do mercedes benz lakeside know what they are talking about ?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jameshaydon

Car
W203 C Class
hi all,

rang mercedes today just to find out a price on an audio 20 unit with command. The guy there said he did LOTS of research and said that my car was not pre-wired (which i knew) and that the car will need to be wired with the phone kit from the boot ect.....

I explained i wanted the new "bluetooth" audio 20 to do away with the hassle of the wiring, and that the only wires needed would be those for the microphone, and steering wheel to radio....

am i correct in saying this ?

many thanks

James (sorry):crazy:

MB has both Bluetooth telephony which should not require wiring (other then mic) as it is built-in to the Audio/COMAND unit, or Convenience Telephony - the older system with the cradle etc - which does require wiring, as the unit itself is separate and need to be installed in addition to the Audio or COMAND unit..

The former is easier and cheaper to install, but there are limitations: due to the lack of cradle the handset does not charge, plus it does not benefit from having an external GSM aerial. Also, the Convenience Telephony has some additional features such as SMS messages read-out, which are not available with the built-in Bluetooth.

So perhaps MB Lakeside were quoting for the full Convenience Telephony package - which can have an optional Bluetooth cradle, hence the confusion?

The only thing that does puzzle me is that the Convenience Telephony on the W203 is installed under the centre from armrest - not in the boot - so not sure what they are talking about... unless yours is a CDI with the battery in the boot?

Last edited:
MB has both Bluetooth telephony which should not require wiring (other then mic) as it is built-in to the Audio/COMAND unit, or Convenience Telephony - the older system with the cradle etc - which does require wiring, as the unit itself is separate and need to be installed in addition to the Audio or COMAND unit..

The former is easier and cheaper to install, but there are limitations: due to the lack of cradle the handset does not charge, plus it does not benefit from having an external GSM aerial. Also, the Convenience Telephony has some additional features such as SMS messages read-out, which are not available with the built-in Bluetooth.

So perhaps MB Lakeside were quoting for the full Convenience Telephony package - which can have an optional Bluetooth cradle, hence the confusion?

The only thing that does puzzle me is that the Convenience Telephony on the W203 is installed under the centre from armrest - not in the boot - so not sure what they are talking about... unless yours is a CDI with the battery in the boot?

thanks for reply....

no mine is a petrol, this is what i did not understand.....

also to configure the controls on the steering wheel, to the headunit, do i need a lead ? or is it just "coded" to get working.

many thanks

james

Your best bet is to contact Alfie and Richard, both are members here, through their website:

Comand Online Ltd

And, whatever MB Lakeside quote for, it is likely to be be cheaper from (and definitely better done by) Alfie and Richard.

MB Lakeside used to be my local dealer.....but

I never used them. You've outlined one reason why.

I would imagine that they are quoting to provide the kit that your car would have had at the time of manufacture if that option box would have been ticked.

Your after a radio that would never have been fitted to a W203.

Comand Online as above are going to be more used to this type of retrofit than your typical dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom