Do these wheel bolts look small?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classicmel

Car
Mercedes 190e
Hi, I've asked elsewhere and i'm still unsure but these wheel bolts look tiny in comparison some, the car is a 190E, I've had the wheels put on just using 4 of these bolts and they fit and operate like they should, for me, they just don't look right so I've been looking for the non shiny extended head bolts, can anyone please send me down the correct route.. I'd like 4 bolts and 1` locking on each wheel. I have yet tohave these refurbished.

190 Wheel nuts (1).JPG

Attachments

• 190 Wheel nuts (2).JPG
    190 Wheel nuts (2).JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 190 Wheel nuts (4).jpg
    190 Wheel nuts (4).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 2
The easiest and safest option would be a main dealer, how much can they be?
There is a reason why I asked for advice on here, no disrespect but the route of going ot my local main dealer at the moment is enough to put me off for life, besides, they're not always as helpful as they could be especially when they have a bogus returns policy. I was linked to one place elsewhere and some are a couple of hundred pounds for a set...

What size are the heads , 15mm /16mm ? Any bigger and you probably wouldn't get a socket down the hole to fit the wheels.

There is a reason why I asked for advice on here, no disrespect but the route of going ot my local main dealer at the moment is enough to put me off for life, besides, they're not always as helpful as they could be especially when they have a bogus returns policy. I was linked to one place elsewhere and some are a couple of hundred pounds for a set...
Oh, I thought there maybe a reason the most obvious answer hadn’t been considere.

See if they fit into the hub thread fully, then they'll be long enough if they do.

What size are the heads , 15mm /16mm ? Any bigger and you probably wouldn't get a socket down the hole to fit the wheels.
M12x1.5 thread size (40mm long) are what I've purchased to to check fitment.

Oh, I thought there maybe a reason the most obvious answer hadn’t been considere.
Sorry, i wasn't being rude, i had to purchase an item before after they had said which part i needed, it was ordered from Germany and took a few days or so to arrive, when it arrived it didn't fit but he stipulated there was no return on the item even though i purchased it over the phone...

M12x1.5 thread size (40mm long) are what I've purchased to to check fitment.
If the thread size is OK and the seat is correct 'cone or ball' and they have been made out of suitable steel to the right specifications use them. I will ask again, but in a different manner . What size socket fits them ?

If the thread size is OK and the seat is correct 'cone or ball' and they have been made out of suitable steel to the right specifications use them. I will ask again, but in a different manner . What size socket fits them ?

Total blush, I copied and pasted the size off the listing where I bought them from thinking M12 is the size.. A friend has laughed and said no, it's 17mm.!!

No , you are probably correct with a thread of 12 x1.5 mm .What I am alluding to is the size of the socket needed to tighten it up .

On this chart (which starts quite large at 10mm) shows a 'bog stock' 12mm thread needing a 19mm socket to tighten it up which is quite normal but if (for example) on your car the design of the wheels does not allow a sleeved socket to fit they may reduce the bolt head size to whatever will work making up any weakness by using better materials/manufacturing. So a 12 mm bolt may be fixed with a 16mm if even 15mm tool.

Many manufacturers do not stick to 'standard' bolt dimensions if they feel a need not to.

Pic below is of bolts for a smart 450 - from the Mercedes stable - and look similar but for length. They are M12 x 1.5mm and the heads take a 15mm socket.

1623676438012.png

What’s the issue with the bolts you have - are they just too shiny?

The correct bolts should be M12x1.5 and about 60mm in total length - 20mm thread, 20mm shank and 20mm for the ball seat and head. The depth of the hex head part can vary to cosmetically match the wheels (some are shallower than others) - likewise MB did extended head bolts with added shank on some models with deep wheels, but they were discontinued as they used to snap. But the threaded part and length from the end of the bolt to the ball seat is usually the same on most MB alloy wheel bolts for these wheels.

17mm hex is the standard size for these bolts, as per almost all MB of that era.

The original bolts would have had a finishing cap on them made of alloy/stainless steel that can be polished up.

MB don’t supply those bolts anymore. You’ll just get the standard steel bolts with a galvanised paint type finish - they usually begin to rust after a while.

Solution - paint the bolts you have with a dusting of the same paint that your wheels are in. Hammermite silver looks okay on bolts IMHO (that’s so long as the bolts fit okay?) - it’s only the head you will see.

Second option - get a set of used bolts from a breakers or elsewhere. If you get stuck, let me know and I’ll have a look what I have spare. The original bolts are best and you can polish the ends up if you like, or leave them as they are (usually a dull a bit after a few years use)

If you are unsure about the correct length, put the wheel bolt into the wheel are see how much thread protrudes through. You want to be careful on the rear that they don’t foul the handbrake mechanism :thumb:

There we go , Bellow has the answer , M12 would normally be a 19mm socket, which will not fit in the holes on your wheels. . 👍
Hard to be absolutely certain from the photo that the OP's take a 15mm socket - but definitely not a 19mm!
OP: start at 15mm and work your way up. 15 or 16mm is probable. (Or 17mm now I've read the above post!).

What’s the issue with the bolts you have - are they just too shiny?

The correct bolts should be M12x1.5 and about 60mm in total length - 20mm thread, 20mm shank and 20mm for the ball seat and head. The depth of the hex head part can vary to cosmetically match the wheels (some are shallower than others) - likewise MB did extended head bolts with added shank on some models with deep wheels, but they were discontinued as they used to snap. But the threaded part and length from the end of the bolt to the ball seat is usually the same on most MB alloy wheel bolts for these wheels.

17mm hex is the standard size for these bolts, as per almost all MB of that era.

The original bolts would have had a finishing cap on them made of alloy/stainless steel that can be polished up.

MB don’t supply those bolts anymore. You’ll just get the standard steel bolts with a galvanised paint type finish - they usually begin to rust after a while.

Solution - paint the bolts you have with a dusting of the same paint that your wheels are in. Hammermite silver looks okay on bolts IMHO (that’s so long as the bolts fit okay?) - it’s only the head you will see.

Second option - get a set of used bolts from a breakers or elsewhere. If you get stuck, let me know and I’ll have a look what I have spare. The original bolts are best and you can polish the ends up if you like, or leave them as they are (usually a dull a bit after a few years use)

If you are unsure about the correct length, put the wheel bolt into the wheel are see how much thread protrudes through. You want to be careful on the rear that they don’t foul the handbrake mechanism :thumb:

Hard to be absolutely certain from the photo that the OP's take a 15mm socket - but definitely not a 19mm!
OP: start at 15mm and work your way up. 15 or 16mm is probable. (Or 17mm now I've read the above post!).
Yes, too shiny and they look too small to me, I've seen some standar steel ones which look far better against even a refurbished alloy, if the wheels were shiny chrome then they'd be fine.

yes, i purchased the ones i have off the ebay just to check they'd actually fit and not go through and they do, so as per above, these bolts are M12x1.5 thread size (40mm long) and the head size is 17mm, i saw some with extended heads and i felt they'd come up better looking overall, i shall find the photos to show what I'm trying to achieve.

Have a look at alloywheelsdirect.net. They have various packs for most MB models. They are matt finish and very good quality. I bought a set more than 10 years ago and they are still as good as new with no corrosion.

Apparently I need a set of wheel nuts specifically for a 190E Sportline, they have the longer head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom