Do you indicate on roundabout?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cb1965 you can bet he will be back soon, just like a dose of hemaroids , with a smilie which he thinks makes it all okay to be a ! ;)

Last edited:
That's not what it's about at all.

Apart from some RAs being high speed it is to do with keeping traffic moving quickly & safely.

If you signal your intention to turn off a RA before crossing the path of another car that car can then proceed safely on it's way. If it knows you are going across it's path it can wait, plan it's next move & then proceed safely.

Indicators are mostly about the efficient flow & movement of traffic, especially at busy periods.

Thank you, someone here gets it!

How do you know they are going straight on?

As I approach the roundabout from the opposite side, I see that person approaching indicating right so I come to a halt because that person has right of way. That person then proceeds straight on instead of turning right. That person was indicating right to signal that they were not exiting the first exit to turn left but that they intended to go straight on.

Had they not indicated to turn right then I could have proceeded straight on which makes for better flow of traffic and for the cars behind me.

The examples here from the highway code says to indicate right when turning right but it does not say indicate right if you are leaving on the first exit and intend to go straight on.

26/09/2014 - Hardly out of date.

Section 188
This section of the Highway Code is all about mini-roundabouts. You should apply the same rules to approaching and entering mini-roundabouts as you would normal roundabouts. It is important to remember that all vehicles must pass round the central markings, unless they are too large to do so. You will find that when driving around mini-roundabouts there is less room to manoeuvre and less time to signal, so take extra care.

New Rules and Road safety tips for drivers - The Highway Code

Thanks for that. Granted the highway code is not out of date and it does show good use of indicators i.e. indicate left on your intended exit. It was the advice which others say which confused me i.e. it does not say in the Highway code that if you are going straight on then indicate right to signal that you do not intend to leave the first exit. That's the bit which bothers me that some people think you should indicate right. All this does is slow the traffic. It does not help other road users.

Only ever use my indicators if I feel their use will give USEFUL information to another driver about my plans.

Rather than roundabouts, what is it with everyone indicating when on a slip road joining a main road/dual carriageway/motorway? I mean its a one way road, almost always no other exit so you join a slip road and you can only then join the main road, so why indicate, everyone knows you can only join the road, not like you have a choice on direction :)

After we've agreed the correct procedure for UK roundabouts can we look at French ones where everyone uses the outside lane no matter which exit they're taking?

Russ

Only ever use my indicators if I feel their use will give USEFUL information to another driver about my plans.

Rather than roundabouts, what is it with everyone indicating when on a slip road joining a main road/dual carriageway/motorway? I mean its a one way road, almost always no other exit so you join a slip road and you can only then join the main road, so why indicate, everyone knows you can only join the road, not like you have a choice on direction :)

I suspect you enter the near side lane on a motorway after not indicating and expect other users to change lane to accommodate you , who knows

My dad indicates after he's manouvered, just in case there was any doubt:dk:

I suspect you enter the near side lane on a motorway after not indicating and expect other users to change lane to accommodate you , who knows

LOL, typical answer, now go and ask a traffic officer if they think indicators are needed or even should be use when joining a main road/dual carriageway/motorway from a slip road, even if joining flowing traffic :)

Shooter560 said:
?.. what is it with everyone indicating when on a slip road joining a main road/dual carriageway/motorway? I mean its a one way road, almost always no other exit so you join a slip road and you can only then join the main road, so why indicate, everyone knows you can only join the road, not like you have a choice on direction :)
Good question and I have to admit one on which I'm still undecided. I can see it being thought of as unnecessary, but on the other hand does it do any harm? After all, leaving a slip road is changing lanes, something normally requiring advanced indication. Perhaps no need to indicate could also be applied to the driver in lane 1 of a motorway rapidly catching up with another vehicle - he's obviously going to move out to lane 2 to pass, so does he need to indicate if there are other vehicles around? I think he does. In the same way, can't we think of the indication when entering from a slip road as additional information?

LOL, typical answer, now go and ask a traffic officer if they think indicators are needed or even should be use when joining a main road/dual carriageway/motorway from a slip road, even if joining flowing traffic :)

I refer to my original statement.

Only indicate if it will benefit another road user...

If there is another road user there, it will benefit them to know your intension even if you believe your upcoming manoeuvre is obvious.

I put on my hazards, I like to keep my options open in case I change my mind after I enter.

That's not what it's about at all.

If you signal your intention to turn off a RA before crossing the path of another car that car can then proceed safely on it's way. If it knows you are going across it's path it can wait, plan it's next move & then proceed safely.
My understanding of the rules is that you don't take an indicator as a definitive statement of where a car is going, just an indication. I was always told that if I'm on a sideroad pulling out onto a mainroad and the car coming from my right is indicating to turn into the sideroad I'm leaving, NEVER to move until you see that car actually start to turn (in practice most will do it when the see the car has significantly slowed to make the manouver and is within a few yards of it), in case he changes his mind, or the indicator was accidently activated. I treat roundabout indications in the same manner. I definitely won't pull onto a roundabout just because the car that I see coming has indicated to get off the roundabout before it gets to me, it might suddenly be a case of realising that his turn-off isn't the one he thought it was.

Last edited:

He does have a point though...if you are on a slip road where else are you going...the indicator serves absolutely no purpose other than to make sure other, more self righteous, people are not upset.

I refer to my original statement.

If there is another road user there, it will benefit them to know your intension even if you believe your upcoming manoeuvre is obvious.

I suspect that when joining a motorway from the slip road there can be absolutely no ambiguity about the driver's intentions.

In other situations yes, use those signals, but in this situation whatever else would the driver be about to do?

My understanding of the rules is that you don't take an indicator as a definitive statement of where a car is going, just an indication. I was always told that if I'm on a sideroad pulling out onto a mainroad and the car coming from my right is indicating to turn into the sideroad I'm leaving, NEVER to move until you see that car actually start to turn (in practice most will do it when the see the car has significantly slowed to make the manouver and is within a few yards of it), in case he changes his mind, or the indicator was accidently activated. I treat roundabout indications in the same manner. I definitely won't pull onto a roundabout just because the car that I see coming has indicated to get off the roundabout before it gets to me, it might suddenly be a case of realising that his turn-off isn't the one he thought it was.

Indeed.

Just because a driver is not indicating on the RA I do not assume he is going to do what I expect..and will thus proceed, or not, with caution. No point in being dead right.

As I approach the roundabout from the opposite side, I see that person approaching indicating right so I come to a halt because that person has right of way. That person then proceeds straight on instead of turning right. That person was indicating right to signal that they were not exiting the first exit to turn left but that they intended to go straight on.

Had they not indicated to turn right then I could have proceeded straight on which makes for better flow of traffic and for the cars behind me.

The examples here from the highway code says to indicate right when turning right but it does not say indicate right if you are leaving on the first exit and intend to go straight on.

Good luck with that the day you meet someone turning right but not indicating. You will be found to be in the greater wrong...if you can prove he wasn't using his indicator.

It's best if people don't indicate at all on roundabouts, especially if going straight on.
The drivers that don't indicate left while you are waiting on a roundabout are the one's that annoy me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom