Do you have the same pride in your Lease car as you have in the one you own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
This got me thinking this morning. I have four vans which are owned (not leased) by me and my brother's company. The vans are looked after, serviced etc and generally taken care of however I have no affinity to them whatsoever whereas I love my personal car which is owned outright and see it in a totally different light.

So I was thinking whether or not those of you with a lease car have the same affection to it as you would if you owned it.
As an example I know lease cars have to be returned in a reasonable state but if you had a scratch after say a year of ownership would you have it sorted straight away (like I would) or wait nearer the time of the lease running out

Without a doubt, I treat my MB, my first lease car, exactly as I've treated my cars in the past. It's officially leased in the name of my (own)company, but that makes no difference either. I just hate driving a dirty car, or one with any scratches or scuffs on it.

I think the fact that I think of it as "my" car answers the question.

In my MG Rover days, we had 3 management cars (though I only took up two) and they were replaced every year (or so).

I treated every one as my own, and returned them immaculate, looking forward to the next one.

I can't think of any reason why anyone should wish to abuse a lease car. There are financial consequences for any visible abuse and misuse.

I can't think of any reason why anyone should wish to abuse a lease car. There are financial consequences for any visible abuse and misuse.

I'm not talking about abuse rather whether people see their car as a workhorse or a treasured possession

Look after ours in the same way as if owned.
Had company cars in the past and treated them the same.
Comes down to a bit of pride!

My one and only leased car was a workhorse, nothing more or less. Unlike my W124s that followed it I did nothing to it except drive it and repair it to return it.

I treat lease cars as my own, mainly because I'm paying for them and I generally look after everything anyway, if I'm paying for it or not. I can't understand the mentality of those that abuse things just because something isn't theirs.

No different to the cars I have (and do still) own. I enjoy my lease car and I have the same pride in it. :)

Treat it as my own.

Same for rental cars.

I've always looked after mine and the dealer knows it as they have happily taken them and sold them on their own forecourt

No. The golf is a tool to be used (not abused mind). The coupe is a different matter:rolleyes:

Treat my company car as mine and love it, just the same as cars I have bought: because I have no plan to keep them for ever, purchased or leased, and eventually any marks / scuffs / misuse will hit me financially whatever

Indeed. Leasing could just be regarded as one of many financial model options to "possess" a vehicle.

A more telling question might be "do people do things to cars they only intend possessing for 2 or 3 years, passing them on with hidden issues for subsequent owners"? Undeclared mods might compromise longevity or safety, are they any more prevalent on leased vehicles than those bought outright from new?

Oh and BTW we have one bought outright and one on Agility PCP- the latter is more cherished, probably because the other one is mine (and not from new).

Last edited:
I think I know what the OP means

When I had a company car it never felt like "mine"

Kept them all nice and clean and all that, but not with the sense of ownership.

It's like books. Library books are fine but there is no substitute for owning your own copy of a good book.

My lease car is just a cheap work horse. I like taking pictures of it because it looks great but it's still a work horse and I know I will get rid off it soon. I keep it in good shape but there's no emotional attachment.

I can't wait getting a new car next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom