in the family I'm well placed to judge and if you don't need four seats buy an SL

Last edited:
I think its a myth that the price varies with the seasons. Go for the convertible if you can.

I love my tintop slk and drive it more than my estate.
As a bonus they make you feel 10years younger:cool::cool:

Well I've just bought a tidy W124 cabriolet for £3250, try doing that in the spring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom