Do I have broken AC - how long does yours recirculate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Right, since getting the CLS a year and a half ago I've been a firmly "AC always on" kind of guy. Much more pleasant environment in the car and I get to avoid all the fumes belching out of lesser non-MB cars as I also run recirculate.

I noticed normally it stays on recirculate for 30mins before turning off recirculate automatically, at that point I can press it again if needed.

Noticed today that it's now 5 minutes exactly before recirc switches off. This I believe is what happens as standard with AC switched off, however my AC is definitely switched on.

So I am thinking maybe my AC needs repair/regassing? I've also noticed it's not as fierce in dispensing with condensation. What have other people observed on allowed recirculation time in colder weather?

The thing that worries me is on a trip to the lakes last weekend I was giving way to an ambulance and dropped the front wheel a foot down an embankment (albeit a 1mph) with a thunk. Chinned the front bumper on a concrete kerb but no other visible or steering damage. I am just concerned maybe the AC rad/condenser has taken some impact and been dislodged or something.

I used to run recirculation mode all the time in my old Honda, however, over time I started to notice a mouldy smell inside the cabin. I think its because the system is only recirculating used air and not fresh air.

So I only use recirculation mode as intended, for smokey areas or when you have to follow a smokey van on an A road lol.

I would just get a good AC garage to check for leaks.

not a good idea to leave recirculate on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom