Do the Michelin PS2...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Tyres give a performance / wear premium that makes spending another £60 a corner worthwhile?

I can buy Falken 452 for say, £91 fitted. The same guy will fit Michelin PS2 for £150 a corner.

Given that I don't speed, but like to corner enthusiastically, is the Michelin going to perform that much better than the Falken?

I got a full set of PS2's for about £420 IIRC from costco.

Not sure on wear rates but would expect them to be better in wet/dry than Falkens - but people do rate the falks. Just like Toyo Proxies on subarus - some tyres work better on some cars I guess.

I have a lot of time for vredesteins also.

I tried Hankook ventus and they were crap!

Falken 452's are a good tyre and I can't tell the difference between them and premium tyres, other than the bill. But I don't do corners at speed very often.

Thanks Gents,

My head says Falken 452 but my heart says Michelin PS2.

I just want to justify the extra spend :(

But I don't think it will happen...

I went for Falkens from mytyres.co.uk -- £88.60 fitted each for 245/45 17.

Michelin PS2 were at least £160, and about £140 at costco (with the current 20% discount if you have voucher).

Michelin PS2, for me, too expensive for a 13 year old 210 estate with 150hp.

C240Sport97...

All you are doing is telling me that my rational side is correct. :rolleyes:

I want a substantial reason to buy the Michelin tyres ;)

Maybe the Michelins will give you longer tyre life? Out of all the tyres I've driven on personal/company vehicles, Michelins seem to give very good wear rates - even compared with other decent makes.

So I suppose some of the extra cost is justified in that respect. I think Falkens are probably great tyres for the money, perhaps offering even similar performance in many respects, but I would imagine that most people given the choice at the same price would normally pick Michelin instead.

I'm very happy with the PS2s I fitted to my 208 CLK. Steering feels very precise, little road noise, dry/wet grip seems very good. In fact, they're better in very cold temperatures compared to say the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3s that I have fitted to other cars in the past.

As with most things, you pays your money and takes you choice :)

Will

I want a substantial reason to buy the Michelin tyres ;)

Just to provide some balance ..

I have Michelin PS2s on my Boxster .. 19".

Excellent tyre, and lasted 13k miles which is amazing. They are highly rated by Boxster and 911 owners.

BUT, they were £600 for two!

That's OK as the Boxster is fast and is meant for spirited driving.

Just to provide some balance ..

I have Michelin PS2s on my Boxster .. 19".

Excellent tyre, and lasted 13k miles which is amazing. They are highly rated by Boxster and 911 owners.

BUT, they were £600 for two!

That's OK as the Boxster is fast and is meant for spirited driving.

blimey - what size tyres for £300 each?

We have got Falken 452's 245 40 18 on our Audi A6 and find them very good over all. They also look better than most of the cheeper brands. I know it's not about the look of the tread patten but it does help!

The thing I find reassuring (not that they have been fitted yet) about Falkens is that they are made in Japan.

Bought two PS2 for the CLK yesterday. Previous fronts originals, covered 25k and were Michelin Pilot Primacy. Switched to PS2 as thats what I fitted to rear last time so all 4 corners now the same.
I paid £114 each fitted on a tyre size 225/40/17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom