Do you put winter tires on your AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aamir

Car
W213 E63S AMG
Hey all!

I'm going to be taking delivery of a W213 E63S in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I should be putting winters on the car or not. It's my first time owning and driving something this high-performance in this type of weather.

I live in the South West, so not too frosty, but we get the occasional -1C night.

Cheers for the help!

I bought winter tyres for my E55 when I had it, but since buying the tyres it didn't snow once !

Im not going to bother for the E63

I have winter tyres on my C63.

They make a huge difference to grip, handling, traction and stopping distance when the weather is cold and wet.

There doesn't need to be snow to notice the difference!

I can’t really see the point unless you know you’ll be driving it in the snow. That’s when your talking about tyres! If your talking winter wheels then if it’s a daily driver I can understand that you wouldn’t want your good wheels knackered by the salt on the roads.

Down here in the deep South I haven't bothered putting my winter tyres on any of my cars for the last three winters. I guess the further up North you are the likelihood of much colder temperatures and sleet/snow increase justifying winter tyres. It's a bit like Russian Roulette though because if you get caught out it's too late.
It is very much about low temperature performance though, being a real weather nerd I haven't really felt the temperatures have been that low where I live. I did put all season tyres on my vans though.

I’ve winters on my E63- Uniroyal MS Plus 77- went for 255/35/19 all round (as suggested by St13Phil)- Oponeo £600 for the 4 including fitting, balancing etc.
As others have said it’s the grip levels in the cold (sub 7o) which you notice- that and wet/slush/leafs
I’m a convert, wouldnt drive in winter without- especially horsing 560 odd HP through the rears!
Yours is 4matic though?

I used winter tyres on my ML63 (W166) in the winter. I use M+S tyres on my GLC

Winter tyres improve the winter performance even when not snowing.

R

Yes mine have just gone on. Yokohama W Drives (V902B)

Essential for Scottish conditions and saves wear on my Goodyear F1s

I’ve winters on my E63- Uniroyal MS Plus 77- went for 255/35/19 all round (as suggested by St13Phil)- Oponeo £600 for the 4 including fitting, balancing etc.
As others have said it’s the grip levels in the cold (sub 7o) which you notice- that and wet/slush/leafs
I’m a convert, wouldnt drive in winter without- especially horsing 560 odd HP through the rears!
Yours is 4matic though?

I echo this; I have these tyres on at the moment and they perform very well indeed.

I used to but it just doesn't get that cold anymore round my way.

Well I suppose it would be a good idea if you live in a area of the country which does get lots of snow and ice in the winter,where I live we had about two inches of snow about 5 years ago,so a set of winter tyres is just not important,I have to say if I did own a high performance car and a expensive one and lived in a area that got show every year, I would invest in a 4x4 beast to use in the winter months something cheap to keep going when lots are stuck.

Winter tyres aren't just for snow and ice... They work well at low temps, below 7c.

The problem with just the slightest amount of snow is that you still can't get anywhere even on winter tyres because the vast majority of other road uses are stuck and blocking the roads.

The cars we drive throughout winter have winter tyres. Like Richard, both of our ML63 have winter tyres to make them an all year round proposition. Wide rigid performance tyres (and automatic transmissions) aren't well suited to cold weather driving, even with four wheel drive.

What about non-AMG cars?

My C350 has been fine for the last couple of winters on standard tyres, taking it steady where necessary. There has been no snow to deal with, and if it was snowy I wouldn't drive it. I'm about to have two new rear tyres fitted and did consider whether to get winter tyres all round. I decided against it in the end. It's no AMG but it's still 270bhp and rear wheel drive. Do people generally put winter tyres on cars like this each year?

I fitted winter tyres on my 170bhp C270cdi and I was very pleased I did after an unexpected snow fall just before a 200 miles drive.

I even used to run winters on my C180K which was totally transformed that one winter we had snow- it was useless on summers

No. Seems a !ot of expense and troub!e particularly down south when for 99% of the winter good summer tyres will be better

I've never fitted winter tyres on my own cars, but drove test cars with winter tyres when I was based in Hamburg a few years ago. They definitely help, I've just been too tight to stump up for a winter set myself.

This will be the first winter with my W212 E63 and have been giving serious thought to putting winters on it, but have decided against it for a couple of reasons:

1. Living in London, I'm not sure the weather is bad enough to warrant the cost, and perhaps more importantly:
2. Unless fitting winter tyres becomes mandatory I don't see the point at all. I maybe able to drive and stop in terrible conditions with them on, but the vast majority of the country won't have them, so what's stopping them from sliding into me or blocking the roads?

If weather gets really bad and the E63 is undriveable, I'll just have to stay in!

On the flip side I use quality winter tyres all the year round with no ill-effects. :cool:

Granted that they won't help achieve the best lap times or nail the perfect drift but even in the hottest of London summer days they were fine. You really feel the difference in how well the car is planted whenever the roads are wet which is quite often in Britain and you are good should you encounter the white stuff.

Mileage wise I get close to 20k out of a set. I keep my wheel alignment checked/adjusted regularly and it's worth swapping them front/rear to compensate for the additional wear of the driven wheels.

Personal experience wise I have been happy with winter tyres from Dunlop, Yokohama, Nankang and Jinyu. I did try a set of Hankook winters once but to me they felt OK and not as good as the others I have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom