Do these IT gits do it to annoy us older farts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
The lottery account on my Android needs me to reset the password, cos my finger 'aint my finger for finger print recognition, and I've tried to enter the password too many times, it says.

So a new something or other is sent to the associated email address.
That email needs a verification code before I can access it for the something or other, and sends it to another email.
That email then needs a new password cos the existing one has been used for too long, I think.

5 attempts at the a new password and it's told me to pee off enough times for me to want to reshape the pc with an axe. The 6th attempt of F*ckyou1 is too easy for some one else to recognise, it says.

Stuff it, 3 accounts that are beyond my control. I give up.
You can spend far too much of your life on these things already w/o some pr*ck thinking you need give them more of it.

Last edited:
I use Face ID and when my phone no longer recognises me because of my wrinkles I’ve decided it’s time to pack up with technology, which might be sooner than I think looking at my face 😱

The lottery account on my Android needs me to reset the password, cos my finger 'aint my finger for finger print recognition, and I've tried to enter the password too many times, it says.

So a new something or other is sent to the associated email address.
That email needs a verification code before I can access it for the something or other, and sends it to another email.
That email then needs a new password cos the existing one has been used for too long, I think.

5 attempts at the a new password and it's told me to pee off enough times for me to want to reshape the pc with an axe. The 6th attempt of F*ckyou1 is too easy for some one else to recognise, it says.

Stuff it, 3 accounts that are beyond my control. I give up.
You can spend far too much of your life on these things already w/o some pr*ck thinking you need give them more of it.
Had a bad day? 😀

It’s necessary to protect your personal details. Even if you’re happy not to have controls in place to try to stop a bad guy/girl resetting your password and accessing your personal information, you will be in the minority.

A valid email address and alternative contact method - and ability to access it - isn’t an unreasonable expectation.

Had a bad day? 😀

It’s necessary to protect your personal details. Even if you’re happy not to have controls in place to try to stop a bad guy/girl resetting your password and accessing your personal information, you will be in the minority.

A valid email address and alternative contact method - and ability to access it - isn’t an unreasonable expectation.

When I've an hour i'll explain another situation that frustrated me, due to it's ill thought out unnecessary measures to protect.

Then there is Auto Trader that invites you to set up an account, and runs you through measure after measure to access saved searches. It is actually easier to search as a guest each time. And they aren't protecting anything of value.

The sites that take on so much advertising that all too often you miss the link button desired as the page loads a bit more and the button moves.

These gits are inaccessible and don't have the consumer and a user friendly design at their heart.

Here's an oldie...:

Reactions: m80
"Is that Mr Blogs?"
"Yes who is this?"
"This is Super Bank, Before we can proceed I need to run you through our security."
"You rang me, I don't know who you are."

We've all been through that one.

"Sir you have made an online transfer."
"Yes I've just bought a car."
"Before we can authorise that payment we need to ensure that this is you and you want the payment to proceed."
"Yes it's me, and yes I do"
"We need to be sure you aren't being coerced, is there anyone with a gun to your head?"
"Well actually yes there is."
BANG.

The stupidity of the security often escapes those designing it,
I think there is a good reason for that.

There are 2 main facets at the root of this complication.

1) People treat operating a computer as an innate right, rather like possession of a driving licence, when in fact both should be a privilege of ability.
2) The expectation that it's someone else's responsibility to protect us from anything going wrong.

As a result you have to cater for the lowest denominators, at the inconvenience of the rest.

"Is that Mr Blogs?"
"Yes who is this?"
"This is Super Bank, Before we can proceed I need to run you through our security."
"You rang me, I don't know who you are."

We've all been through that one.

"Sir you have made an online transfer."
"Yes I've just bought a car."
"Before we can authorise that payment we need to ensure that this is you and you want the payment to proceed."
"Yes it's me, and yes I do"
"We need to be sure you aren't being coerced, is there anyone with a gun to your head?"
"Well actually yes there is."
BANG.

The stupidity of the security often escapes those designing it,
I think there is a good reason for that.
I suspect most incoming calls which ask for your details will be illegitimate. If it’s legitimate then they will absolutely expect you to say, thank you, I’ll call you back in a known number, eg the one on the back of your card. If they try to keep you talking then you know that their motives are not good.

I suspect most incoming calls which ask for your details will be illegitimate. If it’s legitimate then they will absolutely expect you to say, thank you, I’ll call you back in a known number, eg the one on the back of your card. If they try to keep you talking then you know that their motives are not good.

Great, until you think of the queue you go into, the press this, then that, and potentially get cut off.
And all so the gits can offer you life insurance.

The root here is that all apps and programmes are designed to act as primarily important, designed by abusive types that fail to see the aggro they cause.

We own our pc's, but not our software. Microsoft update yet again, and have bricked mine on occasion. And it must be my fault.
We see similar with Mercedes. They update, and those with the expensive cars, I don't have, end up disadvantaged.

The root here is that all apps and programmes are designed to act as primarily important, designed by abusive types that fail to see the aggro they cause.

Hanlon's razor - Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. As I commence my 3rd decade stuck between developer and end user, I can assure you it is very definitely the latter.

Great, until you think of the queue you go into, the press this, then that, and potentially get cut off.

We own our pc's, but not our software. Microsoft update yet again, and have bricked mine on occasion. And it must be my fault.
We see similar with Mercedes. They update, and those with the expensive cars, I don't have, end up disadvantaged.
How would you do it? I mean reset a password or enable a customer to find the right department or individual by phone?

As a developer for over 30 years I can safely say that I don't design or write anything to be 'primarily important' nor am I an 'abusive type'. Also pretty sure you own software that you pay for, including Windows - as much as the updates can be troublesome but it must be quite difficult to design software that has to work on a very large number of different brands and builds of computers.

There is an incredible amount of personal data out there these days, and developers have a responsibility to protect it, as well as make sure they don't get sued for data breaches. Admittedly sometimes regaining access after you forget your password can be a bit more clunky than you'd like but it's normally for a good reason. Would you rather be complaining about not being able to access your account or complaining that your data was stolen and now somebody else is using your identity?

The easiest solution here is a password app, where you can store all of your passwords and they are protected by one master password. Then you only ever have to remember one password :)

How would you do it? I mean reset a password or enable a customer to find the right department or individual by phone?

I ask you a relevant question.
Each dis organisation requires us to have email and password. Each email requires us to have an alternate email.

When you look at how many passwords we must protect and change, that is one for each body we deal with, it soon can be in the hundreds.
Each have their own criteria for password content. Then they require us to change often, to maintain security.

Each body being the only body of importance in their own perception means it is easy fore the user to manage that one password. But there are feasibly over a hundred of different passwords of varying requirements.
How do you suggest I manage all of those? How should I stay on top of the changes of passwords I must comply with?

My original situation should have been a simple task. Instead it became a half hour of wasted effort.
Each body are proud of what they do and have done, and I as the user should accept the increasing complexities that leave me in the wrong lane on the eternal roundabout.

Electronic devices continue to demand more and more of our time, I 'tried' to dump Faceache years ago because of it.

The easiest solution here is a password app, where you can store all of your passwords and they are protected by one master password. Then you only ever have to remember one password :)

Sounds great.
Is there a guarantee that I won't need something else next year as that isn't good enough any more?

I ask you a relevant question.
Each dis organisation requires us to have email and password. Each email requires us to have an alternate email.

When you look at how many passwords we must protect and change, that is one for each body we deal with, it soon can be in the hundreds.
Each have their own criteria for password content. Then they require us to change often, to maintain security.

Each body being the only body of importance in their own perception means it is easy fore the user to manage that one password. But there are feasibly over a hundred of different passwords of varying requirements.
How do you suggest I manage all of those? How should I stay on top of the changes of passwords I must comply with?

My original situation should have been a simple task. Instead it became a half hour of wasted effort.
Each body are proud of what they do and have done, and I as the user should accept the increasing complexities that leave me in the wrong lane on the eternal roundabout.

Electronic devices continue to demand more and more of our time, I 'tried' to dump Faceache years ago because of it.
You need one primary email address of your own, and in some cases you’ll need an alternative or recovery, which could be a mobile number or another email address.

It could be another secondary email address of your own or it could be the primary email address of a trusted person, such as a close family member.

You’re not the only one with many passwords most of us do. The abusive fits you refer to almost a certainty have many more than you, as they need them for their job too.

A password manager is the answer you’re looking for. It will generate super complex passwords which you couldn’t ever remember yourself. It will be a single key to unlock many doors.

You need to make sure though that the single password - the master key - is very complex though as once compromised the bad guy/girl can go anywhere in your online world.

As a developer for over 30 years I can safely say that I don't design or write anything to be 'primarily important' nor am I an 'abusive type'.

Sorry for my generalising.
But my pc updates and those shortcuts that I continually remove from my home screen re appear. The developer has assumed there is a right to reorganise my desktop.
More of my time is wasted restoring to my preferance.

It may sound petty, but along with pop ups such as Google news feeds links I don't want and continual reminders it gets annoying.
I know I can spend my time turning these things off and downloading another programme to stop stuff. But next update those superior to me change it all.

Sounds great.
Is there a guarantee that I won't need something else next year as that isn't good enough any more?
No guarantee but no reason to believe you would need to change for the foreseeable future. Just make sure that the password manager password is more complex than a complex thing, and make sure you have multi factor authentication set up, ie a code by text message.

Thanks for the suggestions,
I'll consider it later.

But for now it would seem my 'ead 'urts cos the world is needing a password to use it.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom