Do I really need a service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok here's a breakdown of what I got done on my 63 plate C220 with exactly 40k on the clock.

----
(All minus VAT)
A service - £157.50
Inc.
Oil filter
Oil
Screen wash
Wash & Vac

Extra (the 5 in A5)
Air filter - £49.96
Fuel filter - £104.95
Brake fluid - £49.17

MOT - £45
(Advisory - replace rear brakes & discs) - £224.25

All in £747.99 (inc VAT)

Said it would have cost about £900+ at the main dealer with the brake pads.

One other thing to note about the Service Care Plan... it effectively covers a certain number of services, so if your car is out of warranty you can bring it in whenever you like i.e. not necessarily strictly each 12 months.

The point is that you have pre-paid for 2 (or 3) services, and MB will carry these out whenever you want.

The reason for mentioning this is that the additional items covered by the Service Care Plan are time-related... so if you bring in the car too early then ESS might not flag-up the additional items and the dealer won't do them.

As an example if the ATF needs to be changed 'every 5 years', then it is not the same as 'on the 5th service'... if you present the car for the 5th service early i.e. before the 5 years have elapsed, ESS might not flag-up the ATF change.

So to be on the safe side I would recommend to book the service for a date which is full 4 years (or 5 full years - as applicable) from First Registration date - even if it means stretching the time interval a bit.

(I am not sure if the starting date on ESS is the Delivery Date on the DataCard or the First Regurgitation Date on the V5C, but I would use the First Registration Date to be on the safe side)

One other thing to note about the Service Care Plan... it effectively covers a certain number of services, so if your car is out of warranty you can bring it in whenever you like i.e. not necessarily strictly each 12 months.

The point is that you have pre-paid for 2 (or 3) services, and MB will carry these out whenever you want.

The reason for mentioning this is that the additional items covered by the Service Care Plan are time-related... so if you bring in the car too early then ESS might not flag-up the additional items and the dealer won't do them.

As an example if the ATF needs to be changed 'every 5 years', then it is not the same as 'on the 5th service'... if you present the car for the 5th service early i.e. before the 5 years have elapsed, ESS might not flag-up the ATF change.

So to be on the safe side I would recommend to book the service for a date which is full 4 years (or 5 full years - as applicable) from First Registration date - even if it means stretching the time interval a bit.

(I am not sure if the starting date on ESS is the Delivery Date on the DataCard or the First Regurgitation Date on the V5C, but I would use the First Registration Date to be on the safe side)
And this is probably best answer for asked question. I see this in exactly same way, and I'll be booking my services in just over 1 year apart intervals. Thank you.

The '5' in your A5 service stands for Brake fluid/Air filter and fuel filter so only 3 extra items.

Did you have the warning light on for your brakes?

The '5' in your A5 service stands for Brake fluid/Air filter and fuel filter so only 3 extra items.

Did you have the warning light on for your brakes?

Yes - only 3 extra items, not 5.

No, no warning lights for the brakes. They were an advisory item on the MOT - 80% worn or something similar - haven't been changed in 4 years. New brakes feel considerably better.

MarkJay - some help on deciding on service care plan would be appreciated.

I picked up a Feb 2014 C63 today and the service schedule (I'm told) ran

1st - A Feb 2015 6800 miles
2nd - B Feb 2016 not sure
3rd - A Feb 2017 23000 miles

So is it worth stumping up for the service plan especially as there is the AMG offer code on till 31st October?

What service costs would 1, 2 and 3 years?

Thanks in advance

MarkJay - some help on deciding on service care plan would be appreciated.

I picked up a Feb 2014 C63 today and the service schedule (I'm told) ran

1st - A Feb 2015 6800 miles
2nd - B Feb 2016 not sure
3rd - A Feb 2017 23000 miles

So is it worth stumping up for the service plan especially as there is the AMG offer code on till 31st October?

What service costs would 1, 2 and 3 years?

Thanks in advance

Years 4 and 5 will be expensive without a service contract. Plugs, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc). Timing is good to move, but get quotes for individual services and additional items and compare with your Service Congra g quotes.

Years 4 and 5 will be expensive without a service contract. Plugs, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc). Timing is good to move, but get quotes for individual services and additional items and compare with your Service Congra g quotes.
Service plan is £1500 over 3 years so it'd be good if someone on here could indicate typical pricing for these next individual services.

Thanks

I don't the answer because I don't have an AMG and don't know the service costs.

But as Bobby Dazzler said, the services in years 4 and 5 are the big ones, so if you are taking out a service plan, make sure it covers these two services.

No problem. I'll call Mercedes and get a quote for the services as well as checking the coverage by the plan. Thanks for the help.

Service plan is £1500 over 3 years so it'd be good if someone on here could indicate typical pricing for these next individual services.

Thanks

No problem. I'll call Mercedes and get a quote for the services as well as checking the coverage by the plan. Thanks for the help.

I think you have a N/A M156 6.2 engine? We don't have a service plan on ours, but we do on our BiT M157 5.5, so this may be a useful indication...

I'm lucky as I have a good main dealer relatively close by, and a combination of factors mean that I benefit from some fantastic service costs. However I've just taken out a service contract as I will at best save £700 over three years and worst break even over the duration of the contract.

Look up what's due and when in your handbook or online handbook, and then do an online quote for different combinations of age and mileage to get the online quote tool to give you the costs for each service and each additional item. Add them up and compare to the total contract cost.

Ive just checked the pricing and I reckon I'd be in the same place as you bobby, save if I use more items or break even worst case.

It makes it easy in a way to have that recurring monthly payment to ensure there is money set aside for the service day!

I've got prices from my local independent for the next 3 services on my C63

Service B including charcoal dust filter £315
Service A including brake fluid and spark plugs £501
Service B including charcoal dust filter and air filters £391

All using Mobil 1 oil.

Hope this helps?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom