Do you like an engine to look good and a clean engine bay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't expressed any 'negativity towards people wanting to do this' - merely that it is of no interest to me and serves no purpose in proper maintenance - for which I am a stickler.
Not in the least 'bugged'. Perhaps others are at my response but don't ask questions you might not like the answers to.
Or an owner that devotes their efforts to maintenance not primping.

Cleaning an engine does nothing for its well being or cure any internal ills any more than washing your face will rid you of cancer.
How you cannot understand my posts will remain a mystery. Clear as day to anyone else.

I wouldn’t say your posts are clear as day. You don’t like a clean engine bay - that’s your choice. To me it shows attention to detail. I struggle to think of any downsides?

But to compare it to washing your face and cancer, how the hell that is relevant I don’t understand. I get your point, but you seem to be arguing something that nobody is disagreeing with - didn’t see the posts that said people who keep a clean engine bay clean don’t maintain their vehicles properly or use cheap oil?
Only the cleanliness of the engines internals matter.
And you don't get that by buying your engine oil on the basis of cheapest.

As I say, doesn’t make any sense - where do you draw that idea from?

But a clean engine bay probably doesn’t hurt either, does it?

You seem to suggest that an owner either spends time detailing their car or on maintenance, and that somehow those are mutually exclusive - that makes no sense at all. A properly maintained car that is kept spotlessly clean (almost ‘as new’) is surely the best of both :thumb:

I wouldn’t say your posts are clear as day. You don’t like a clean engine bay - that’s your choice. To me it shows attention to detail. I struggle to think of any downsides?

But to compare it to washing your face and cancer, how the hell that is relevant I don’t understand. I get your point, but you seem to be arguing something that nobody is disagreeing with - didn’t see the posts that said people who keep a clean engine bay clean don’t maintain their vehicles properly or use cheap oil?

As I say, doesn’t make any sense - where do you draw that idea from?

But a clean engine bay probably doesn’t hurt either, does it?

You seem to suggest that an owner either spends time detailing their car or on maintenance, and that somehow those are mutually exclusive - that makes no sense at all. A properly maintained car that is kept spotlessly clean (almost ‘as new’) is surely the best of both :thumb:

Maintenance - I prioritise it over all else.
The internal state of engines that have faults that turn up on this forum is disgusting. Carbon, sludge - I have none of that.
The external appearance of an engine is no indication of its internal health (the bit that actually matters) no more than you can tell if someone has or hasn't got cancer just by looking at them. Cleaning an engine externally does not sort internal problems 'any more than washing your face rids you of cancer'. Got it? The sheer wrongheadedness of believing because it looks good it is good has never been a stupidity I have suffered from or tolerated from others. It is just plain wrong. Style over substance. All fur coat and no knickers. Got it?

If a person chooses to clean their engine bay - fine. But there are numerous other things I would sooner engage with than that. My choice then. But the bottom line is a clean engine bay is nothing more than a preference - it contributes nothing to how the engine performs and behaves in service - the bit that matters.

As an aside, I'm curious as to how much of their own maintenance and repairs engine detailers actually do. Is cleaning it all they do? Cleaning as a surrogate for technical competence? I'd like to be wrong on that point - am I?

The internal state of engines that have faults that turn up on this forum is disgusting. Carbon, sludge - I have none of that.
The external appearance of an engine is no indication of its internal health (the bit that actually matters) no more than you can tell if someone has or hasn't got cancer just by looking at them. Cleaning an engine externally does not sort internal problems 'any more than washing your face rids you of cancer'. Got it? The sheer wrongheadedness of believing because it looks good it is good has never been a stupidity I have suffered from or tolerated from others. It is just plain wrong. Style over substance. All fur coat and no knickers. Got it?

If a person chooses to clean their engine bay - fine. But there are numerous other things I would sooner engage with than that. My choice then. But the bottom line is a clean engine bay is nothing more than a preference - it contributes nothing to how the engine performs and behaves in service - the bit that matters.

As an aside, I'm curious as to how much of their own maintenance and repairs engine detailers actually do. Is cleaning it all they do? Cleaning as a surrogate for technical competence? I'd like to be wrong on that point - am I?
Sorry, still don't understand. :dk::wallbash:

See, I think that’s where you’re going wrong - you seem to assume that those who keep an engine bay clean lack technical competence. Or use cheap oil. Or don’t maintain stuff properly. A bit of a silly assumption - can’t see your reasoning there?

Whenever I have done major engine work I always made an effort to clean the engine, ancillaries and surrounding areas. Makes it easier to spot leaks or issues and for when you need to work in there. And of course improves the appearance :cool:

You chose to post negativity towards someone’s efforts of cleaning their car and their pride. Accept that your opinion is your own, and based on an assumption that you seem to think it’s not possible to have both a clean and healthy engine at once. That really makes no sense :)

BTW, dirty engines can have problems too. Just saying ;)

See, I think that’s where you’re going wrong - you seem to assume that those who keep an engine bay clean lack technical competence. Or use cheap oil. Or don’t maintain stuff properly. A bit of a silly assumption - can’t see your reasoning there?

More observation than assumption.
How many 'what's the cheapest oil' threads have there been?
How many 'how do I delete X, Y and Z?' (bodge) threads rather than sorting and maintaining it properly?

More observation than assumption.
How many 'what's the cheapest oil' threads have there been?
How many 'how do I delete X, Y and Z?' (bodge) threads rather than sorting and maintaining it properly?
All by people who like to keep their engine bays clean?

Flawed logic.

^ Will, don't waste your energy and time on a keyboard warrior.
Having alternative views are fine, but Bellow just wants to argue for the sake of it.

That ^^ or....someone who likes the appearance of a clean engine etc and thrashes the hell out of it when he drives it. Many YT videos of idiots leaving car shows / get togethers.

I don't disagree with your second point, but do you really link having a clean engine bay with having thrashed the car?
Very tenuous at best.

I don't disagree with your second point, but do you really link having a clean engine bay with having thrashed the car?
Very tenuous at best.

Very tenuous but it is a possibility.:)

Does a clean engine mean a car that has not been thrashed? Could it be a car that had a good engine clean just before selling?

^ Anything is a possibility Rory.
From the original question of "do you like an engine bay to look clean" we have gone from honest sensible answers to patronising posts from the troll, to are all clean engines thrashed!:doh:
It was a simple enough question that some (not you) want to turn into an argument.

One other reason to in some way pay attention to the under bonnet area is the ability to actually open it! as others have mentioned cleaning lubing the catch is part of the task, I'm most concerned when buying a 2nd hand car if the bonnet release is awkward or jammed. My next door neighbour was horrified when I had to get the big daddy screwdriver out to jimmy the catch, the bonnet had not been opened for a couple of years I would guess.

Yep, like it! :) 👍

Thankyou Sir, its a old pic but the only one i have atm as at work on a different computer. I've painted the Rocker covers since then along with the Transmission coolers in the front

^ Anything is a possibility Rory.
From the original question of "do you like an engine bay to look clean" we have gone from honest sensible answers to patronising posts from the troll, to are all clean engines thrashed!:doh:
It was a simple enough question that some (not you) want to turn into an argument.

Yep - I blocked that person a while ago. I can be argumentative but he takes it to a another level.

Thankyou Sir, its a old pic but the only one i have atm as at work on a different computer. I've painted the Rocker covers since then along with the Transmission coolers in the front
Pics please, when you can. 👍

Last edited:
The amount of time an individual has spent on here posting why he doesn’t care about having a clean engine bay, he could have had a clean engine bay😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom