Do you need anything proof read?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
A friend of mine who is a very honest person has set up his own proof reading company, I said I would put the details on here just in case any budding authors here need any help. Link to his new website below.

Mind The Gap

Yes he used to work at London Underground, any helpful comments regarding his website please, as he's a nice chap and needs a bit of help to get this off the ground.
Thanks Eddie

Last edited:
His link at the very bottom right needs to be very prominent. He is claiming to offer Expert Services so I am sure references are going to be very high on anyone's list.

On the tips page, I suggest the first line would be better as: "To correct...printers' proofs". I say this because printers is surely plural and using a single quotation around the quote initially makes proofs' look like a misplaced apostrophe.

The main thing I was looking for was the qualifications which make him an Expert. I didn't find them.

All the best in his enterprise.

Ps Targeting postgraduate student or even undergrads might be a good idea.

Home page

The 'macho' images at the top are irrelevant; they do nothing to attract readers. They could even cause many possible clients to click away from the website without having read anything.

Text throughout

The text should be first person and not third person. The way it is at the moment it looks like Murray had to get someone else to write it for him - hardly good credentials for a proofreader. Murray needs to make a connection with his audience and he can't do that if he's not talking to them directly.

Services and Contact pages

These are identical - makes no sense. Keep content applicable to page title. The reader shouldn't have to wade through the same thing twice to find what they want.

The Proofreading box shouldn't start by referring to the homepage. It should be able to stand on its own. Add a couple of paragraphs on how Murray, as a proofreader, will bring benefits to the client. (The Internet (even including Wikipedia!) has some good stuff on proofreading as guidance on what to write.)

Being picky, in the Rates box he gives charges as both "£ per hour" and "£ an hour". Both are correct, but only one should be used. It's vitally important to have everything on a proofreader's website spot on.​

Tips & Advice

The first box should be on the Proofreading page. It's not the greatest description of the art of and need for proofreading, but it does go a long way to providing the overview that I said I felt was needed on the Services page. A bit more emphasis on how difficult it is for anyone to proofread their own document would enhance his role.

How to Prepare a Document for Proofreading
The asterisks starting each bullet point should not be there.
I don't like the use of the word "either" in the first bullet point because it precedes more than two items.
There's a space missing between "(ideally)" and "be" in the 3rd bullet point.

How to Use a Proofreading Service
The same asterisk problem as above with every bullet.
Inconsistent use of periods at the end of each bullet compared to earlier use.​

References would be better located under their own tab rather than hidden away via a link at the bottom of each page.

As much as Murray likes the Locomotive Club of Great Britain, I fail to see how he can call it a "useful organisation" for those people looking for a proofreader!

My proofreading services for Murray are free for the above, but no more! ;)

On the tips page, I suggest the first line would be better as: "To correct...printers' proofs". I say this because printers is surely plural and using a single quotation around the quote initially makes proofs' look like a misplaced apostrophe.

The main thing I was looking for was the qualifications which make him an Expert. I didn't find them.

All the best in his enterprise.

Ps Targeting postgraduate student or even undergrads might be a good idea.

The opening line is actually an incorrect quote. It should read: "The act of reading (copy or printer's proofs) to detect and mark errors to be corrected." The proofreader doesn't make the corrections, but instead marks errors to be corrected. Murray could land himself with a lot of unpaid work if he claims to make the corrections himself. If he is going to deal directly with the printer then he should make this clear.

I totally agree with the need for a better indication of qualifications to call himself an expert. To some extent it's hidden away within parts of the website, but he needs to bring it to the fore (training received together with number and type of documents proofread).

Thanks for all the help so far, I will pass it all on to Murray.
What a great website this is and what a great bunch you all are Cheers!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom