Do you need Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I have spent countless fruitless hours trying to track down a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sport rear tyres for my up and coming 20" wheels.

The PSS is on back order in the UK, Germany, Holland, Belgium, but NOT France (Funny that....?). The French are not stupid; they look after their own retailers first.

I need two PSS's NOW, not in 6-8 weeks (where I may be told they are still on back-order for, you guessed it, another 6-8 weeks...!) :eek:

So I intend a Eurotunnel "Tyre Trip" to Calais in the next 10 days, where pre-ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports are available now, and at competitive prices.

I have a ‘Frequent Traveller' account that affords me significant discounts on the crossings – see below.

I’m looking for someone who also wants Michelins to join me and share the Eurotunnel costs for a French day out!

Post or PM me.

The Details:

I'm in my SL, so transporting more than 4 tyres will be a challenge, so ideally you need 2 tyres too.

But if you drive something more spacious then I suggest we can cross in that?

I'll order the tyres, drive to the Tyre shop in Calais, speak a little French, make the purchases, and return on the Eurotunnel - a crossing I do a dozen times a year, so it’s second nature for me...

Note: If you need just 2 PSS’s then I can get them in my car without you; meet up UK side afterwards and you’ll be good to go.

If several folk want PSS’s and are willing to pay their share of the Eurotunnel costs, I could drive your estate car (say) alone in order to carry more. It’s only a couple of miles French side, then back to the train.

After that you and I part company, or if we have tyres for others, rendezvous (good French word) at a suitable location, such as a west London motorway Service Station, for example.

The Eurotunnel costs (using my ‘Frequent Traveller’ discount) only £69 out, £89 back. Divide that by two, adds £79 to your bill, plus your fuel to Folkestone. The more folk who want tyres, the cheaper the Eurotunnel costs.

[Prices quoted are for any Car up to 1.85m high]. SUV’s and trailers cost more…but remember, I have my ‘Frequent Traveller’ discount].

Price example: The two 305/25/R20 I want cost (€340) £252 each. Now that's cheap for a big wide tyre!

I have to pre-order the tyres a week in advance. I’ll buy them online and email the shop in French to check they are expecting us! (Plus telephone on the day before we cross…).

Yes, you’ll have paid an ‘extra’ price for your tyres, but for me that’s worth it to reliably get PSS’s now!

Let me know if you want to team up for the day and take your car or mine on the train from Folkestone to Calais & back again :)

Cheers,
Robert
London, Wandsworth

You must really like Michelin tyres...

All the best in your endeavours. :thumb:

As they are a pain to locate, I would buy a spare set Robert, as my rears last 9/10,000 miles.

Which 20" wheels are you getting ?

Yes insanely so imo, but respect to the lengths you will go to secure your desire.

Yes insanely so imo, but respect to the lengths you will go to secure your desire.

Well it seems like a big thing, but I'm always using the Eurotunnel to drive down to my house in France.

So actually, its just feels 'normal'.

In fact, I bet I drive within a couple of Kms of the darn tyre shop every time I visit France!

So, for me, its just like getting on a number 31 bus....

Anyone care to join me?

Robert

Well it seems like a big thing, but I'm always using the Eurotunnel to drive down to my house in France.

So actually, its just feels 'normal'.

In fact, I bet I drive within a couple of Kms of the darn tyre shop every time I visit France!

So, for me, its just like getting on a number 31 bus....

Anyone care to join me?

Robert

Ah that makes sense then Robert. Also I neglected to say it was good of you to offer this to other members.

What date in the 'next 10 days' have you in mind, I was unaware that getting these tyres was such a battle, just going to check with my own tyre people tomorrow morning regards availability of 19" PSS, if its available here, if it is, will order here, if not, I may join you, I need 2 no. sets of different sizes, albeit both sets 19". I have a transit van, at worst scenario! Can confirm this tomorrow, can u please advise your potential travel date.:thumb:

Regards
R

Surely for the cost of your time and fuel to drive to France for some tyres its not worth it...can they not ship them from France? Their are lots of courier service that pick up and drop off. Not sure if you are changing alloys all together or just need tyres. If you are getting a new set of alloys cant you keep your current alloys on until they arrive? Are your tyres that bad that you need replacements straight away? Its a common problem with tyres and quite easy to order well in advance or/and order and extra set. I know when my tyres are going as i check pressure & wear weekly and will know well in advance when they need changing.

Last edited:
Surely for the cost of your time and fuel to drive to France for some tyres its not worth it...can they not ship them from France? Their are lots of courier service that pick up and drop off. Are your tyres that bad that you need replacements straight away? Its a common problem with these tyres and quite easy to order well in advance or/and order and extra set. I know when my tyres are going as i check pressure & wear weekly and will know well in advance when they need changing.

It's well worth it if the op wants Mich.

I check in advance to, but if they are on back order when you want them, you have to wait..

As they are a pain to locate, I would buy a spare set Robert, as my rears last 9/10,000 miles.

Which 20" wheels are you getting ?

Spare set - very good idea :)

I've gone with Vossen forged wheels VFS-2 in 20" x10.5J at the rear.

Not as uber light as F1BHP's Carlssons, but a third of the cost. [29lbs plays 24lbs]. Horses for courses :)

Oh, and Olly at PCS is fitting a Renntech lowering module to lower the car slightly.

I'm going 9J at the front, so need some 265/30/20 that I have already found in PSS. It's the rear 305/25/20 that is the impossible PSS to find...

Here's a poorly done Photoshop:

aVFS2-wheels-web_zpsv7zgyynp.jpg

Cheers,
Robert

What date in the 'next 10 days' have you in mind, I was unaware that getting these tyres was such a battle, just going to check with my own tyre people tomorrow morning regards availability of 19" PSS, if its available here, if it is, will order here, if not, I may join you, I need 2 no. sets of different sizes, albeit both sets 19". I have a transit van, at worst scenario! Can confirm this tomorrow, can u please advise your potential travel date.:thumb:

Regards
R

I too need to make a call to Calais tomorrow to check on timing.

The '10 days' is for a fitting appointment -that I don't need, so the time scale could be less than 10 days.

I'm flexible :)

Best transport is an estate car as a Transit will get charged more at Eurotunnel. Anyone?

Cheers,
Robert

Surely for the cost of your time and fuel to drive to France for some tyres its not worth it...can they not ship them from France? Their are lots of courier service that pick up and drop off. Not sure if you are changing alloys all together or just need tyres. If you are getting a new set of alloys cant you keep your current alloys on until they arrive? Are your tyres that bad that you need replacements straight away? Its a common problem with tyres and quite easy to order well in advance or/and order and extra set. I know when my tyres are going as i check pressure & wear weekly and will know well in advance when they need changing.

As far as shipping is concerned, this is France we are talking about, stuck in the 1950's. Go to a German site and they ship all over Europe without breaking into a sweat, but the French can be a tad xenophobic, not unlike untravelled Americans. The world exists only within their territorial boundaries.

I've looked at UK couriers going to pick up and return, but try explaining that to a French company that only deals with the French. I doubt it would work! It's expensive too :-(

As for waiting for the tyres, that's an option. I'm going to 20" rims, so there is no pressure, just like to get it done, that's all.

My fall back position is that I may need to travel to France in 2-3 weeks time, I can put a pair of second-hand tyres on the rear for very little cost. Drive to Calais, have the Super Sports fitted there and then and continue my onward journey. Probably the cheapest option of them all.

Just thought I would post and see if there were any others keen enough to get some Michelin PSS's NOW that fancied buying some cheese and wine too!!

Cheers,
Robert

My thoughts exactly, To me, Michelin means "always the dearest, never the best". My Michelin Primacy's are not as good as the Falkens I had on before, which were a lot cheaper too. Are you really sure there is no better alternative than Michelins?

Russ

Pilot super sports made such a dramatic difference when i fitted them. traction issues were halved and this was before i even had a quaife fitted.

When i got originally got mine 18months back the fronts were unavailable and awaiting stock from France. I tried Micheldever who phoned all around there aurothised dealers and finally found me some.

Not sure the criticism of the French is justified - in this case.

I can buy 4 new Goodyear F1s for my CL for under £400 delivered within 48 hours to a tyre fitting place of my choice. 18" 245 front and 265 rear.

The 20" for the XK are another £100, 255 and 285s.

That's much cheaper than I could source them in the UK.

Fitting/balancing/alignment is £11 per tyre.

Stuart

Not sure the criticism of the French is justified - in this case.

I can buy 4 new Goodyear F1s for my CL for under £400 delivered within 48 hours to a tyre fitting place of my choice. 18" 245 front and 265 rear.

The 20" for the XK are another £100, 255 and 285s.

That's much cheaper than I could source them in the UK.

Fitting/balancing/alignment is £11 per tyre.

Stuart

I have a house in rural France, near Cognac, in the Charente, and things are fairly 'Traditional' there -part of its charm actually, but not entirely geared up for the 21st century.

As for the Calais tyre place, I had found it on a list of 9 tyre centres, all of whom stated they "Delivered to France" - hence my generalisation :)

Whereabouts are you? and where is this tyre centre you mention?

Thanks,
Robert

My thoughts exactly, To me, Michelin means "always the dearest, never the best". My Michelin Primacy's are not as good as the Falkens I had on before, which were a lot cheaper too. Are you really sure there is no better alternative than Michelins?

Russ

Your point is well taken :)

My 2nd choice was Goodyear F1 A2, but they don't come in 305/25/R20.

3rd choice was either Michlein PS3's, or to try some Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R's.

I have no experience or either, and the Ultrac Vorti's are not in the "Premium" tyre category - which means very little admittedly; just I'm more wary of them than I would be of a Dunlop or a Michlein!

Of course, there are Conti 5P's. An excellent choice, but I have them on the car (in 19's) at the moment and for me, they don't inspire confidence in the wet. In fact they make me tootle round like my mum does, in the wet! (Probably not a bad thing, but that's not the point I'm making!)

I've read all the tyre reviews I can get my hands on, but they are of limited value, because they usually test smaller narrower tyres, typically for a Golf, not a 500+ bhp 1.9 ton car!

Whilst on this minor diversion, I'm pleased to share two reviews that have some relevance IMO:

2014 Auto Review Max Performance Tyre Test - TyreReviews

and

2015 Auto Bild Performance Tyre Test - TyreReviews

The Mustang (first) review is probably as close as I could find to the weight and power of my SL, so therefore the most relevant. It rates the Michelin PSS very highly. The other rates the Ultra Vorti as good in the dry.

Anyway, I hope they are of interest to others. In the meanwhile I would really like to try some PSS's :D

Cheers,
Robert

PS. I forgot to mention Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's. Anyone with experience of these?

Last edited:
I have to agree about Contis, after a nasty aquaplaning moment I went right off of them. I too lacked any faith in them in the wet. I have pilot 3s on my car at the moment but have got on well with Kumho in the past.

I had DunlopSport Maxx on my XF and they were grippy and quiet, the first two things I look for in a tyre.

I have always had PSS on the CL, a great tyre IMO. You won't go far wrong with the PSS

Love the wheels Robert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom