Do you indicate on roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leef44

Car
SLK 55 AMG, Suzuki Vitara
One thing that really annoys the hell out of me, when someone indicates left or right when they are going straight on at a smallish roundabout where you have full sight of each exit. That is the roundabout is small enough that you can see all the cars entering the roundabout.

Some indicate right to signal that they are not taking the first exit (left exit). Some signal left just as they approach the first exit to let you know they are taking the next exit which is straight on. For Christ sake there's no need to indicate so other drivers won't get confused.

The worst case I've seen is where a driver gets past the first exit (left exit) then indicates left but they are turning right.

Are you one of those drivers? If so, stop doing that! Just go straight on with no left or right signal.

It's Saturday night, why not go for a beer or something?

I'm indicating while drinking a beer ;-)

Leefy I do a bit of LGV part time work and also drive Airfield Rescue Trucks for a living and there is one thing that does ma heed in is improper and the lack of proper indication on approach and exiting a roundabout and it doesn't matter what size it is. When under blues approaching a roundabout i really do want to know other road users intentions helping me to make maximum progress safely and with out looking it up in the Highway Code I'm almost sure you must indicate your intensions when entering and exiting all roundabouts...

SMEESH...:doh:

Last edited:
Going left, indicate left.

Going right indicate right, until you pass the exit before yours, and then indicate left to show you are taking the next exit.

Straight on is no indication, but then indicate left after you pass the exit before yours to show you are taking the next exit.

If everyone did that it would flow better.

I will get a beer in a few seconds,but driving instructors have been teaching people for at least 10 years that you do not have to indicate if nobodies there,of course when you tell a human being they do not have to do something every time they tend not to indicate at all,but the weird thing is if there is a accident a witness will say that car did not indicate,so it is best to indicate,when you pass a car indicate even if there is no car behind you it least let the vehicle in front know what you are doing,but I fear it is a dying art.

Indicators should be used at all roundabouts, if only the courtesy left hand turn one to let others know which exit you are taking. Only indicate right if your exit is past the 12 o'clock position.

The correct procedure is explained here Appendix to The Highway Code | nidirect

Drivers failing to use indicators to signal their intentions are one of my pet hates. My crystal ball broke a long time ago.

I'll get the popcorn...

Last edited:
Only indicate if it will benefit another road user...

I was always taught to indicate no matter what, what if someone (eg, a pedestrian) is waiting and you havent seen them?

We all like to think we see everything, but often this isnt the case.

Yes I should get a beer and maybe popcorn too. ;)

Isn't the Highway code out of date then. Was it written before mini-roundabouts were invented? Surely if you are going straight on you wouldn't indicate right for a split second then indicate left to signal that you are going straight on. What's the point but to cause confusion.

And what about those painted min-roundabouts on the road where you literally drive straight over because it would be too narrow to drive round hence they are painted?:crazy:

Aaargghhhh:doh:

One thing that really annoys the hell out of me, when someone indicates left or right when they are going straight on at a smallish roundabout where you have full sight of each exit. That is the roundabout is small enough that you can see all the cars entering the roundabout.

How do you know they are going straight on?

I remember getting into an argument with a French bloke in a car while I was going straight on when I was on my bike.

He didnt indicate and nearly drove into me, he claimed you didnt need to indicate while on the roundabout, only when you were coming off it.

Isn't the Highway code out of date then. Was it written before mini-roundabouts were invented? Surely if you are going straight on you wouldn't indicate right for a split second then indicate left to signal that you are going straight on. What's the point but to cause confusion.

No, but indicate on exit.

I indicate on every roundabout and have told the wife to do the same regardless (she is a new driver). Apart from being the correct procedure, there are so many people that don't bother and that cut lanes that if there was ever an incident, at least you would be showing the correct lights/indication.

It really does annoy me, especially on a roundabout near to me which is small and quite busy most of the day. The second lane can be used to turn right or turn left but keeping in the right hand lane. It gets queues because most turning left do not indicate and so drivers waiting to come onto the roundabout just sit there and wait for nothing. It is difficult to predict from the car's position if it is going left or right as it is in the same lane. This causes a lot of traffic at times and is annoying because it's only due to drivers who cannot be bothered to indicate and keep the traffic flowing.

People coming from the inside lane, across lane 2 and into lane 3 before exiting in lane 1 again, oblivious to the fact they have cut everyone up, are the ones that really annoy me.

And those that indicate left to let you know they are taking the left exit after the two they are passing on the way to it!!!

Going left, indicate left.

Going right indicate right, until you pass the exit before yours, and then indicate left to show you are taking the next exit.

Straight on is no indication, but then indicate left after you pass the exit before yours to show you are taking the next exit.

If everyone did that it would flow better.

I have nothing to add to this post because...it is spot on.

OP If you read the Highway Code you will see the above explanation.

Last edited:
On my recent IAM test the examiner, during his feedback, told me that towards the end of the test I'd begun to indicate where it wasn't necessary - namely where there was no-one to indicate to.

I also indicate as I pass the exit before the one I intend to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom