Do HPI reports show theft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
I'm going to look at a car tomorrow at a garage and I have found out from the previous owner that the car was stolen from him. Apparently by the time it was recovered, his insurance company had already paid out and he had another car. So the insurance company sold it through an auction to the garage who has it now.

So my question is this. Would an HPI report show this theft?

from my understanding if an insurance pays out for theft then the car is categorised as a Cat D, so yes, the HPI report should show it.

The answer is Yes. Your HPI report will show this. Its now part of the cars history and has been recorded. This information is also recorded on the Police National Computer.
It will be available to the person you eventualy sell to if they choose to check.
Regards
Shane

Sorry, but it's a popular misconception that cars that are stolen and then recovered will show on HPi. There is no such thing as a stolen/recovered category on HPi. It will only show up if it was damaged when it was recovered.
More and more cars are being stolen with the keys these days and when they are subsequently recovered undamaged the insurance companies can choose not to record them and they will not show up on HPi, even if they paid out.
So, basically if it shows as a Cat D then it's definitely been damaged.

Last edited:
Post up a copy of the report when you get it. Just hide the registration and chassis numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom