Do I have Harmon Kardon amplifier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeysnowey

Car
E320 CDI (Retired) - Now driving R Class 2009 Sport
Nope, not seen HK written anywhere. which I thought meant it doesn't have it, but there is no way I can believe the bassy rich sound from the stereo doesn't involve an amplifier somewhere, its just too heavy. Maybe I am wrong though

Hi,
What head unit do you have? If Command, which type?
As I believe ALL Command systems have an Amp, just a different one if you have Command and HK.

Sorry, should have said. I have the NTG2.5

Am I right in thinking non HK means an amp but wired normally, HK means fibre? Just trying to work out if I need their extra accessory to make it work with fibre amp

Hi,
My understanding in this age of Mercedes is if you have Command then you have a Fibre Amp, if you also have the HK option then you have a different fibre Amp.

thanks, yes i have read that. So many darn variations, I suppose the only way to know if to pull my unit out and look for a fibre connection

Some slightly inaccurate info so far.

If you have NTG 2.5 go to the sound settings and see if there is a Logic 7 option. If there is you have HK if not, you dont.

Cars with HK use and external amplifier. NTG 2.5 cars without HK do not have a separate amplifier. The head unit drives the speakers.

Very useful thanks for clarification. Just to confirm, if I don't have separate amplifier I think I can assume there is no fibre connections or cable to worry about?
I checked sound settings and all it has is Bass, Treble, and the Fader thingie. So i think I am a no HK case, which is good news for aftermarket stereo, thanks.
Just reading your bio - what does "filly dynamatted" mean? And since you know your Mercs and aren't opposed to some upgrades.... Whats you're view on remapping, if you have one?!
thanks again

Very useful thanks for clarification. Just to confirm, if I don't have separate amplifier I think I can assume there is no fibre connections or cable to worry about?
I checked sound settings and all it has is Bass, Treble, and the Fader thingie. So i think I am a no HK case, which is good news for aftermarket stereo, thanks.
Just reading your bio - what does "filly dynamatted" mean? And since you know your Mercs and aren't opposed to some upgrades.... Whats you're view on remapping, if you have one?!
thanks again

Fibre is also used on an HK car if you have DAB or media interface. Easiest if you email me your VIN number to [email protected] I can then tell you.

Fully dynamatted means - all seats out all door cards off all the carpet out from the car and the boot area, side panels removed. Basically everything I could get out came out (excpet roof lining as its glued in!) All surfaces then covered in well applied dynamat sound deadening material. All panels, trims and carpets and seats re-installed. Car is now very much quieter than it was before with more depth to the sound from the massively upgraded audio system.

Ive remapped one of my cars which was an A class (W169) diesel and the results were astonishing. Celtic tuning is who I used.

Ha, thanks, Celtic Tuning is who I intend to use too! Wow, the sound deadening must make it like an audio studio in there! I have to say, I am quite unimpressed with the sound from my NTG2.5. I had an Audi Allroad 2004 before, which had Bose system. The sound in that was truly astonishing for a factory fit, really blew me away. Getting into the Merc feels like a huge step up in every direction, EXCEPT audio! I don't have the VIN yet sadly, the dealer needs a nudge i think! thanks though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom