Do you ask for discount?

So do you ask for a discount?

• No, never. I'm embarrassed even thinking about it.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Only on expensive stuff. Well it's the done thing isn't it?

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Yeah, if I think I can get away with it. I can always pretend to be joking.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I'm a would-be Delboy. I haggle in Tescos for goodness sake.

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I'm not talking about buying cars, shopping around for service prices, or getting insurance quotes. Just every day "boring" stuff.

What every day items have you managed to get a discount on, for no reason other than just asking for it?

I'll start the ball rolling...

I do like a deal. ;)

Today, I was about to buy a Big Race chocolate bar from a Shell station when I noticed they were 14p cheaper than the only other place I know that sells them. Mrs D is rather fond of them but as they were a promotional thing they're very thin on the ground now. They had eight on the shelf, so I popped 'em all on the counter and asked the chap behind the counter if he could do me a deal for eight. Sadly he said "No"...

...but went on to say "But I can do your coffee for 50p instead of £1.30".

Today, I also bought one of the MB seat tidy thingies to match the MB child seats. Already got one but thought another would be nice. Spotted one ebay: Buy it Now was £19.99, so I offered £10. Accepted!! Not counting that though as the option was there to make an offer.

I do like a deal +1 :)

My theory " you don't ask you don't get" they an only say no and if they do you are no worse off if they do. My best discount £11k on a pre registered Volvo T5:bannana:

On of the main areas I find myself having to haggle is with monthly bills. Often times I will haggle for hours on end with some of these companies. In the end if I don’t feel I have been treated right I move on. I am trying to train the wife how to do this so I am not wasting time, but I do enjoy a good haggle.

Saving money is saving money… The more you save the better you feel! :thumb:

Nothing wrong with asking for a discount in the right circumstances (if that can be judged correctly).

However, I once asked a rather rude (it was the manner in which he asked) discount-hunter who requested 20% off our price, if he would be prepared to work for his wage minus that rate upon request. After a silence of 30 seconds he asked "Well, can you do anything?"

The deal was done for -5%. Job spot-on and everyone happy. :)

My theory " you don't ask you don't get"

My Mum always told me "it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil".

Given half a chance I'll try and get a price down, it's my duty as a Yorkshireman.;)

I wouldn't ask for discount on a chocolate bar or clothes or things like that. I do however on most other things as I usually state that I am 'trade' being a business owner and expect to get trade rates.

I embarrass Mrs Toad all the time , haggling over stuff when we are out.

I think you should haggle if you feel confident. In some cultures haggling is the norm, why shouldnt you try and get a good deal for yourself?

I will haggle on anything car related (big stuff), total respect for haggling on chocolate bars :) think I would need a few pints before attempting that one!!

I think you should haggle if you feel confident. In some cultures haggling is the norm, why shouldnt you try and get a good deal for yourself?

I had three months out in the desert in Morocco , and i grew to love haggling out there !

There's two prices to everything;
1. What the seller wants
2. What he's prepared to accept.

Often, sellers make a big cut on folks who pay up the asking price without a murmur... but I have found them equally happy to sell for a big discount, if you ask in the correct manner.

... This has worked on cars, tellys, houses, etc etc :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom