Do dealers test drive car after major B service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proeliator2001

Car
W213 220d AMG P+
I've had a pretty shabby service experience with a dealer this week whilst the car was in for an service and before I totally lose my rag with them i wanted to double check something.

It's been sat with them for 2 clear days since the service was done waiting parts that still haven't come in so I got them to drop car back. Rather than the expected 5 miles on the trip computer it has 16 miles on it with horrific mpg (this is the 'from start' trip so would have been zero before starting up today). The running time was nearly an hour (it's a 15 minute trip max) but I think that's because they'll have left it running while giving it a wash down. So the question is, do dealers usually do a ten plus mile shake down run following a service or has my car been moonlighting as a taxi!

10 miles?

In my opinion you would come across as a complete tool if you were to have a whine about it.

No offence, just apply a little perspective, your car will cover thousands of miles per year and 10 miles is a drop in the ocean.

If that's the biggest thing you have to worry about, can we swap lives, please? [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely that's not the point? It's the principle. Someone has clearly taken his E300 out and ragged it around a bit. I'd be annoyed too.

What's their explanation for the miles?

Surely that's not the point? It's the principle. Someone has clearly taken his E300 out and ragged it around a bit. I'd be annoyed too.

What's their explanation for the miles?

I wouldn't say they have ragged it and let's be honest mate given these dealers see some very tasty motors I can't see a technician choosing an e300 to rag about can you? :crazy:

I'd not be happy at all. Why need to test drive it after a service. Hell I don't even like the misses driving it. Until last year I'd never had a garage or dealer service any of my cars until I got my e with full mb history so decided to get it done at mb. Nice experience until I get a call that this that and the other need changing. I let them do turbo seal and rear brake flex hoses and I did rear springs and front bushes myself. They said pads and discs need doing and that front disc 70% worn! Failed as i measured with a micrometer and only 30% worn so utter rubbish. And they cleaned the car which they will not be doing again as they scratched it but with no photos of said area where scratch is before hand I've no proof so they said of course it's not us sir doh. So now they or another dealer will only be doing what is needed for the stamp and I'll do the rest! Oh and I'll buy oil before hand as that's a con.

I've seen mechanics screeching up to the hand car washes around London in customers cars after they've done repair work etc... These mechanics definately abuse customers sporty cars but they are regular grease monkeys from independents.. Wouldn't expect MB to mis-use customers cars but you never know.

I used to know someone who used to be a VW technician at a dealership and according to him he and others used to take customer cars home at lunch time instead of using their own cars. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Last edited:
I used to know someone who used to be a VW technician at a dealership and according to him he and others used to take customer cars home at lunch time instead of using their own cars. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I've known MB dealer take my car home before now. But only with my agreement when trying to diagnose a particularly annoying intermittent problem. I appreciated their efforts.

Front and rear dashcams and a very reliable GPS tracker ... just sayin' :thumb:

Thanks for the replies, some supportive, some dubious in nature but all useful.

The reason I raised it isn't because omg there's ten more miles on the clock, the resale value will plummet. And it's not the only thing I have to worry about thanks, but I'm an excellent multi tasker so can pursue many issues at once ;)

The reason I raised it is that it's the last part of a very ****ty chain of events from what is supposed to be a premium marque who's customer service, and this is also based on the price of the service that is charged, ought to be off a high standard. So you think ten phantom miles is no issue. Would you mind a builder using your toothbrush and sitting watching your TV in your dressing gown whilst you're out? Or a tailor wearing your suit for a night out whilst you left it with them for repairs? No. Same principle applies. This is my personal car and i didn't leave it with them for their pleasure. If test drives are normal, to perform a shakedown and validation that all systems are good then I've no problem. If they have used my car without my permission to run errands and carry out personal business then I'll be properly ******. It increases risk of damage and is anyway an abuse of position.

In terms of them having "better cars to rag" than a lardy hybrid you're quite right but your can cane a 1 litre hire car. The point is, why was it being used at all. I don't actually think it was caned, the average speed was low so with low mpg I figure it was stationary with maybe a brisk run out, I'm not saying I think it was caned Ferris bueller style! But the fact it was used at all is the issue. 1 mile, 100 miles, makes no difference.

Any how's, from responses I've read it looks like it's not common practice to take them for an 'official' spin so I'll have words with them tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

Btw, properly active board this, previous car boards I've been on saw a reply a day coming in so thanks for your time.

Or find a reputable Indie who's personal livelihood depends on treating customer cars properly.

There's plenty recommended on here.

Thanks for the replies, some supportive, some dubious in nature but all useful.

The reason I raised it isn't because omg there's ten more miles on the clock, the resale value will plummet. And it's not the only thing I have to worry about thanks, but I'm an excellent multi tasker so can pursue many issues at once ;)

Certainly wasn't intending to sound flippant, so apologies if I came across that way!

I guess a test run would depend on what work has been done. The MPG is almost certainly down to idling. Perhaps there's a different shakedown regime for hybrids?

Hopefully there's a perfectly reasonable explanation when you raise it with them! [emoji106]

Certainly wasn't intending to sound flippant, so apologies if I came across that way!

I guess a test run would depend on what work has been done. The MPG is almost certainly down to idling. Perhaps there's a different shakedown regime for hybrids?

Hopefully there's a perfectly reasonable explanation when you raise it with them! [emoji106]

No offence taken :D

It was raining today, I'll postulate it was left running to keep interior dry while they vacuumed it and gave it a spruce. Would be sensible if they did that. I had sat navigation updated and I read ages ago it's left running while they do it so I know the hybid would be depleted on monday so all on diesel while idling today . lf it showed mid 20S mpg & high average speed l'd be banging their door tomorrow; I've never manged less than early 30s on a ten miles plus trip and thats with a proper hurry on :eek:

I would use an independant but I'm giving Merc Zero excuses for not paying out on any warranty claim. Too many horror stories of 9 grand battery Failures on the e 300 to risk it! I use indies for my other car & they are leagues ahead of main dealers for knowledge & support. Made the switch when a franchised tech went to look in front of the car to look at engine; it's mid engine! Didn't instil me with confidence :fail

I would use an independant but I'm giving Merc Zero excuses for not paying out on any warranty claim. Too many horror stories of 9 grand battery Failures on the e 300 to risk it! I use indies for my other car & they are leagues ahead of main dealers for knowledge & support. Made the switch when a franchised tech went to look in front of the car to look at engine; it's mid engine! Didn't instil me with confidence :fail

Haha! Yeah, when the tech can't find the engine, it's time to find somewhere else to service your car! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I had my maps updated at command online. They connect an external power source to save the battery & make sure the voltage stays constant - I gather it can cause corruption...

A B Service will include a road test. Their road test route will be 2-5 miles I expect. Part of the road test is to kick it down to check performance and gearbox ability. The poor fuel economy will be down to it idling when being serviced or driven to the wash bay etc.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom