Do SL55 exhaust trims come off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cb1965

Banned
Car
N/A
My exhaust trims/tips are absolutely filthy. Does anyone know if they come off or are they fixed permanently to the rear boxes?

If I could get them off them I can give them a proper clean and renovation with Autosol etc.

I had a qucik look underneath but it is not obvious if they detach or not.

My exhaust trims/tips are absolutely filthy. Does anyone know if they come off or are they fixed permanently to the rear boxes?

If I could get them off them I can give them a proper clean and renovation with Autosol etc.

I suspect they are spot welded on.

They are not removable, but they are stainless. I tried all sorts on mine with mixed results (none perfect) - then I tried grade "0000" steel wool. It's fine enough to be used on polished furniture so won't scratch. A bit of that with some soapy water brings them up like new with minimal effort (even inside the oval ends). You can buy it in any good hardware shop.

I gave mine a going over with a couple of grades of sandpaper and then went over them with Autosol.

I spent about 1.5 hours on each tailpipe :)crazy:) with the 2 grades of sandpaper to get them cleaned up and smooth and then repeatedly polished them for the following week or so to get them finished off and shiney.

Some say that sandpaper is not the best thing to use so you may want to use steel wool or equivalent as suggested above.

:thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, yes I too think they are spot welded on. OK grade 0000 steel wool it is! Such a useful site this, thanks :D

Cheers and yes I will do :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom