Do I just prise the central off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deliguy

Car
Vito W638
So do I just prise the centre cap off with a screwdriver or is there a non-breaky way of doing it?

Attachments

• rsz_20170708_101428.jpg
    rsz_20170708_101428.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 46
The correct way is to remove the wheel and knock them out from the back.

You could try applying some decent adhesive tape to make a handle of sorts, something like this: _||_ though I've always found by the time I've faffed around it's just as quick to whip the wheels off...

A sat nav windscreen sucker gets mine off. :D

A screwdriver is too risky.

You can't take the wheel off to remove these, they're covering the nuts.

Gaffer tape formed into a T shape as said should work, or a sharp knife that can get in the small gap and pry it open?

If you look closer there is a notch at one point, I would still use a small screwdriver with tape over the end to avoid any scratches.
There is usually a tool provided in the car where the jack is for removing these.

^^^ what he said

A sat nav windscreen sucker gets mine off. :D

A screwdriver is too risky.

As above.

I removed mine using the suction cap from my mobile phone holder. Just lock the suction cap on the wheel cap then pull it forward slowly. Works a charm.

I should add that mine are the original MB caps; some say that the cheaper aftermarket caps are a tighter fit and won't budge that easy.

In any even I wouldn't use a screw driver because if it slipped it might damage the alloy wheel.

It's the regular 50mm diameter Merc hub caps which need tape or pushing through from the back.

I've been driving round with a new set of caps in the boot for 6 months! Will be trying the day nav sucker idea tomorrow. Thanks.

Looks like a job for a plastic trim removal tool! I got a set as a freebie when I bought a replacement centre shaft for the Comand control knob, something like these :
Car Radio Door Body Clip Panel Trim Dash Audio Plastic Removal Pry Tool 11 PCS | eBay
worked a treat removing the plastic gearstick surround on my 968 tip cab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom