Do Car Thieves Now Break In Through The Middle Brake Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
Parked my SLK in London last night and have just noticed today the middle brake light has been prized out breaking the internal fixing. There's no other external damage to the car. I'm guessing this is an attempt to break into the boot somehow? If it was plane vandalism I think there would be other damage? Does anyone know if this has been a recent trend at all?:confused:

Parked my SLK in London last night and have just noticed today the middle brake light has been prized out breaking the internal fixing. There's no other external damage to the car. I'm guessing this is an attempt to break into the boot somehow? If it was plane vandalism I think there would be other damage? Does anyone know if this has been a recent trend at all?:confused:

Perhaps they were trying to steal it?

I was talking to someone today who had his AMG bumper grilles nicked...

They left it hanging out so didn't even take the light in the end. See what MB say tomorrow apart from "mmm, that's going to cost....."

They left it hanging out so didn't even take the light in the end. See what MB say tomorrow apart from "mmm, that's going to cost....."

The lights are almost £70 plus the VAT(and there was me saying MB parts are cheap...), have they done any damage to the bootlid?

No, which is the weird thing about it

Perhaps they were interrupted?

A couple of months ago I closed the Bootlid on the CLK and the light fell off.

I could see what looked like some mechanicals for the boot release mechanism.

MB fixed it the next day under warranty but its an interesting thought . . can thieves get into the boot through the light?

In a CLK they can drop the back seats then crawl through into the car.

Scary thought.

KJ

Yes, I would assume so but if you knew what you were doing and got into the cab quick enough surely you could press the unlock button and switch off the alarm?

How many people actually take notice of car alarms these days?

The only thing that switches my alarm off is sticking the key into the ignition and starting the car, not pressing the unlock button or am i mistaken here?

The only thing that switches my alarm off is sticking the key into the ignition and starting the car, not pressing the unlock button or am i mistaken here?

No, you are right, same here. You need the key to turn the alarm off, and not just the metal emergency key either, the car needs to communicate with the key.

Im not sure about Mercs...but I KNOW that ford focus can be broken into by shorting the brakelight, which shorts the cars electrics and opens the doors. Me and a mate tried it on his ST170...and it worked... :|

Needless to say he sold the car 2 months later.

Im not sure about Mercs...but I KNOW that ford focus can be broken into by shorting the brakelight, which shorts the cars electrics and opens the doors. Me and a mate tried it on his ST170...and it worked... :|

Now that is a rubbish design. with a car so popular

Surely not for that reason. Putting an inline fuse would stop the possibility of the short working.

from what i have experienced ..there is no connection between the third brake light and any locking mechanism on any mercedes....why would there be ?

I think the O/p meant does removing the brake light reveal the boot release mech.?

I dont suppose a mod could delete the last post so that the scum don't start breaking into our cars?

I deliberately didn`t mention how to do it!!

It won't stop the scallies trying though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom