Do you keep your insurance while car is declared SORN?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Obviously you take the risk of fire/theft/flood and have to consider the value of the vehicle and the risks involved wherever it's parked.

I was told that my insurer for the E350 would allow suspensions of insurance: Can I suspend my Car Insurance policy? | Help and Support | esure - but I called and computer said no.

So I've just cancelled it until I need to drive it again (probably October) as new policies are cheaper anyway... £15 cancellation fee.

It's done now but just curious what do you folks do?

I did the same as you when I had too many cars, my W212 sat on the drive SORN with no insurance, not an issue.

Realistically no one’s going to steal a non-AMG W212 nowadays - or at least I wasn’t fussed as the value is low anyhow.

I was more worried about fire or something like that vs theft. It doesn't have keyless go so a headache to steal without a key vs something very modern, and it's in a very safe rural area with little to no crime.

It's on a battery charger with a cable running outside at the moment. If I go away for any period of time I'll be sure to disconnect as that could cause issues with rain (it's a waterproof cable) or animals messing with it.

It's a saving of £75/month (tax and insurance). The car has been SORN for a while, wish I'd cancelled the insurance sooner.

I was more worried about fire or something like that vs theft. It doesn't have keyless go so a headache to steal without a key vs something very modern, and it's in a very safe rural area with little to no crime.

It's on a battery charger with a cable running outside at the moment. If I go away for any period of time I'll be sure to disconnect as that could cause issues with rain (it's a waterproof cable) or animals messing with it.

It's a saving of £75/month (tax and insurance). The car has been SORN for a while, wish I'd cancelled the insurance sooner.
I think a fire is incredibly unlikely but anything is possible, you could also remove the battery completely.

To minimise the chance of fire damage I recommend you fill the car and boot full with water. No thanks required....... 😎

I keep all of mine taxed and insured, you never know when you might need to drive one of the vehicles, or even which one is not at the garage! But i probably have far less in the way of vehicles than quite a few members here :cool:

I understand the 'sorn' part, but no insurance is a risky ploy!! What if it goes missing from drive????

Hi , I have a 4x4 truck that is on a sorn but removed the batteries and made difficult to start.

If you car is stolen are you still liable for any damage caused by the theif ?

I understand the 'sorn' part, but no insurance is a risky ploy!! What if it goes missing from drive????
You can get SORN specific insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom