do u engage neutral at the lights? (auto box)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lewis82

Car
C220 CDI
Ive always put autos (the 2 ive driven, one jag one merc) into neutral at red lights. Occasionally when I put it back into drive it kinda jumps in am tries to lurch forward. Is it best to leave it in drive or does it sound like the start of gearbox issues?

Tia
Lewis

That jump is normal. It's the torque converter. Same thing that makes the car roll forwards when in D with no brakes applied. You should probably put your foot on the brake when putting it back into D though.

Personally I only go into neutral if it's flat (if it's a bit of a hill, then P) if it's dark and I'm going to dazzle the car behind with the brake lights. Other than that, I just keep my foot on the brake. Also helps if you're rear ended, you won't rear end the car in front of you.

I push the brake a bit firmer and it holds the brake on. As soon as you touch the accelerator it releases. Not sure if the brake lights are on when doing this.

I push the brake a bit firmer and it holds the brake on. As soon as you touch the accelerator it releases. Not sure if the brake lights are on when doing this.

They do stay on, I've checked when using the HOLD on mine. You can see the reflection of the high level brake light on the rear windscreen.

Funny that... I 'researched' it a while ago.

The 'professional' advice appears to be that an autobox should NOT be put into N when stopped at traffic lights. The correct procedure apparently is gear in D, foot on brake. The argument is that the torque convector's life will not be shortened by this - it is designed to hold the car while braked in gear - but the additional selector shifts will shorten the life of the gear selector. Or so they say on the Internet...

On a related note... some say that holding the brake at traffic lights will cause heat build-up between the pad and the disk at their contact area. Which can lead to all sort of issues with uneven discs. So the advice is to either not hold the car with the brake but shift it into N (in contradiction to the above), or to stop well ahead of the traffic lights, and then slowly creep froward from time to time by slightly releasing the brake and then applying the brake again, to ensure that no one area of the disc is allowed to heat up for too long.

But I did not encounter the argument about dazzling the driver behind you... to be honest I don't think this is an issue.

Personally - like most people I leave the car in D and hold it with the brake.

Last edited:
But I did not encounter the argument about dazzling the driver behind you... to be honest I don't think this is an issue.

It is an issue. Have you never been behind a car at the lights at night, who's brake lights are that bright you're squinting?

If the driver behind's face is lit up red, I'll probably come off the brake for their benefit, only at night, obviously.

I put it into neutral at night as I hate being behind someone with their foot on the brake dazzling me so I don't dazzle either. Rather considerate of me I think.

E280wilson said:

Your not very observant if you don't know your brake lights are on when in hold ???

Can't remember ever being dazzled by brake lights.... must be me.

If someone rear ends you and you are the lead car at the lights you have a very good chance of taking your foot off the brake while being rear ended and coasting through the intersection in front of you. I think this is why DD here teach you to slip it in neutral and pull on the hand brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom