Do new Mercedes have a device making them impervious to bad weather?

StuartB

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
31
Location
Surrey
Car
Mercedes C43 AMG/Aston Martin V8 Volante/Aston Martin DB7/ Mercedes S-Class
I was overtakien today on the A3 today by a new Mercedes E class doing over 100 in the rain, when just about 60 would have been safe?

Have MB created a new option making their cars impervious to bad weather?
 
Last edited:

mbzslk230k

Active Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2003
Messages
126
Location
London
Car
R170 SLK 230K, W140 S500, W203 C220CDI
Nah -- they always had them ... They are called DELIVERY DRIVERS !
 

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
3,241
Location
Wales, U.K.
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Hi Stuart, How's it going? How's that lil' demon of a Peugeot going? :devil:

StuartB said:
I was overtakien today on the A3 today by a new Mercedes E class doing over 100 in the rain, when just about 60 would have been safe?

Have MB created a new option making their cars impervious to bad weather?
Maybe he was using the cruise control without having read the handbook? ;) :D Or perhaps he has a new "it won't happen to me" button. :p

S.
 

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 6, 2003
Messages
1,313
Location
Hertfordshire
Car
C43 estate
It wasn't a E320 CDI in Cubanite with W2 at the begining of the number plate was it? :D :D :D
 

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
3,508
Location
Surrey
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Simple. The normal laws of Physics do not apply on the A3, especially in the wet.
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
Steve_Perry said:
Maybe he was using the cruise control without having read the handbook? ;) :D
If you check the handbook it says as an example that you should use the speed limiter function of the cruise control to keep from going over 120mph in winter conditions ;) .
 

vito113

Active Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
314
Location
Emsworth
Car
One that's too slow…
Phew! That's alright then!

Shude said:
If you check the handbook it says as an example that you should use the speed limiter function of the cruise control to keep from going over 120mph in winter conditions ;) .
Well that's a relief! I thought for a minute he was going too fast! He was obviously following the manufacturers safety guidelines ;-p Wonder if that would stand up in court?

Andy
 

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
3,241
Location
Wales, U.K.
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
vito113 said:
Well that's a relief! I thought for a minute he was going too fast! He was obviously following the manufacturers safety guidelines ;-p Wonder if that would stand up in court?

Andy
LOL I could just picture that... "Honest m'lud, the manufacturer recommends a maximum speed of 120mph on main roads in winter conditions" ;)

S.
 

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
2,316
Location
Northamptonshire
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
This is one of the standard items that was fitted to the Vito that I really miss on my C-Class.

It is on my list of mods and I am waiting for one to come up on ebay. Evidently it is very easy to fit and works really well.
 

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
6,283
Location
East Midlands
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
jimmy said:
This is one of the standard items that was fitted to the Vito that I really miss on my C-Class.

It is on my list of mods and I am waiting for one to come up on ebay. Evidently it is very easy to fit and works really well.
I'll let you "Clone" mine if you like Jimmy. :rock:

You might have to adjust the speed limiter for your eh? :D :D
 

Philirv

Active Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
100
Location
Oxford
Car
Mercedes Benz W124 E280 Auto
Did you know that the pre-owned E Class (W124) comes with this as standard as well.

Except that there's no limiter at 120mph !
 

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
2,254
Location
Feering,Essex
Car
C180k for Wifey, Focus Ecoboost 6 speed
Philirv said:
Did you know that the pre-owned E Class (W124) comes with this as standard as well.

Except that there's no limiter at 120mph !
I think they both got deleted on mine... :( :(
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
when the brake switch died on my previous c230k the BAS/ASR light came on and cruise control was disabled. I didn't get the switch fixed for about 3 months or something so in the meantime had to use the speed limiter as a kind-of cruise control, works in a similar way really, set the limiter to 80mph for example and rest my foot on the gas pedal :) . It was very much appreciated on the long journeys I can tell you! :D
 

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 13, 2003
Messages
2,022
Location
Staffordshire
Car
CLK 200 kompressor w209
I reckon it was a BMW driver taking a test drive or shoud I say flight ;)
 

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
1,181
Location
West Yorkshire
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
pluggers said:
I reckon it was a BMW driver taking a test drive or shoud I say flight ;)
I agree, it's a known fact that 99% of BMW drivers give the rest of them a bad name.
 

mercedes lover

Active Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
425
Location
London
Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
kikkthecat said:
I agree, it's a known fact that 99% of BMW drivers give the rest of them a bad name.
I think your right, have a brother with a 330i and a brother in law with a 320i convertable and they are typical of bmw drivers, and the 2 biggest wa**ers you could meet in your life. I was gonna put a post on BMW forum asking advice on choosing between mercedes and BMW but someone had put the post already so just read their's. When it got down to it the BMW drivers started giving out about mercedes drivers and how mercedes are rubbish to driver one guy said a ford focus is better to drive than a mercedes. But when I posted a thread here on choosing no one slatted the bmw driver or car. So I know know that next car i'm definitly going for a mercedes and as soon as possible. Dont like the BMW image, what ever people say most are a certain type person! :D :D
 

vito113

Active Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
314
Location
Emsworth
Car
One that's too slow…
mercedes lover said:
When it got down to it the BMW drivers started giving out about mercedes drivers and how mercedes are rubbish to driver one guy said a ford focus is better to drive than a mercedes.
Unfortunatly, Mercedes Engineers really could pick up a thing or two from how a BMW handles! In general they are very well sorted cars. Mercs are not really set up as 'sports' saloons, and most Beemers can comprehensively outhandle a Mercedes. Mercs are more at home as motorway cruisers.

Andy
 

mercedes lover

Active Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
425
Location
London
Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
That's not the point, point is what there like, they stand there corner alot more than mercedes owners, there always ready to fight to prove the BMW name is the best, also good at having a dig at mercedes drivers e.g. was reading one post that said mercedes drivers just like to turn a fat steering wheel wobbling there fat bellys bouncing down a road, and that mercedes drivers dont like driving. I think mercedes owners should stand there corner more! Be more proud of the brand! Just what I think :devil:
 

sym

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 2, 2003
Messages
4,336
Location
North London
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
mercedes lover said:
was reading one post that said mercedes drivers just like to turn a fat steering wheel wobbling there fat bellys bouncing down a road, and that mercedes drivers dont like driving.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

ROTFLMAO !!
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom