Do Higher offset wheels have shorter bolts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
like it says really, ive got a set of genuine merc wheels coming with a 44 offset (S Class) and was thinking about adding a 10 mm hubcentric spacers (straight through type) and was just wondering whether i would need to get longer bolts or just use the bolts that fit my 35 offset wheels ?

cheers

brett

I think you would be wise to get bolts that are 10mm longer so you have the same amount in the hub flange

I don't see why the offset makes a difference to the bolt length.

If fitting spacers on same wheels then yes longer bolts are required.

And if changing the wheels (same offset or not) then the thickness of the wheel around the bolt hole may be relevant if different.

The bolt length is dependant on the thickness of the alloy between the bottom of the bolthole and the mounting face of the rim. That's got nothing to do with the offset.

To make an illustration take two steel rims. Both rims are made from steel 4mm thick. One is 30ET and one is 50ET, however they would both use the same length bolts which would be 4mm + the 15mm or whatever depth was reqd in the hub.
If one of the rims was of 10mm steel then it would require bolts 10mm + 15mm irrespective of the offset.

Phew! :D

Last edited:
thats what i thought really. I havent picked up the ET44 wheels yet but ive got a high offset set of genuine merc wheels here right in front of me and the actual distance from the flat faced back to the start of bolt seating seems very small (8mm or so) whilst im sure on my monoblocks the distance was about 15 mm ???

You may be seriously limited on bolt availability.
M12 Thread with a M14 seat if using S class wheels on a W202.

^ Does it not depend on which S class? Pre the 14mm bolt S classes had 12mm bolts like all the rest...iirc :dk:

Its no bother, ive done it before, my tyre man got me some m14 headed m12 bolts (to use with replica monoblocks) that were extra long (cost about 50 quid IIRC) - its just a pain (and time consuming) angle grinding down to the correct size

^ Does it not depend on which S class? Pre the 14mm bolt S classes had 12mm bolts like all the rest...iirc :dk:

Last S with M12 was the W126 with an offset of ET25.

ET40+ will be W140 onwards with M14 bolts.

Its no bother, ive done it before, my tyre man got me some m14 headed m12 bolts (to use with replica monoblocks) that were extra long (cost about 50 quid IIRC) - its just a pain (and time consuming) angle grinding down to the correct size

Good stuff, as long as you're aware!

Im only aware as when i had these monoblock reps fitted years ago my tyre man handed me the bolts and a hack saw and sent me on my way !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom