Do I or dont I pay??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
Have been away from the forum a little while, time was taken up with my new toy (Honda Blade) but now I am back, lol. Just had the ML detailed and yet again, Shaun at NECC, has done an amazing job (pics and review of nigh on 6 months ownership to follow shortly). Unfortunately the only thing letting the ML down is the wheels, or rather the condition of them. They are OEM 21" AMG versions, which were an optional extra when new. They are now 3 years old and show signs of corrosion due to them being diamond cut.
I took it into the stealers a week or so ago, they took some pictures, 'ummed and 'ard for a while, argued the toss that some of the corrosion was due to them being kerbed but accepted others weren't. Received a telephone call today from them, stating as the car is out of the 3 year warranty period (by approx a month) but has FMBSH, they will pay 75% towards the cost of a NEW set of wheels, as they don't refurb them. Oh and the 'hub caps' weren't included, these were an additional £65!!
So what's my 25% contribution........£840!!

So my dilemma is, do I pay the money and have 4 brand new wheels for the corrosion to happen again further down the line, or keep my originals, pay circa £250 and have them refurbed, powder coated instead if diamond cut.

Thoughts??

Whoa! They are pricey wheels though, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, so 25% of a big number is still a big number!

Are these them? If so are they grey and diamond cut, or silver and diamond cut? Just arranging for ours to be done.

2012-mercedes-benz-ml63-amg-front-three-quarters.jpg

I'd haggle some more, buy them and then try and sell them on as brand new... Use the profit to get yours refurbished. Personally wouldn't go for diamond finish again as they always corrode. The brabus wheels on my vito are starting to corrode where slight stone chips have gone through.

Second option, when the tyres need replacing.

Powder coat. You can get some fantastic colours now. Pretty much any colour you want and it's durable. Unless you use your rims as kerb finders.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'd haggle some more, buy them and then try and sell them on as brand new... Use the profit to get yours refurbished. Personally wouldn't go for diamond finish again as they always corrode. The brabus wheels on my vito are starting to corrode where slight stone chips have gone through.

Every time I've heard of this type of arrangement, a condition is that the originals must be returned, ie you don't get an 'extra' set. That said if you can negotiate to keep the originals, then you could end up with a tidy profit!

Powder coat or paint.
That way, you are not paying £840 and they are not refurbishing your old wheels and flogging them on to someone else and getting their money back (yes, my middle name is indeed, Cynical) i.e. you are the only one paying and for their sub-standard goods.
Besides, a man in a van can repair a lot these days, cheaply and quickly, but not diamond cut which need sending away.

Whatever option you choose, go for much wider tyres....that way the rims are protected from the occasional "brush" qgainst the kerb.

Unless a woman is driving it, of course.

I think you will find that a really good refurb on your wheels ie dipping etch priming powder coating painting then lacquer will be more than £250 but saying that you will end up with a better finish than the short lived factory finish. If it was me I would go down the refurb route unless you can negotiate free replacements or keep your originals.

I'm with the others- get them painted or powder coat- I would NEVER EVER have Diamond cut again, you just have to look at them the wrong way and they mark and corrode

Powder coat definitely....... and if you can get an extra set for 75% off then you have a set of wheels for winter tyres at a ''reasonable'' cost......if it is not an extra set don't bother.

Mic

If you take up the 75% contribution offer you won't get to keep the old set, so forget that idea.

Diamond Cut wheels will always end up with the lacquer getting milky spots and eventually obvious signs of corrosion. This will probably take 3+ years if you use the vehicle when salt is on the road and you don't use the rims as kerb finders. It will be sooner if you do. On 21" wheels, a quality paint/powder refurb will cost in the region of £100 per wheel.

So, I guess the decision factors are a) Are you wedded to the "OEM look"; b) How long do you intend to keep the car; c) Are you likely to kerb the wheels

Powder coat is the best option by far which what I chose. I never understand why people like diamond cut finish as they soon loose their looks.

+ 1 for powder coat.

I have the exact same issue but only on the rears, the fronts are perfect but they will no doubt go the same at some point.

I've been quoted £100 per wheel for the diamond cut option or £300 for all four to be powder coated.

Thanks for all the replies. Firstly mine are not the fully blown 63 AMG ones, they are like the ones pictured below (twin 5 spoke, silber in colour with diamond cut outers and facing edges):
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...azPsZiQxwIVBCzbCh3XtA6R#imgrc=uPkcFfwWjznWwM:

The stealers have confirmed I will not be allowed to keep my originals, just my nearly new tyres will be put onto there new rims!
All said and done, I have decided I will go down the powder coated route, probably in a shade of grey if not silver.
Although this is the bosses car, the wheels were suffering a little kerb rash prior to us owning it, just not enough for it to bother me as I was hoping to change the rims for some other OEMs. As this doesn't seem like its happening now, I will be getting them refurbed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom