Do you order using words or numbers?

Do you order using words or numbers?

• Numbers. I'm like rainman

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Words. I can remember them

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I'm too health conscious for takeaways, and don't get me started on McDonalds

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I say I'm too health conscious for takeaways, but I'm not really, I just want you to think I am

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
When you order a takeaway by phone, do you order using words or numbers?

For example, do you say "Number 1, 22 and a 6 please" or "Chicken & sweetcorn Soup, a fillet steak with wine & chilli, and a chicken fried rice please"

Words first, then clarify misunderstanding using numbers :)

I've voted words because that's that's how I used to order in the dark ages before Just-Eat.

I don't do either. I just say, "Hello, it's Anthony"

"It'll be ready to collect in 20 minutes" they reply.

Phone down. Order made :D

"Cod, large chips, large mushy peas, please."

Naga chicken, tarka dall, sag aloo and garlic nan. No idea what numbers they are.

Top marks to those who voted "I say I'm too health conscious for takeaways, but I'm not really, I just want you to think I am" :D

Having used the same Chinese takeaway for more than 20 years, the experience is usually similar to Ant's, however just recently I tried a different takeaway as ours was closed for an extended period. As I waited for our order I noticed every telephone order was by number.

So tonight I tried ordering by numbers too, and part way through the guy said "Don't worry with the numbers, I can tell you're struggling!". When I collected he said doesn't like receiving orders by number either!!

Words. I've tried giving them the numbers, thinking it's purpose is to speed things up, clarify, etc, but it seems to throw a spanner in the works.

Having used the same Chinese takeaway for more than 20 years/QUOTE]

I never did get to try one of those Chicken Bang Bangs. Are they still serving those?

Hehe. Yes Bobby. Ours is shut now for 2 weeks also. The other nearest 2 are too far away to travel.

We've been using our regular since we moved here 9 years ago. I was serious with our phone ordering. I just tell them it's me. We made an agreement a few years ago that when I phone, I want a £15 lucky dip. It's a great way to explore the menu and never been disappointed as the food there is gorgeous. And it's very apparent that we get more than £15 worth.

Another thing to mention is because we've got to know them well and quite friendly. I do all their building related work and maintenance and actually have my own key for the premises, so I can pop and do the work during a time that suits my work load. The whole place including the kitchens are unbelievably clean.

I'm sure they are 'dirty' establishments around but ours is certainly not one of them.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I answered "Words" but it's the better half who does the ordering, I can't understand a thing what the Chinese woman says, it's a very heavy accent, and my wife has the patience for such matters.

I never did get to try one of those Chicken Bang Bangs. Are they still serving those?

Your memory must be incredible! I can't remember mentioning that, but Bang Bang Chicken is a favourite of mine!!

Ant, a £15 Lucky Dip ? That sounds like a great idea but is something that is not done around my way. So can I assume that the dishes are labelled up so you know what you've tried off the menu ?
Something else that is not done by my local :confused:

I voted for going to Specsavers. I can't read the yellow one!

Your memory must be incredible! I can't remember mentioning that, but Bang Bang Chicken is a favourite of mine!!

You mentioned it on our trip back from Ollie's years ago.
I had never heard of it before and know it must surely be a local dish (possibly called something else in other areas).
I must try one one day, just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

THIS takeaway isn't far from us.

One of the dishes listed on the menu is - Little Panda Special Fried Rice. How cruel is that?

THIS takeaway isn't far from us.

One of the dishes listed on the menu is - Little Panda Special Fried Rice. How cruel is that?

Small world. We travelled to Hale last Friday to the Spire Clinic that sits above RBS in Hale Village. What a lovely place. We had a coffee in a place were we actually felt like poor people. I was almost embarresed to get my iPhone 4 out of my pocket. :eek:

Ant. :D

You mentioned it on our trip back from Ollie's years ago.
I had never heard of it before and know it must surely be a local dish (possibly called something else in other areas).
I must try one one day, just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Paul, you might be right about a local dish. Not many Chinese takeaways/restaurants do it around here, so maybe even fewer further afield.

So to the MBClub collective...

Let's unleash the power of MBClub to find out. Open that drawer, the one with the takeaway menus in. It might be in the kitchen, or maybe the hall, but you know the one. Get all of the Chinese ones out, and scour the menu for Bang Bang Chicken!

It's a bed of chilled cucumber strips, sometimes lettuce, chilled slithers of chicken, and warm satay sauce, and typically served as a starter.

Paul, you might be right about a local dish. Not many Chinese takeaways/restaurants do it around here, so maybe even fewer further afield.

So to the MBClub collective...

Let's unleash the power of MBClub to find out. Open that drawer, the one with the takeaway menus in. It might be in the kitchen, or maybe the hall, but you know the one. Get all of the Chinese ones out, and scour the menu for Bang Bang Chicken!

It's a bed of chilled cucumber strips, sometimes lettuce, chilled slithers of chicken, and warm satay sauce, and typically served as a starter.

I think Wagamamma do a dish of this name, might actually be different though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom