Do I buy a Diesel or Stick with Petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulPJ

Car
C220 CDi
Hi All, I currently drive a C Class 180K but I am thinking about trading her in for a newer model. I have seen a 2013 C Class 2.1 C220 SE 7G Tronic which I really like but I hardly do any mileage as I work from home and I am wondering if I might cause issues for myself when it comes to DPF's etc. I know that some modern cars suffer if they don't have a good run up the motorway on a regular basis and it costs a small fortune to correct them. Between the last 2 MOT's I did 4747 miles. Would the low mileage causes me problems in the future or would I be OK with the mileage I do. Thanks Paul

Petrol for you. Don't waste another second pondering.
(The low mileage you do is a real risk for the DPF etc, and any fuel economy benefits the diesel might deliver are of little consequence at this mileage).

Hi Bellow, thank you for answering my question. I have seen some really nice Diesels but was very concerned about the mileage I do hence the question regarding DPF's. I had a diesel before the Merc but I was driving from Southampton to Leeds every other week so mileage was never an issue. Paul

It is but my opinion I have given.
Some others may come along and say a diesel is a better choice and tell of low mileages and no DPF problems - in which case myself and others may regard them as merely 'lucky'.
My view is as I expressed it. Let's see what others have to say. If there is doubt though, a petrol is a safe bet.

It is but my opinion I have given.
Some others may come along and say a diesel is a better choice and tell of low mileages and no DPF problems - in which case myself and others may regard them as merely 'lucky'.
My view is as I expressed it. Let's see what others have to say. If there is doubt though, a petrol is a safe bet.
I’d agree with this. I read the Honest John column in the Telegraph from time to time and he is often asked similar questions and always unequivocally advises petrol for lower-mileage or short-trip drivers.

Had numerous c class diesels but have now got a petrol glc, only done 2000 miles in 5 months so it was a no brainer. Your problem may be finding a suitable petrol c class as most are diesel.

Had numerous c class diesels but have now got a petrol glc, only done 2000 miles in 5 months so it was a no brainer. Your problem may be finding a suitable petrol c class as most are diesel.

Hi All, I currently drive a C Class 180K but I am thinking about trading her in for a newer model. I have seen a 2013 C Class 2.1 C220 SE 7G Tronic which I really like but I hardly do any mileage as I work from home and I am wondering if I might cause issues for myself when it comes to DPF's etc. I know that some modern cars suffer if they don't have a good run up the motorway on a regular basis and it costs a small fortune to correct them. Between the last 2 MOT's I did 4747 miles. Would the low mileage causes me problems in the future or would I be OK with the mileage I do. Thanks Paul

On that mileage I'd say petrol.

Depends.

If the 5000 miles you drive a year are for example 100 x 50 mile motorway/a-road trips then diesel would still be ok.

If you’re going around town then petrol.

How about electric or hybrid?

Hi All, thanks for all the help. There are a few Petrol versions about and most are within 50 miles of me. As for Hybrid or Electric, they are too expensive for me budget. I will keep looking and wait until the right one comes along.
What was the M271 fiasco?
Paul

I would say go petrol to be honest or drive faster at higher revs but you’ll get some looks!

Are there any reliable petrol MBs after the M271 fiasco ?
My C180 CGI has the 1.6L Turbo M274 engine, introduced in 2013, and it does not suffer from the timing gear issue that plagued the M271.

If buying a car with COMAND Online (as opposed to Audio20)... then go for a late 2013 or 2014 car, because it will have the TomTom Live Traffic subscription.. I believe this was introduced around July 2013. It's a paid-for service, but without it COMAND only has the free TMC which isn't great.

My dads got a 2015 E220 Convertible. He does no more than 4-5k miles a year and mainly does town driving. He potters around in it and it’s probed totally reliable with no DPF issues

I have had 3mercedes diesels since 2012 always c class, 2 second hand last one bran new, do around the same miles as you circa 4750 all around town, never had a problem with anyof them, I think pay your money and take you choice.......

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice given. Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom