Do i tell insurance, or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adrian5405

Car
2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
No nothing dodgy :D

No idea how but the good lady has somehow managed to put a scrape on the rear wing/bumper.
Whilst its not very big it needs to be done.

Our insurance XS is £175, and a local repair company want over £300 so its a no brainer as far as cost goes.
We have protected no claims but what im wondering is how long it will stay on file?

When renewing every year im guessing ill have to go through the rigmarole of declaring it etc.
Im also concerned if it will cost more in the long run if they jack the price up, even though we have protected no claims.

Has anyone any thoughts about the best way to go?

Thanks.

If no 3rd party involved, sort it yourself...

No third party involved, just a wall i think as it had white powdery stuff on the area

No third party involved, just a wall i think as it had white powdery stuff on the area

You might want to keep that sort of detail to yourself. :devil:

Agree with general comment, don't tell them otherwise it will go on record as a driver at fault incident even though there was no claim and no third party involved. I did this once when I scrapped a wall, it was on my record for 5 years and whilst the no claim discount was not affected the underlying premiums were higher for this 5 years so must have cost me hundreds. Insurance companies are only in it for themselves! :eek:

Get er indoors to pay for it!

I'd find a good bodyshop to repair it and pay for it yourself.

Not all bodyshops can be tarred with the same brush, but I've seen some horrendous repairs from insurance paint jobs. Finding a good one isn't easy either though.

I had some minor scrapes (one was due to my not seeing a low concrete post while reversing; the rest were "supermarket scars") sorted on my BMW a few years back by Chips Away. The guy did an excellent job, but I don't know if I was lucky or if they're all good.

If you go to a small independent body shop, explain you will be paying cash for the repair, you may be pleasantly surprised at the price.

I had some minor scrapes (one was due to my not seeing a low concrete post while reversing; the rest were "supermarket scars") sorted on my BMW a few years back by Chips Away. The guy did an excellent job, but I don't know if I was lucky or if they're all good.

We've had 2 bumper repairs done by our local chips away - very pleased with the results.

I wouldn't recommend chipsaway, it is very dependant on the ability of the individual and in my experience i would take it to a decent bodyshop and get it done properly. I'd also pay for it myself, you'll end up paying more in the long run if you sort it as an insurance claim.

Yup, pay for it yourself, any insurance declaration that you make as 'your fault' is going to live on your record.

Just explain to SWMBO that the next pair of shoes is on 'hold'.

Last edited:
Yes pay for it yourself,just remind her when you go shopping that the new shoes or bag are out of the question,well you might get away with it,I would not try it but you feel free to give it a go, please post what happened,also I would not use the chips away guy around here I have seen some of his work,use a proper spray shop.

Be very sympathetic with SWMBO in my opinion. Or if you have a similar misfortune you will never hear the end of it.

Take it on the chin and just pay for it of I was you. As many members above have stated already it really is not worth it. Anything less than £300 you are better keeping the insurance peeps in the dark...

Many thanks for all the replies guys, its a very one sided response. As you all say theyll get their money back off me several times over by the sound of it..
Bloody annoying though, pay them hundreds every year but cant use then as they'll take even more.

I posted the same question on another car forum im a member of and they have all said the same as you guys,

Ive even though about trying to patch it up with a touch up brush but the car is too good for that.

Looks like im going to get a couple more quotes and find some deep pockets.

Many thanks again.

Telling the insurers - well, you might as well bend over a table and tell them to pull your pants down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom