Do you believe in time travel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"In general, one may conclude that pyramidal objects located on a substrate and supporting multipole resonances can significantly suppress the reflection of incident electromagnetic waves. In the earth conditions, this could be used for controlling the radio-wave propagation and reflection".
This could significantly effect mobile phone technology allowing improved reception over vast distances. Already prototypes have been built capable of intergalactic communication. The first messages are coming from Alpha Centauri as we speak and have been routed thro the latest Cray supercomputer array to decrypt/translate them. Of course these messages have taken eons of time to get here from an intellectually superior race so care may be needed in interpreting them
Message reads:-
Have you or a close family member recently been in a space vehicle which was involved in a collision which was not your fault-----------? :confused:

Consciousness travels faster than the speed of light...

I can get that - because it has no mass.

But doesn't zero mass = speed of light, not > speed of light. :dk:

I once had an email exchange with NdGT after reading one of his many books. In it he explained that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light which had layman here asking why. He couldn't be bothered to answer, so instead put me in touch with his PhD assistant. Who explained that the speed of light is a constant.

I'm still none the wiser.

The reason it was originally tought that the speed of light is the highest speed possible is that Einstein's formula shows that an object's mass increases exponentially in relation to speed, and at the speed of light the mass (according to the formula) will be infinite... and infinite mass needs infinite force to propel it etc.

But once our understanding of 'mass' became more complex due to discovery of new particles and the inter-relationship between matter and energy, it opened the door to new theories regarding travel speeds higher than the speed of light.

The concept is that if you have mass it will increase to infinity at the speed of light. If you have no mass to start with this effect does not happen.

Yes the speed of light is a constant [it does not change in the universe] as far as we know, but it doesn't travel in straight lines, it may be bent by space time and mass i.e. gravity.

Incidentally see here at 1:15:57 so important is this constant that those who designed Khufu encoded it the structure in two separate places, here is one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I once had an email exchange with NdGT after reading one of his many books. In it he explained that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light which had layman here asking why. He couldn't be bothered to answer, so instead put me in touch with his PhD assistant. Who explained that the speed of light is a constant.

I don't know the answer, but speed is always relative to a point of reference, e.g. the Twins Paradox:

Twin paradox - Wikipedia

So what's stopping two galaxies from moving at the speed of light in opposite directions, thus having a relative speed (to each other) of double the speed of light?

I.e. if you were standing on one galaxy on one side of the universe then you would see the galaxies on the opposite side of the universe as moving further away from you, while traveling at twice the speed of light in relation to your own position.

Very good. So here's the [first] answer [that comes to mind]. Relative [think theory of relativity] to earth's center, the speed of light is measured as 299 792 458 m / s, and according to the Twin Paradox this may change depending where you view it in the universe. So not only is the diameter of earth across the poles, the circumference at the equator, the speed of rotation and the position of the poles important and included in earth's Milestone/ID Plate [Khufu], so is the speed of light as it is observed on earth. Fascinating thing is that pile of rocks. It also shows where the center of the earth's land mass is and a whole bunch of other physical stuff unique to this planet only [the length of the great year and so on] - if only you know how to read it.

Oh yes, it also marks the exact equinox/s as well. Now how the heck does it do all that and generate electricity? I like rocks! :):)

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but speed is always relative to a point of reference, so what's stopping two galaxies from moving at the speed of light in opposite direction, thus having a relative speed (to each other) of double the speed of light? I.e. if you were standing on one galaxy on one side of the universe then you would see the glaxies on the opposite sides of the universe ad traveling at twice the speed of light in telation to your own position.

In the same vane, there's also the Twins Paradox:

Twin paradox - Wikipedia

Got my old brain ticking now MJ. The converging/diverging bodies thing fascinated me as a kid. Physics teacher said not to ask such stupid questions. And often wondered what would happen to an object caught in both galaxies at the same time. A very long pole for example. 2c = (m/2) ² ? Doubly negative mass?

Re twins paradox. I find it fascinating also that our head ages faster than our feet when we are standing. And clock on tip of Everest would tick faster than one at its base. And that trapeze artists experience sinusoidal time lapse behaviour. What's that BBC prog called where you have to call out the fake answer? :)

Just so you know he ain't no drug taking nutter!

And here @ 11:45 how mushrooms are used to redesign the Japanese subway system to be far more efficient. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it boys! :):)

Last edited:
And so we end up all humming the tune “I am my own Grandpa” :)

... but not necessarily on this plane of existence :wallbash:

The Catholic Church have a whole division dedicated to this by the way.

If
Another reason why I think we should all be thankful the time travel in the physical sense doe6not exist, is immunity to bacteria and viruses.

We all know what happened when Europeans started discovering the world... and this was simply by removing the sea/ocean barrier.

If we also move the time barrier we will be carrying bacteria and viruses back and forth in time, totally demolishing a million years of evolution that worked to protect us.

Of course this could lead to a string of mass epidemics that will see the few survivors become immune to all and any bateria or virus that have ever existed in the history of mankind... humanity rebooted.

(That is, if bringing a new virus to the middle ages causing a pandemic that didn't exist in the version of the history of the world as we know it now won't f***-up everythibg anyway......)
If time travel for all were perfected on Monday the world would end on Tuesday.

'The only thing constant is change'

This is good for an understanding too...

TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space, as first coined by my uncle Tony) is a nice idea...but we all know it isn't possible. If it was...someone would have come back and told us...but they haven't.

So, it stays in the wild imaginations of fiction writers as a useful and interesting tool.

TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space, as first coined by my uncle Tony) is a nice idea...but we all know it isn't possible. If it was...someone would have come back and told us...but they haven't.

So, it stays in the wild imaginations of fiction writers as a useful and interesting tool.

How do you know? They may have come back and returned to the future, you wouldn't know that, as you haven't seen it yet!:rolleyes:

Come back from the future... or come forward from the past. Yet we haven't seen anyone yet with credible claim (independently verified etc) i.e. where metal illness can be dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom