Do we have a plumber/heating engineer in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLA180SPORT

Car
CLA 180
If so...

I have a heatrae sadia megaflo cl210 in my house. It appears to have one hot water outlet on the top that goes down into the floor boards with no valve.

I'm wanting to turn the hot water supply off so I can replace some taps in my kitchen. There doesn't appear to be any way of shutting it off, does this mean I have to drain the system?

Not familiar with your particular model, but if is an unvented cylinder, surely all you need to do is turn the cold feed to the tank off.
If there is a pressure vessel, this may force a little hot out when you then open a hot tap, but shouldn't drain the whole tank.

But then there will be a real expert along soon!

Piff said:
Not familiar with your particular model, but if is an unvented cylinder, surely all you need to do is turn the cold feed to the tank off. If there is a pressure vessel, this may force a little hot out when you then open a hot tap, but shouldn't drain the whole tank. But then there will be a real expert along soon!

I actually literally just tried before I read this and it worked. Thank you

:)

As said, any pressurised cylinder has the supply exhausted by turning off the stop tap.

How do you get on with your megaflow?

Dieselman said:
As said, any pressurised cylinder has the supply exhausted by turning off the stop tap. How do you get on with your megaflow?

It's been in the house since we bought it new. Never had any problems with it... well after the original plumbers came back and plumbed it in right that is. It does it's job well as far as I know.

It's been in the house since we bought it new. Never had any problems with it... well after the original plumbers came back and plumbed it in right that is. It does it's job well as far as I know.

Forgive me for asking but how was it plumbed in incorrectly?

Incidentally Heatrae don't manufacture megaflows (DM)

I had to have my central heating on in order to have hot water. They also employed plumbers who weren't LPG certified to install the LPG heating system etc.

Incidentally Heatrae don't manufacture megaflows (DM)

I know.

I'm not a huge fan of megaflow, or other stainless DHW cylinders as they don't kill bacteria like copper do and megaflow use that funny plastic baffle to create and air cushion.

It's a megaflo no megaflow, not sure if that makes a difference to it being manufactured by heatrea?

I know.

I'm not a huge fan of megaflow, or other stainless DHW cylinders as they don't kill bacteria like copper do and megaflow use that funny plastic baffle to create and air cushion.

You could look at Oso?
Im sure at the temperatures involved as many bugs are killed regardless of material
If you would like me to pose the question to either maker I'm happy to do so

If you would like me to pose the question to either maker I'm happy to do so

I already know. Copper kills everything at any temperature, stainless doesn't...and anything plastic causes breeding...

Another advantage of copper is that the cylinders won't crack when it heat cycles with very hot water.

Sorry being technical as im in the business of selling plumbing materials.
My post was a leading question to DM

Megaflow is a brand name used by Heatrae Sadia
The cylinders are manufactured for them

I already know. Copper kills everything at any temperature, stainless doesn't...and anything plastic causes breeding...

Another advantage of copper is that the cylinders won't crack when it heat cycles with very hot water.

I don't know this but I will ask
Would it be the same for a cylinder that has been used?
Verdigris maybe a breeding ground for bacteria?
Again I don't know but with the current climate for research into leigonella I would be interested to know?
So DM be gentle x

Verdigris makes no difference as it is still an oxide of copper.

A copper coin in a pan of dirty water kills all bacteria in 24 hrs. For this reason copper is a banned product for boat anti-fouling paint.

My interest is for DHW heated by solar. With copper it's not so important to heat to 50+c and the cylinders can stand 90c regularly without cracking.

Thank you
So would a copper thermal store be the answer?

Thank you
So would a copper thermal store be the answer?

Ho..Hum...maybe...

Thermal stores need water to be stored at 80c to be effective as the coil loses 10+c.

My own cylinder is gravity with 2.5m head and showers designed for 1m head fed off 22mm pipe. They deliver 10L per minute, which is fine for me.

Ho..Hum...maybe...

Thermal stores need water to be stored at 80c to be effective as the coil loses 10+c.

My own cylinder is gravity with 2.5m head and showers designed for 1m head fed off 22mm pipe. They deliver 10L per minute, which is fine for me.

I don't need to tell you but I bet you will be aware that the current UK climate will not achieve your desired minimum temperature :) but us mb drivers are working on it!

So in fear of asking if your happy with what youve got! what's your problem? Or desire?

I don't need to tell you but I bet you will be aware that the current UK climate will not achieve your desired minimum temperature :) but us mb drivers are working on it!

So in fear of asking if your happy with what youve got! what's your problem? Or desire?

??? :dk:

Back to temps. sure in Winter one won't see 55c cylinder temp off solar, but Spring to Autumn it's not a problem.
I have seen 92c for a full 200L cylinder, in high summer...

Sorry but again without shaking smiles
Do you have a problem with the system you have or is there something you wish to improve?
Not trying to be an **** and!
You're not stupid!
Is there anything about your current setup that niggles you?

Sorry but again without shaking smiles
Do you have a problem with the system you have or is there something you wish to improve?
Not trying to be an **** and!
You're not stupid!
Is there anything about your current setup that niggles you?

Me. No, I'm happy with my setup, it was just information in conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom