Do You Miss Driving Your Car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
This week I drove my car on Monday, but not again until Thursday, then again yesterday, but not today.

Now I'm looking forward to tomorrow, where I'll be turning the key again :thumb:.

On the "down" days I find myself looking forward to the next opportunity to drive.

Is this what separates the enthusiast/petrol/dieselhead from the utilitarian?

In my case, it's clearly the car not the driving, as driving the wife's Focus leaves me cold - in fact it's a chore :(

What do you think, and which camp are you in?

Last edited:
I miss driving my Range Rover. It's the nicest thing there is to sit/travel in. I just don't get chance to use it as much as I'd like to.
Absence make the heart grow fonder, though and it really is a truly remarkable motor. :cool:

In the same boat John. I had two weeks break late Nov and flying back home, I was really looking forward to getting behind the wheel again. I did miss the car, which is a strange thing to acknowledge:dk:

I drive my van during the week and I'm always looking forward to Sunday's and weekend breaks to drive my girls !:)

Being away for 2 weeks at a time just makes it even more fun when I turn the key and head for the 2hr drive to the corner shop :)

Interesting thread you have started here. Personally I'm in limbo regarding cars. I cannot work out if I'm bored of driving or just bored with my car. Everyone says I have a fantastic car and it must be me, but sadly those comments haven't helped. They could be true, but historically I remember enjoying driving a big comfy saloon. I need to drive a few different cars, mainly an S class and then make an informed decision whether I buy one or get a micra! Lol

I think you should get your wife a better car :D

Interesting thread you have started here. Personally I'm in limbo regarding cars. I cannot work out if I'm bored of driving or just bored with my car. Everyone says I have a fantastic car and it must be me, but sadly those comments haven't helped. They could be true, but historically I remember enjoying driving a big comfy saloon. I need to drive a few different cars, mainly an S class and then make an informed decision whether I buy one or get a micra! Lol
I think you just got bored with driving your cars, you need a new one! :D

LTD said:
I think you should get your wife a better car :D
mine drives a RAV4 we need to keep them keen!;)

I miss stuff from different cars when I'm driving them.

Hop back into the 124 and it being winter I miss the auto lights function. I miss actually having brakes (comparatively speaking) I miss turbo performance. I miss the "see you home lights" function. I miss the throb of the 5 cyliner engine.

Hop back into the C270 and I miss the space, grace and "looks" from other folk at Grandad driving his old motor (sort of thing) I miss my arm chair. I miss the smoooooth 6 cylinder diesel engine.

Anyone whose bothered to join a car forum is already enthusiasts :thumb:

I don't think that's true.

There are many forum "types" and some are forum enthusiasts (on the board because they enjoy interacting on boards) without necessarily being a driving enthusiast.

Since my new car arrived, I've not really driven it much, choosing to take the C32 as often as possible in anticipation of it finding a new home in the New Year.

Since I had the C32 valeted last Friday, I tried to avoid driving it to keep it clean, but I missed driving it every day, and eventually gave in on Thursday and took it to work. Wafting in it is just as good as pressing on.

A brand new car which should be the equal, or dare I say it better, by all objective measures just doesn't excite me as much as the C32, despite costing ten times more. What a car.

I keep popping in and out of the garage sorting bits for my restoration and my Citroen SM keeps saying drive me with a sultry French accent and I keep replying road salt.

Since my new car arrived, I've not really driven it much, choosing to take the C32 as often as possible in anticipation of it finding a new home in the New Year.

Since I had the C32 valeted last Friday, I missed driving it every day, and eventually gave in on Thursday and took it to work. Wafting in it is just as good as pressing on.

A brand new car which should be the equal, or dare I say it better, by all objective measures just doesn't excite me as much as the C32, despite costing ten times more. What a car.

I think that's the core of my thread Bobby :thumb:.

My neighbours think I'm a bit nutty when the 3 buckets come out and I'm still at it 2 hours later (when they are returning from cleansing the local canal :crazy:).

If I want to drive my car, I just go out and drive it!

Don't need an excuse, I just drive.

I had a motorcycle and licence on my sixteenth birthday and got up early to go for my first legal ride. On my 60th i did exactly the same and rode the same route. Bike test passed at sixteen. On my seventeenth birthday I took my mum's car out with her for my first driving lesson. Car test passed at seventeen. I love driving and always look forward to the next drive. Drove to Yeovil and back in the clk today and loved every mile. One story I like to tell is the time I rode my bike up to my parents in Largs - around 360 miles. Mum and dad were out when I turned up so what did I do? Go for a ride (the old road through the Brisbane Glen to Greenock) I even enjoy driving the Picanto - it's such a fun car to drive. I can't even think of the day when I have to hang up my leathers or stop driving. A hundred years ago we would have been train drivers. Two hundred years ago we would have ridden horses. It's just how we are wired. It is what we do.

It doesn't have blistering car performance and is not uber comfortable or well equipped like many of the chariots owned by forum members; nor does it do handling but my little van makes me smile every time I drive it and I genuinely look forward to the next time…………I just love the unexpectedness of the engine gearbox combination in a van, especially from a standing start or at the top end.

I get the exact same bug, since giving up biking I brought a nice car and it's a passion, had some spinal surgery a few weeks back and couldn't drive, it was sooooo painful having the wife cart me around, so I drove, and crashed into a concrete pillar in my new car. 2 days after the surgery I even payed someone to polish the car because I couldn't and it drove me nuts looking at it dirty, then got angry and polished it as he was s###, then put myself back in hospital, where the crash took place. My pals and neighbours think I'm nuts but it's a passion not a chore definitely for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom