do wife's mess up our cars on purpose?!?!?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulmb

Car
1999 C200 Sport, 2004 C230 Kompressor
could'nt believe it yesterday......

got home and my wife told me that she hit the front bumber against a wall in a car park!:mad:

had a look at the damage.............front drivers side corner.....................scratched so much that the paint has come off and you can see the white.........:( :( :(

did'nt have a go at her because my 12 week old boy was crying for his feed................bit my tongue and said:mad: ...."don't worry, its only a car"........

so she felt better and fed the little one...

so, guys, how can i touch in the local scratches temporarily until i fit my folding mirrors.....will get the bumper and both wings sprayed at the same time.......

do i need to rub it down, prime and spray it?...the colour is obsidian black....:confused:

paul

Well done for not shouting at her... :)

Good thing is that the bumper is plastic so no need to worry about rust getting to it.

I personally would not bother touching up the scratches as a short term fix and when finances permit yourself just get bodyshop to do the repairs.

Last edited:
that could be another year or so yet.............the scrathes stick out like a saw thumb!!!!!!!!!!:( .......can see them a mile away.............

is there nothing that can be done?:confused:

by the way, gave my wife credit where it's due.....she hasn't kerbed any of my alloys..................yet!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'd just use a touch-up kit, get a fine brush from an artists supply shop (or model shop) though. As already mentioned, it's plastic so you're really just looking to fill in the scratches (hide the primer etc.) until you get a full repair.

Rubbing down the whole area and DIY spraying would probably look worse. If you can, post a pic. of the damage.

just spent time and money getting the car looking sweet........oh well, i'll post the pics and see is you guys can help........:(

paulmb said:
did'nt have a go at her because my 12 week old boy was crying for his feed................bit my tongue and said:mad: ...."don't worry, its only a car"........

so she felt better and fed the little one...
Probably safest. I once got upset at the wife for scratching the car...less than five minutes later it had somehow become my fault, I was on my knees apologising, and she was screaming about how we can't afford to fix the damn car right now.

-simon

I would take it a little easier on your wife to be honest, I know its annoying and something you could do without but its just one of those things, it happens, you will ding a car yourself someday too.

Anywho, as for what to do, depends on your level of experience to be honest, personally I would buy paint, flatten prime and spray the bumper, but then again I have painted cars before and have access to a full spray booth in work.

For a quick DIY fix I would buy a mixed aerosol and the clear laquer and do a blow in of that side of the bumper, done right it will look a thousand times better than a touch up brush job, that said done wrong it will look crap.

Option 3 is the brush in touch up, it'll cover the primer but still stand out.

Option 4 leave it as is and wait till you can afford to get it done professionally.

Personally speaking if I was not confident in fixing it myself I would not bother doing a temporary job, as it would always annoy me as much as the scratch untill I got it fixed.

thanks mate....i can't afford it at the moment either................the little one is costing me enough as it is.....thought the wife was expensive!!!!!!!!

fuzzer said:
how about a premanent pen ?
Not as silly as it might sound! My black leather interior has been beautified many times by the light touch of a permanent marker pen, and I know R2D2's old W202 has the stonechips on the bonnet penned in black too ;)

Universal solution to this one...the wife isn't insured on my car!

I've not bothered to put her on the insurance for the W202 as I've never got round to it, and she's not confident driving autoboxes.

In the case of it's potential replacement, we simply can't afford to insure her on it!

i like that dolphin tech.............p*ssed ,myself laughing:D :D :D

I've said in another thread - my car is mine, her car is ours.

thats good graham........btw, the exhaust is on.....looks sweet and sound good too.

i'll post some pics up for you..............

GrahamC230K said:
I've said in another thread - my car is mine, her car is ours.

Excellent! :)

I bought the C320 for my wife (honest!) as she wanted a bigger car than the A Class! Although she drives it more, she say's it's my car! Either way it still doesn't stop the pain when you see curbed alloys...

Last edited:
A-AvantGarde said:
Excellent! :)

Either way it still doesn't stop the pain when you see curbed alloys...

I was actually pleased the car only had 15" alloys - I'm hoping the massive sidewalls will help keep damage to a minimum!

paulmb said:
thats good graham........btw, the exhaust is on.....looks sweet and sound good too.

i'll post some pics up for you..............

Please do. Don't let the scrape get you down, touch it in so you can't see the primer/plastic and it won't be half so bad in my experience.

Get the pics up I bet it looks great.

you're kidding, right??!?!?!?!?!?!?

anyway guys, quality entertainment..........so, whats the deal with the scratches?!?!?!?!?!

thanks graham....don't worry, pics coming soon............:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

i'll try and touch it in................thanks to everyone.......

paulmb said:
you're kidding, right??!?!?!?!?!?!?

anyway guys, quality entertainment..........so, whats the deal with the scratches?!?!?!?!?!

Best thing to try is get a can of spray paint from Mercedes, but don't spray it on. Spray some paint into a plastic cup (or the cap of the spray can!) and use a fine artists brush to touch up the scratches. The paint in the touch up pen sticks is much too thick as are the brushes.

This technique works pretty well, other than that Halfords have some decent touch up kits, they have one with a metallic pen nib. Usually come in a pack with two / three pens, primer, paint & lacquer, it also comes with some mild abbrasive to smooth any imperfections - could be worth a try?

Can I join the club.
Today whilst the wife was out shopping and the car was parked, some lovely person hit the back. Smashing one rear lamp and denting the boot lid. Must have been a van as the bumper is ok.No note left of course.
Kept my cool as the wife is really upset.
Motorists I love them.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom