Do you get ‘use’ to the power?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can’t see the problem. Just keep adding power or reduce weight.

And no, I’m not addicted - I am the power.

1531614792354.png

PS. Somewhere behind Acid and Cyclone in my quest ;-)

I think like others have inferred it depends what else you drive and how long you have had your car. I've not had mine long, but it is amazing every time I drive it. But I think it helps that I only use it at weekends, and I'm commuting on a bicycle in the week, so as a speed comparison its quite something!

Also when researching before buying mine, I read a lot of articles of W211 E55 vs E63, and a lot of people said that an E55 (even standard) *feels* a lot faster than the E63, even though in reality (standard) it is not. All down to that supercharged power delivery. Similar thing the other day - I was driving a V6 Supercharged full size Range Rover back to back to a V6 Turbo Diesel Jag XF - the Range Rover seemed hilariously fast, whereas in reality the XF is quicker in every situation.

Had the E63 6.2 out this morning got it up to oil temp then switched it into S+ mode. It really does shift, as said the 55k is so called faster than the 6.3 lump but I don't feel it at all. When the road opens up the 6.2 can really let off some steam. The Exhaust noise makes you smile also.

I'm thinking in to the new year of having some headers fitted. I may treat the car to release some more V8 monster noise :rock:

There's relaxed power and tweaker power. Mercedes Benz does a good job of relaxed power. Its always there when you need it but you don't need to think about it.

My E39 M5 was more like tweaker power. Exciting to drive and always pushing you to push it harder. But only good for shortish trips as the sensory overload would wear me out.

My Audi has Drive Select which with "dynamic" selected makes the car feel like it's just had a remap! The car spends most of it's time in either "comfort" or "auto" mode. This helps to keep my interest in the car and stops me becoming complacent to the available power when I want it.

All good points. With regard to the never ending e55 v 63 debate. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the accesbility of the torque on the 55. Would fellow 63 owners agree while it’s not slow below 4000rpm it needs to be kept above this rpm to get the best from it. Although I’ve not driven a 55 from what I’ve read it makes it’s torque from a lot lower value.

^ You've described the power deliver of both cars perfectly.
The torque from the 55 engine is instant. The E63 n/a comes on song at far higher revs.

When we use my wife's car (most of the time) she drives. So, when I drive my car, I always enjoy the 367hp... and it is plenty for me - 0-60 in 4.9 is good enough!

However when we consider that the Lambo Muria is considered the first super car .....400hp ....how times have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my E63 for a year now & I am no way bored of the power yet....it's perfect, big, fast & comfortable - I also run a phase 1 Clio 172 that I use on week on week off basis & this keeps the AMG feeling fresh - with so much power on tap overtaking is a blast where as in the Clio you need to plan ahead & work the little 2ltr 16v to get the most out of it...
Until today it was AMG week, but it's now cleaned & resting for a week or so as it's Clio from tomorrow..this I might say keeps the mileage down on the big V8 which is a bonus..
My last brace of cars were an E46 M3 & an old E270cdi so i'm well used to running two or more cars..always have done...

I always find if I become a passenger I realise even more how quick my car is.

I’ve only had my w204 c63 since February and it still feels pretty quick but sometimes I get the feeling it’s not as quick as I think as there’s a lot of 1.6 / 2.0’s that are pretty damn quick these days. One day I’ll pick the wrong golf and it’ll wipe the floor with the c63 :(

Get yourself a superbike, most cars are a bit meh after riding 1000cc rocket.
BMW RR or a Aprillai would be my “affordable” choice, MV Augusta would be the one I kept in my living room just to stare at and dribble over.

I’m still impressed with how quick my C63 can shift 2 tonnes of metal though.
Plenty fast enough for me these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't use a 100bhp car these days never mind a 300+ bhp car :wallbash:

The trick is to buy a slow car as a daily then whenever you get back in your AMG it feels fast as fook again...
It’s why I have the 2.0 tdi Golf and the fact that it is actually the best car in the real world.

I only drive mine at weekends so the 380-odd bhp is always a pleasant surprise especially if I start using the paddles to hold on to gears.

Yes, you do get used to lots of power, but you can get used to not having it as well. Just think peaceful thoughts...

One day I’ll pick the wrong golf and it’ll wipe the floor with the c63 :(

But ultimately they’ll still be in a Golf!! Haha

There’s nothing wrong with a Golf (prefer GTI over R myself) but it’s still a turbo four cylinder engine (R32 excepted). Hardly an event to drive.

I know they there’s cars out there that would pit drag my CLS63, some of which are electric. Fair play but there’s something very satisfying about a big V8 making plenty of power and a nice noise, that’s far more special.

I think you get used to the power up to a point. With the cars I’ve had over the past few years then 500bhp in a Merc (CLS/E size), isn’t enough. I’m used to driving them and whilst the power is immense then unless it’s wet or icy, I find I get used to it quickly.

A remapped M157 or similar pushing 650bhp plus, or a pulley changed M113k pushing around 600bhp are a different proposition. I’d say I got used to being able to drive the car within its limits, but not sure I ever got used to the full power, as on occasion I’d get caught out and receive a real wake up call.

Now with 900bhp I can honestly say I haven’t got used to the power. I have got used to driving the car within its limits, but in damp weather or worse it is difficult to control the power. Even in the dry it can be a handful, but when it hooks up it’s Immense, spine tingling, adrenaline pumping and ultimately right up there on the edge of car motoring thrill seeking perfection, especially when you add in the noise.

Everybody is different so it’s a great question of the OP to add. I’m currently driving a 15 year old 200bhp Lexus RX300 and it’s absolute bliss. Yes I am used to the power haha, and whilst the beast sleeps it’ll take pride of place in the garage.

Jules

I find the 500hp w212 I drive to be well and truly fast enough I don't track my cars and never wish to. As others have said above there is something about a V8 regardless of what power it's puting out.
I drive a 125 hp transit day in and out so when I do get in the 63 6.2 at weekends and during the week occasionally it feels a joy. 200 300 400+ the V8 is just a pleasure to own/drive.

Yes its happened to every car I have had including this one (cls55) Even my old 993 turbo seemed a bit pedestrian after a few months. You just get used to it so it stops surprising you. Forced induction helps as you can get a new fix from a remap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom