Do you need to service your car as often ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
One of my friends works for a well known motor company and they test the engines of their cars. They run them constantly for all sorts of mileages to test their strength. He told me the other evening that most engines will run constantly for well over 150,000 miles without an oil change :eek: .When checking the engine afterwards it is still in reasonable condition ..yes i know its not stop starts .., cold mornings etc , but it does make me think about the service intervals and whether it is a ploy of manufactures to get your car serviced at certain times and whether it is necessary :confused: . I know regular maintenance is needed for the service history and resale value but it does make you think.. :confused:

A work colleague of mine drives a toyota starlet and bought it at 20,000 miles. She has had the car for five years and the mileage is now 110,000... :eek: she has had it serviced once since she has owned it and there is not a hint of smoke. The only thing she does is keep it topped up with oil regularly, which she does religiously every month !!!!

Users of large diesel engines (railways, power generators etc) monitor oil condition by sampling and only change it on condition. The Service Assyst is a simplified version of that, recommending service intervals based on usage.

Mind you it's not only the engine that receive attention at service intervals. How does the lady who covered 100k miles on one service monitor brake wear for example? Gentle graunching noises as the calipers chew the discs?

I think the constant running is a bit of a red herring. A steady speed with a hot engine means that the engine is not clocking up a service 'deficit' at that moment. The service deficit happens when the engine is cold, and/or under heavy load.

And as DieselE so rightly says, the engine is only a small part of it.

Things have changed a lot. I've seen throttle linkages on old Rolls Royces that would take half a day to set up properly, and would need adjusting every six months. Nowadays its just a case of "suck the oil out and drop x.x litres back in".

BUT they do flash a torch around and make sure the wheels aren't about to drop off as well, and it would be foolhardy to omit that check just because these days the engine oil lasts a long time.

From personal expereice I'd say that the maximum mileage before an oil change should not exceeed 20/22 000 (ish miles) - Thats how long the servcie intervals are on the CDI Sprinter and when approaching the 21000 miles mark the vehcile /engine does not feel as smooth/responsive with gear changes. Straight after the oil change/service the vehilce drives much better/smoother and you can really notice the differnce. But I do agree with your point that some manufactuerers such as Ford, for example, have some sort of "cartel" as they state that their cars have to be serviced every 12500 miles or anually at least...

Flash said:
Straight after the oil change/service the vehilce drives much better/smoother and you can really notice the differnce.
That's because the oil level has been increased. My ML did and my C does sound quieter and is smoother after a quick drink (a little like myself)

Some trucks - including Scania - use centrifugal oil filters and run nigh for ever on original oil. Some car companies have tested it. One of them even using a non-serviceable locked in oil and filter.

Hang on. Let us not forget that MB USA had to fork out huge amounts of dosh not that long ago in a settlement with owners because many engines ruined thanks to confusion over the differences between US and European oil specifications.

Certain oils marketed in the US under the same branding and name as in Europe were simply not up to coping with extended drain period. There was (and still is) a general trend amongst US motorists for more frequent oil changes than in the UK. Hard to say if this is in reaction to or created a market for low cost oils but this continues and as can be seen from link below creates problems with some modern engines, especially those with narrow oilways that can become clogged easily.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=122&did=1113

Depends on how and where you drive and if you want to keep the car for the longer term but my approach has always been to use high quality oils and do interim oil changes.

blassberg said:
That's because the oil level has been increased. My ML did and my C does sound quieter and is smoother after a quick drink (a little like myself)

:) - I have always kept the engine oil level topped to the correct maximum level (8/8.5 lItres) as the computer tells you the level on the dash display and the vehilce also comes with a manual dip stick that I use to cross reference but the vehilce drove just liek it did when was new after the service and stil does.

Off Topic: I was happy with the service and timing interval - they picked up on an additional fault/leak with the steering rack and replaced the entire steering rack/PAS pump under warranty. They also changed the speaker and casing under warranty (even though nothing was wrong with speaker as it was just the casing doing the rattleing upon my request without even test driving the vehicle... :cool: - Shame none of the car Staelers operate like them.

Last edited:
My SLK is 17 months old with 2,260 miles on the clock and its telling me that a "B" service is due in 26 days.

gary

Gary350, that's because the mileage gets over-ridden by time after 16 months. The car will continue to deteriorate even if not driven, and ASSYST accounts for this.

nickmann said:
Gary350, that's because the mileage gets over-ridden by time after 16 months. The car will continue to deteriorate even if not driven, and ASSYST accounts for this.[/QUOTe

I thought it was 2 years as my other slk but thanks I will not swear at the dealer when I book it in then.

To change the subject I have found my new 4 door car (as the wife says I must have as daughter is having my 1st grandkid), just got to convince the wife that the 170K is going to a good cause - its the Aston Martin Rapide.

gary

gary350 said:
nickmann said:
Gary350, that's because the mileage gets over-ridden by time after 16 months. The car will continue to deteriorate even if not driven, and ASSYST accounts for this.[/QUOTe

I thought it was 2 years as my other slk but thanks I will not swear at the dealer when I book it in then.

To change the subject I have found my new 4 door car (as the wife says I must have as daughter is having my 1st grandkid), just got to convince the wife that the 170K is going to a good cause - its the Aston Martin Rapide.

gary

A Ferrari (most mosts models from F355 genertaion and onwards) need a major service every 6000 miles and the cam belts need doing at small peredioc intervals too.

Aston Martin wont be any better - MB servicing is much cheaper in comparision IF your only changing to Aston Martin because of the servicing issue BUT if money is not an issue then servicing will not be a problem... ;)

I have never had an issue payinmg Stealer rates for servicing BUT have never revecieved the level/quality fo service that I should get...

How about a much cheaper and just as elegant alternative .. the CLS?

gary350 said:

gary

petef said:
but it does make me think about the service intervals and whether it is a ploy of manufactures to get your car serviced at certain times and whether it is necessary :confused: . I know regular maintenance is needed for the service history and resale value but it does make you think.. :confused:

I thought manufacturers were increasing service intervals to reduce costs and make the cars more attractive to fleets.

Honest John (Daily Torygraphs motoring agony aunt) still maintains every 6months/6,000 miles for an oil and filter change, even with fully synthetic oil. Seems a bit too keen to me, unless you know you're going to keep the car for 20 years (and how many people do that?)

Personally I have an A or B service every 10,000 miles, which is usually 6 months.

(EDIT. When I say personally I have a service every 10,000 miles, I mean the car of course!!)

jeremytaylor said:
I thought manufacturers were increasing service intervals to reduce costs and make the cars more attractive to fleets.

One of the reasons that the Sprinter and Trucks always win i.e. the the "Fleet Van Year of the Award" is down to the big Service Intervals i.e. 20 000 miles plus... They spend less time off the road being serviced... and amkes them more economical to run.

Alot of Sprinters are on lease...

Last edited:
C240Sport97 said:
How about a much cheaper and just as elegant alternative .. the CLS?

I have driven the CLS and like the drive but there are two flaws, the backend is not my cup of tea and its is a four seater only and five would be better, I am tempted by the new MLs but the wife is a bit indifferent to 4x4, any ideas?

PS the S is too wide for both of my 2 garages (double garage 2 doors)

gary

gary350 said:
I have driven the CLS and like the drive but there are two flaws, the backend is not my cup of tea and its is a four seater only and five would be better, I am tempted by the new MLs but the wife is a bit indifferent to 4x4, any ideas?

gary

What about the E on which the CLS is based?

The CLS is colour and like many cars, wheel sensitive. I saw one in Iridium Grey (a special CLS only colour I think) with 18" alloys yesterday, and it was just gorgeous.

How about the Maserati Quattroporte ....

It still has a Ferrari engine and isn't a glorified Fiat like future Maseratis are going to be.

gary350 said:

gary

petef said:
She has had the car for five years and the mileage is now 110,000... :eek: she has had it serviced once since she has owned it and there is not a hint of smoke. The only thing she does is keep it topped up with oil regularly, which she does religiously every month !!!!

I am very much in line with DieselE on this point. Changing the filter and oil is only a small part of some servicing.

John

Last edited:
DieselE said:
Users of large diesel engines (railways, power generators etc) monitor oil condition by sampling and only change it on condition. The Service Assyst is a simplified version of that, recommending service intervals based on usage.

Mind you it's not only the engine that receive attention at service intervals. How does the lady who covered 100k miles on one service monitor brake wear for example? Gentle graunching noises as the calipers chew the discs?
.....she waits for the mot to do the safety checks, and to pick up on things like worn brakes etc ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom